griz
    FEB 2012 POTM
    griz's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 607

ATTN: Salesmen who post on SBR

what are some good resources for a young person entering the sales industry? i have heard that there are some great books but the guy didnt tell me what ones. any good web resources?

took a class "Sales and Sales Management" in Business school, but of course i fukked off all semester and didnt really learn anything.

guys thanks in advance, i need to get my knowledge up by Friday.

john230
    john230's Avatar Become A Pro!

Used to be in sales. I would do a google search on negotiation. Learning how to negotiate can critical in a salesman's success.

daimoshokage
    daimoshokage's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 57

Saloon this shit!

wal66
    wal66's Avatar Become A Pro!

Target their gullibility, their greed and convince them that everything you do is designed to benefit them at a great personal expense to yourself. Just ask Walker.

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR
    Chi_archie's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2380

making friends and influencing people

BIGDAY
    angelman.org
    BIGDAY's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 24866

Gl Griz. Just be an honest approachable person and know your product inside and out and you'll be fine.

Hoja Verdes
    Broncos Under 7.5 Wins -105
    Hoja Verdes's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 169

Quote Originally Posted by john230 View Post
    Used to be in sales. I would do a google search on negotiation. Learning how to negotiate can critical in a salesman's success.
    Agreed. I'm technically in sales, but I do more negotiating than selling...essentially selling my ability to negotiate.

opie1988
    I have a MAJOR fukkin clue..
    opie1988's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1012

You're not going to get much from a book, Griz.....especially not one you'd have to absorb in 2 days. Sales isn't rocket science. If you're a people person, you can absolutely be a good salesman. All you have to do is believe in what you're selling, and natural ability takes over from there.

When it comes to sales.....you either got it, or you don't.

SBR
    Poster of
    Year 2011

griz
    FEB 2012 POTM

thanks men. i feel like i am walking into the land of opportunity

Fang-Banger
    Fang-Banger's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 186

Go watch the movie Glen Gary Glen Ross. Give you real insight into sales. Pay close attention to Alec Baldwin's scene, it's a classic

Al Masters
    Al Masters's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 11516

Quote Originally Posted by griz View Post
    what are some good resources for a young person entering the sales industry? i have heard that there are some great books but the guy didnt tell me what ones. any good web resources?

took a class "Sales and Sales Management" in Business school, but of course i fukked off all semester and didnt really learn anything.

For a guy who seems to HATE all non pros,shouldn't you have made this a pro only thread?

How in the world can a lowly non pro possibly help someone like you, when were all broke dikks who know nothing.

Treat all with respect until they do something to lose that respect,stop being a punk ass jerkoff and hating cause they have chosen to not be a pro.

Chances are whatever the fuckk you're doing this Friday that you need knowledge by then,the person you'll be up against(weather a teacher or job interviewer or whatever) will not be an SBR Pro, do not give them the same attitude you give all non pros here.

Also,The best salesman in the world...........by Og Mandino

Hope that helps!

Smoke
    Smoke's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1510

Quote Originally Posted by opie1988 View Post
    You're not going to get much from a book, Griz.....especially not one you'd have to absorb in 2 days. Sales isn't rocket science. If you're a people person, you can absolutely be a good salesman. All you have to do is believe in what you're selling, and natural ability takes over from there.

When it comes to sales.....you either got it, or you don't.

griz
    FEB 2012 POTM

Quote Originally Posted by Al Masters View Post
    For a guy who seems to HATE all non pros,shouldn't you have made this a pro only thread? How in the world can a lowly non pro possibly help someone like you, when were all broke dikks who know nothing. Treat all with respect until they do something to lose that respect,stop being a punk ass jerkoff and hating cause they have chosen to not be a pro. Chances are whatever the fuckk you're doing this Friday that you need knowledge by then,the person you'll be up against(weather a teacher or job interviewer or whatever) will not be an SBR Pro, do not give them the same attitude you give all non pros here. Also,The best salesman in the world...........by Og Mandino Hope that helps!
    what the fukk u talking about pal?
    let me put u on notice - i do not carry SBR with me into the outside world, especially in a work environment.
    sounds like u have some serious insecurities about your pro status pal.

