thetrinity
    penetrate me to tears
    thetrinity's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5536

awkward super bowl party situation

here it goes, wondering what you guys think.

ive been small time booking mainly nfl games since the beginning of the year. i have 3 guys betting with me and the 1 wants me to come to his super bowl party. basically, i know that we are going to be on other sides of the fence in this game, and im expecting him to make a big bet on the other side since hes down a good chunk since we last squared up (after bcs championship game). i dont really wana go because i think itll be weird rooting against him at his own party. on the other hand, i dont really have any other options as far as partys go. what do you guys think?

Iced
    Iced's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12

post on sbr in dark-lit basement while the super bowl is on with the rest of us, friends and parties are for squares

frizzelli
    frizzelli's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12

Quote Originally Posted by thetrinity View Post
    here it goes, wondering what you guys think.

ive been small time booking mainly nfl games since the beginning of the year. i have 3 guys betting with me and the 1 wants me to come to his super bowl party. basically, i know that we are going to be on other sides of the fence in this game, and im expecting him to make a big bet on the other side since hes down a good chunk since we last squared up (after bcs championship game). i dont really wana go because i think itll be weird rooting against him at his own party. on the other hand, i dont really have any other options as far as partys go. what do you guys think?
    Get more friends.

WvGambler
    WvGambler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 150

Hell no you dont go. Shouldnt be mixing business with pleasure anyways.

You think this is uncomfortable? Go to the party, become better friends with the guy and THEN try to collect on time. That's what he wants anyway.
    Last edited by WvGambler; 02-01-12 at 11:04 AM.

Reload
    Winning Aint Easy
    Reload's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 14742

Business is business. I would take him up on going. Will build your relationship and get more action from him after the Super Bowl.

InTheDrink
    Drinker of the Year
    InTheDrink's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 527

Quote Originally Posted by frizzelli View Post
    Get more friends.

is this guy serious with this question? no friends? go to a fukkin bar

cankid
    cankid's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10316

people are on opposite sides all the time, if you ve been in the game long enough, u should be used to it by now.... just go to a strip club party and watch it

denn333
    Update your status
    denn333's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 14

Go, you might pick up a few more players.

thetrinity
    penetrate me to tears

god clowns i have friends, no one else is having a party for the game though. he was the first offer i got. im perfectly fine watching the game at home by myself. a lot of my "friends" are already going to be at his party anyways. im not really trying to build a booking empire or anything, this guy sorta came to me him and one of his friends, they are acquantiances of mutual friends. seems kinda rude to turn down his invitation when i dont have much else to do, but i dont wana get real friendly with him either.

im honestly not even worried about him paying me, hes got plenty of money and is a stand up guy by all accounts. his friend is a little shaky, but i pretty much limit him.

HoulihansTX
    Bowl $ea$on
    HoulihansTX's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 295

How about just not rooting, and watching like us "Sharps" do.

High3rEl3m3nt
    SBR's 7 figure Contractor
    High3rEl3m3nt's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4134

I don't know what small time booking means, but hanging out with the people who you conduct transactions with seems like your setting yourself up for some major problems.

Here's what you do: if you prefer to be a socialite, throw a party at your place, or strong arm one of your friends to throw a party at their place. You avoid the awkwardness, drink freely, and chit-chat throughout the whole game, which is why I can't stand being at parties during big games, regarless of whether I have a play on them.

FindTheLock
    FindTheLock's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 191

go to the party, hit on his girlfriend, eat all of his food, and then tell him he better pay up on schedule... Ask the GF for her number on your way out.

hels
    hels's Avatar Become A Pro!

This is a difficult situation. If he's a good guy that is only betting for the enjoyment of it and it's not effecting him financially then I think it is ok to go. If when he's watching the game his emotions are all over the place and he's easily angry/gleeful then stay the **** away.

ebbearsfb1
    ebbearsfb1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1694

Does he own a gun or rifle of any kind? Then follow hels advice

unusialsusp5
    unusialsusp5's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3601

you absolutely cannot hang out with your "customers" especially at a super bowl party at his house. no one invites their "bookie" to watch the game with them. tell them you have to stay home for 2nd half bets for some new customers you picked up. you need 3 more customers that average about 500.00 a week in handle and you won't ever have to work again. no socializing with your customers. it is an unwritten rule in bookie land, as they will begin to resent you for taking their money.

ZetaPsi808
    July 2011 Poster of the Month
    ZetaPsi808's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1982

Quote Originally Posted by unusialsusp5 View Post
    you absolutely cannot hang out with your "customers" especially at a super bowl party at his house. no one invites their "bookie" to watch the game with them. tell them you have to stay home for 2nd half bets for some new customers you picked up. you need 3 more customers that average about 500.00 a week in handle and you won't ever have to work again. no socializing with your customers. it is an unwritten rule in bookie land, as they will begin to resent you for taking their money.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Are you in the mafia guy??

Do you give them a cut of the action??

If you did this areound here you would be in trouble.

Dad
    2011 Adult Entertainer of the Year
    Dad's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1086

Go to his party, eat all of his food, drink his beers and make him pay you after the game. That would be an all time classic.

But it would be a bit strange to sit there cheering on the other side of the game right in front of him when he is a client of yours.

How much is he betting with you?

thetrinity
    penetrate me to tears

Quote Originally Posted by HoulihansTX View Post
    How about just not rooting, and watching like us "Sharps" do.
    i meant inwardly rooting. even if i didnt say anything it would be obvious who i want to win.

Quote Originally Posted by hels View Post
    This is a difficult situation. If he's a good guy that is only betting for the enjoyment of it and it's not effecting him financially then I think it is ok to go. If when he's watching the game his emotions are all over the place and he's easily angry/gleeful then stay the **** away.
    he started out betting pretty small, but he just bet 400 dollars on the pro bowl last week. most of his bets were parlays for 50 or 100 bucks and a few straights for 100 or 200. around a few months ago he began betting around 500 which i limited him to. he can afford a few hundred a week or so, i dont think he can keep on losin 550 on one bet though. he drinks and gets crazy during the games i have heard. he mainly only bets nfl, throws in a college football or nba every so often. hes pretty much done after this game for the year.

jj the mafia wouldnt waste there time with what my handle is.

thetrinity
    penetrate me to tears

Quote Originally Posted by unusialsusp5 View Post
    this is basically how i felt, no matter if hes my only client or not. he was at a christmas party i went to but i didnt really socailize with him there.

secretstash
    secretstash's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 45

best question not asked...

dude is down to u and is gonna make a big bet.. ur a small bookie.. what side DO U NEED

if its not pats ur probably lying

-stash

unusialsusp5
    unusialsusp5's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3601

the guys not lying. it is best not to be around your customers when they are betting a key game against you. someone will be glad happy and gloating and the other will be depressed mad and angry. what good can come of that. it is one thing to meet your bookie at a bar for payoff and collections and have a drink with them, but to watch the game at his house is preposterous.

aggieshawn
    SBR youtube Channels
    aggieshawn's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 1586

I didn't JJ was throwing a party?