nyed1010
    nyed1010's Avatar Become A Pro!

how many of you hit the wall as a "die hard" sports fan?

they are replaying Super Bowl 42 on NFL Network and it reminded me of how fuckking stressful watching that game was as a die-hard Giants fan. Now I still care about whether they win or not, don't get me wrong, but it's just not the same. I watched the Giants/niners game yesterday with relative ease and wasn't strung out about every single play the way I used to. I guess as you get older, you start to realize that shit like sports really isn't that important.

warriorfan707
    SBR Poster of the Milennium
    warriorfan707's Avatar Become A Pro!

Good to know Im not the only die hard fan anymore

opie1988
    I have a MAJOR fukkin clue..
    opie1988's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1012

Quote Originally Posted by nyed1010 View Post
    they are replaying Super Bowl 42 on NFL Network and it reminded me of how fuckking stressful watching that game was as a die-hard Giants fan. Now I still care about whether they win or not, don't get me wrong, but it's just not the same. I watched the Giants/niners game yesterday with relative ease and wasn't strung out about every single play the way I used to. I guess as you get older, you start to realize that shit like sports really isn't that important.
    Uhhhhh.....I still cry like a bitch when my team loses.

SBR
    Poster of
    Year 2011

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR
    Chi_archie's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2368

still going strong with the Pittsburgh Pirates after 25+ years of hardcore fandom..... that is devotion

Iced
    Iced's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12

Quote Originally Posted by warriorfan707 View Post
    Good to know Im not the only die hard fan anymore
    I heard your mother had to change your diaper after the 9ers lost yesterday?

FourLengthsClear
    King of the Idiots
    FourLengthsClear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 508

When the biggest concern of most players is what a Superbowl Ring or Champions League trophy will do for their contract/transfer value, I don't see how anyone could be a passionate fan these days.

This is especially true in the US where a franchise can be moved from one city to another.

frostno98
    frostno98's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 648

After any devastating lost, all I need to do is pull out my old VHS tape and watch the Broncos first Superbowl win over the Packer to make me feel at ease

thetrinity
    penetrate me to tears
    thetrinity's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5536

Quote Originally Posted by Chi_archie View Post
    still going strong with the Pittsburgh Pirates after 25+ years of hardcore fandom..... that is devotion
    funny he says this, they are the only pro team who i would be going absolutely nuts if they made the playoffs. the steelers winning doesnt really excite me, i expect it basically. the last pro game i had a real hard rooting interest was when OPs giants stopped the pats undefeated season, only because i didnt want to see new england make history, this year i dont care that much. wvu being in the final 4 or bcs national title game would get me fired up. thats about it tho. pirates in the playoffs is almost like a pipe dream to me.

InTheDrink
    Drinker of the Year
    InTheDrink's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 527

Quote Originally Posted by opie1988 View Post

Uhhhhh.....I still cry like a bitch when my team loses.
    notice he didn't say "if" they lose

Duff85
    Getting ready for Japball
    Duff85's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4007

Must admit that i'm not really a fan these days. I just bet my games - win some, lose some and move on with it. Plus having teams makes you not want to bet against your team. Only place I really have a team now is in games involving my country or state.

Jimmy Proffett
    Jimmy Proffett's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 954

My 'die hard' fandom went out the window when I started having things to worry about, like bills and shit I control. I still watch and root for my favorite teams, but I forget about the games about 15 minutes after they're over.

Ernie Mccracken
    Ernie Mccracken's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4304

I stopped caring when I realized the players don't care. Win or lose, they're rich as hell and that's all that really matters. Seconds after the final whistle, both sides are all smiles, fist bumping each other, and planning that evening's coke and stripper binge.

A friend of mine is the biggest club promoter in town and knows almost all the local athletes (and has awesome stories for days about the lifestyle) on a first name basis. Even after a crushing playoff loss or season ending injury or whatever, these guys are out partying it up as if it never happened . Zero care for anything except for drugs, booze, and a VIP table pre-stocked with sloots. Buddy keeps about 200 proven sloots on tap, separated into A, B, and C grades.

What kind of huckleberry do you have to be to care more about winning than the actual players?

Ethan1122
    Ethan1122's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 171

I still yell and scream at my TV and honestly I wish I was like you guys. Being a Philly fan we are used to disappointments and I wish I didn't care as much but every year and every game I'm here yelling and screaming over shit I can't control. I did tune it down a little bit after I smashed my laptop when the Eagles lost to the Packers last year in the Wildcard round.