who the fukk are u anyway???? dont recall any previous interaction with u

broke dikk

Al Masters
    Al Masters's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 11516

what the fukk u talking about pal?
    let me put u on notice - i do not carry SBR with me into the outside world, especially in a work environment.
    sounds like u have some serious insecurities about your pro status pal.

who the fukk are u anyway???? dont recall any previous interaction with u

broke dikk

Oh i see what you mean,you're a nice guy in the real world,just a punk ass cuntt in forumville.

now i understand thanks for clearing that up for my non pro broke dikk.

Stop with all the hate, you have to get some knowledge in before Friday,the hating can wait till
    the weekend,at that point, odds are you will have fuckked up the Friday gig,so you should be good and drunk and in prime form for hating.

Grits n' Gravy
    Bigdaddyqh diddles kids
    Grits n' Gravy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 41120

Study Bill Clinton. Guy is a natural salesman.

opie1988
    I have a MAJOR fukkin clue..
    opie1988's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1012

Quote Originally Posted by Grits n' Gravy View Post
    Study Bill Clinton. Guy is a natural salesman.
    Absolutely.

I've known numerous people who have been around Clinton, and every single one of them agreed that he is by far the most naturally charming guy you'll ever meet. He's just got that certain something. When you talk to the guy, you simply can't help but like him.

SBR
    Poster of
    Year 2011

griz
    FEB 2012 POTM

Quote Originally Posted by Al Masters View Post
    Oh i see what you mean,you're a nice guy in the real world,just a punk ass cuntt in forumville. now i understand thanks for clearing that up for my non pro broke dikk. Stop with all the hate, you have to get some knowledge in before Friday,the hating can wait till the weekend,at that point, odds are you will have fuckked up the Friday gig,so you should be good and drunk and in prime form for hating.
    listen pal i really dont give a fukk about ur pro status.

i have heard same things about Bill.

brettels
    brettels's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 16

Know your product as well as you know the right grip and tension when you pull your dongle!

Grits n' Gravy
    Bigdaddyqh diddles kids
    Grits n' Gravy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 41120

Quote Originally Posted by opie1988 View Post
    Absolutely.

I've known numerous people who have been around Clinton, and every single one of them agreed that he is by far the most naturally charming guy you'll ever meet. He's just got that certain something. When you talk to the guy, you simply can't help but like him.
    He could sell deodorant to an Indian like otp. Guy is smooth. Got to meet him at a charity event and in the little time I spent with him he focuses on you. Tough thing to do when he is Bill Clinton and I am a nobody with tons of big timers around for him to schmooze with instead. Guy could win president election again in a landslide if he could legally run again.

john230
    john230's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Grits n' Gravy View Post
    He could sell deodorant to an Indian like otp. Guy is smooth. Got to meet him at a charity event and in the little time I spent with him he focuses on you. Tough thing to do when he is Bill Clinton and I am a nobody with tons of big timers around for him to schmooze with instead. Guy could win president election again in a landslide if he could legally run again.

That may be one of the problems with politics. We are electing the best salesman, not the man best qualified for the job. That's why slogans are so popular in politics. George W- Compassionate Conservative /Barack Obama- Yes We Can and Change. I wonder if back in the day the Presidents were great salesman or great leaders- Think Abe Lincoln.

sickler
    Facade 101
    sickler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2983

I fukkin' hate dealing with salespeople. Fukkers will do anything to get their commission. Step in that store and they're on you like a vulture. I avoid them whenever possible. You're not going to convince me that the piece of crap you're trying to sell will look good in my living room. Fukk off!

Smoke
    Smoke's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1510

Hey griz lets see your sales pitch

William Walters
    William Walters's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 233

Griz what industry (product-type) are you entering?

Good info on being a "people person" above. If you're not comfortable in your own skin........you don't have a chance. People buy from people they like.

QQPALLADIUM
    QQPALLADIUM's Avatar Become A Pro!

