Mr KLC
    Mr KLC's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 408

Astros Talking About Changing Their Name

I've been an Astros fan since the first time my dad took me to the Astrodome in June 1977. I have been with them through the good times, and the very bad times (including last year). As painful as it was, I came to grips with them being shipped to the American League in 2013, by the forceful hand of Bud Selig, even though I prefer the National League game much more. Now Jim Crane, the new owner, is contemplating having a name change to coincide with the 2013 move.

Crane says the name might be outdated now that the space shuttle program has been scrapped. He says that many fans were upset in the 60's when they changed the Colt .45's name to the Astros, and life went on. My retort would be that the franchise was only 3 years old at the time the first name change came about, so there would not be near the backlash of a change back then then there would be now. Maybe the space program is not what it used to be, but after a certain amount of time (almost 5 decades), I would think that the term "Astros" is firmly embedded when you talk Houston, or maybe even MLB, baseball.

Crane is going to do a study, and come to a conclusion by the end of next year. I have no problem with new uniforms. I think the ones they have been wearing for the last decade are a hideous shade of red, and could be updated, but to change the name? Crane can say that the Astros will always be a part of their history, but with the move to the AL, and the name change, it won't be the same team to me.

HoulihansTX
    Bowl $ea$on
    HoulihansTX's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 295

Trust me, this topic is a waste of time. Tell Crane to do a study on minor league/Foreign league, and advanced scouting. Then follow that up with fielding major league sqaud. If they were called the Houston Oil Spills, yet won a few playoff games people would cheer with pride.

konck
    Listen the toilet is flushing
    konck's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2311

I like the name Lastro's

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR
    Chi_archie's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2380

Willie Bee is not gonna like this

doublej95
    Co Power Poster 2011
    doublej95's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 19

He should keep the Astros name.

Cookie Monster
    Large moneylines
    Cookie Monster's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9852

Houston Disastros?

Salmon Steak
    Salmon Steak's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 613

Gotta do something to get that stink off of them. Doesn't look like winning will be an option.

BigDofBA
    BigDofBA's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2011

They Astros have been good the last decade. They won the NL not too long ago and were challenging my Cardinals like 5 years ago.

You don't change your teams name because you sucked the last two years.

Mr KLC
    Mr KLC's Avatar SBR PRO

Word came out yesterday that Crane is not going to do it now. A Houston Chronicle poll said that 81 percent of fans were against it. I'm concerned about this owner. If he is considering dramatic changes like this at the start, what's going to happen when he gets comfortable?

FindTheLock
    FindTheLock's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 191

the fans are what make the teams go round. If they piss off their fan base then they will bankrupt themselves. I wonder if some of these rich guys inherited their fortune or won the lottery sometimes, because some of them are idiots.

Ace_of_Spades
    Golazo De Riverrrr!
    Ace_of_Spades's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 79

Did i just read this correctly? The Astros are now in the AL in 13? Why?

Mr KLC
    Mr KLC's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by Ace_of_Spades View Post
    Did i just read this correctly? The Astros are now in the AL in 13? Why?
    Part of the agreement MLB/Selig made with the ownership change in Houston. They wouldn't approve the sale unless the new owner agreed to move to the AL West. They want two leagues with 15 teams. There will be interleague play every week from now on.

Ace_of_Spades
    Golazo De Riverrrr!
    Ace_of_Spades's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 79

Give the Rangers and Angels easier wins

Mr KLC
    Mr KLC's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by Ace_of_Spades View Post
    Give the Rangers and Angels easier wins
    ...and the Mariners and A's regular wins.

Blissit02
    Blissit02's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 43

Mr Klc die hard astros fan as well and I agree a name change would have been awful. I am excitied about this young group of kids. Looking or 75 wins this year :-). Do you live in houston ?

Mr KLC
    Mr KLC's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by Blissit02 View Post
    Mr Klc die hard astros fan as well and I agree a name change would have been awful. I am excitied about this young group of kids. Looking or 75 wins this year :-). Do you live in houston ?
    Used to when I was growing up. Live in Tennessee now. I think we have a good, young core in the field. Pitching is going to be the major issue. Its up in the air due to the fact that we don't know if they are going to trade Myers or Wandy yet. I wouldn't mind keeping them both because I believe it keeps us competitive. Myers had a horrible year in 2011, but looked awesome in 2010. I think the real Brett Myers is somewhere in between. Norris is solid as a 3rd starter. Lyles could eventually be the ace of this staff. The bullpen, as in the past years is dreadful. These kids are going to have to try and grow accustomed to scoring 5-6 runs a game if they want to win 70-75 games this year.

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR
    Chi_archie's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2380

I want to see the astros turn things around

GatorTD
    GatorTD's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 36

The only thing that caught my attention was the idea of changing the name to the Oilers. The thought of a columbia blue jersey with a white "Oilers" on the front outlined in red would be the only thing that would keep me from burning MMP if they changed the name.

milwaukee mike
    milwaukee mike's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7585

astros and rockets are good team names
    i say keep em

the brewers moving to the national league took some getting used to, but as time goes by you'll care less and less and embrace the new rivalries