1. watch the scene from glen gary glen ross with alec baldwin...and the movie boiler room...the one scene where he tells the new broker how it works.

2. it's a numbers game...the more people you contract the more sales you will make...but you don't know if it's the 1st call or the 100th call...that's the tough part....so get used to lots of rejection...and if you make 100 calls better to have 5 good leads than 25 shitty ones...

3. don't be "salesy" on the 1st meeting...when i met with clients the 1st time i told them to leave their checkbook at home...

4. don't promise too much or you will get burned...better to beat expectations...

griz
    FEB 2012 POTM

Uhh sickler - I'm not going to be the guy selling u shit for Ur living room pal.

Business to business sales.

joeythelip23
    joeythelip23's Avatar Become A Pro!

Selling is nothing more than relationship building. Best advice I can give is to use your sphere of influence when networking to find common ground with people you're trying to build business with. Even if you have a higher price, you have a better chance of getting the business if someone likes you on top of you offering exceptional customer service. If you don't return calls or emails you're dead in the water.

spankie
    Long Live Rodney!
    spankie's Avatar Become A Pro!

networking and experience.

nothing can teach sales like actually getting out in the field regularly.

opie said it.

SteveRyan
    SteveRyan's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2995

Business to business sales.
    Business to business usually means that you will be making a lot of phone calls to businesses and trying to get through to the DM (Decision maker).

This usually requires getting past the GK (Gate keeper).

Is this what you will be doing?

I spent many years in sales and can give you tons of pointers.

Blissit02
    Blissit02's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 43

Go work for a company called Glazers under their premier division. They will teach you everything and it's working with the Gallo winery very well respected on your resume

Optional
    Optional's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 9194

It depends on what you are selling really, but as a young person that has not done it before I think it would be very useful to find a "sales guru" course and check it out. Even a free ebook.

Sales is a lot about psychology. Not just the customers but yours. Knowing the 'basics' of how a successful salesman thinks is a good thing. Simple stuff like how to close a deal and training yourself not be feel guilty or embarrassed about making a profit because the customer will feel it and feel less happy about their purchase.

Big Bear
    Love your neighbor
    Big Bear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 14

You might gain a little something from a book. But more so it will just be for entertainment purposes.

Don't think of sales as "hey I'm about to go sale this person" Sales is just talking to people. If you can talk to people you can sell.

Just act normal. Don't try to act like you are trying to pull something over on them. Just treat them like a friend and explain to them why they would benifet from your product or service.

Once you have covered all of the information they need to know and answered all their questions and concerns, just ask for them to buy.

The main thing about sales though is product knowledge. First you have to learn about what your are selling before you can sell it. The best salesmen in the world couldn't sell something if they didn't know all the facts. The reason is you have to be able to answer questions/concerns and handle objections in order for them to make a buying decision.

Fang-Banger
    Fang-Banger's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 186

Quote Originally Posted by QQPALLADIUM View Post
    1. watch the scene from glen gary glen ross with alec baldwin...and the movie boiler room...the one scene where he tells the new broker how it works.

2. it's a numbers game...the more people you contract the more sales you will make...but you don't know if it's the 1st call or the 100th call...that's the tough part....so get used to lots of rejection...and if you make 100 calls better to have 5 good leads than 25 shitty ones...

3. don't be "salesy" on the 1st meeting...when i met with clients the 1st time i told them to leave their checkbook at home...

4. don't promise too much or you will get burned...better to beat expectations...
    and just remember...coffee is for closers, ONLY!

dlunc3
    dlunc3's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1076

residential or commercial?

griz
    FEB 2012 POTM

Men I am so pumped for this I can't sleep. Have been studying the firm all day. Started a Tom Hopkins sales course. I want to nail this interview Friday and open the door for possibility of a career change.

Boys the day is what u make it. Making mine a big day Friday.

InTheDrink
    Drinker of the Year
    InTheDrink's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 527

Not one guy talking about maintaining a relationship with the client and following up and keeping the client happy AFTER the sale? Poor salesmanship going on in this thread.

12 Last