cleaveland
    cleaveland's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1358

Is this quote Rick Pitino admitting he can't coach?

(The thread title should be "Is this quote Rick Pitino admitting he doesn't coach?") I typed it before I thought it through.

"All I want Russ to do is play defense hard," Pitino said. "If he starts evaluating what's a good shot and what is a bad shot you take away his skill level. Our offense is Russ Smith playing in the middle of a playground in Queens."

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/preview?gameId=320160269

Isn't that totally antithetical to what coaching is supposed to be about? Isn't Pitino admitting that he not only doesn't really coach but he doesn't even try (at least in this case)?

I've heard a lot of criticism about Pitino, critics saying that he doesn't really coach but to hear it from his own mouth like this is shocking.
    Last edited by cleaveland; 01-16-12 at 01:11 AM.

SASH
    SASH's Avatar Become A Pro!

guy is a New York City guy cracking an NYC referenced joke about his ball club, you gotta love it. No, I think your being a little too knit-picky here and trying to find every little fault in the guy. You obviously have a negative bias towards the guy in the first place or you wouldnt have picked up this quote and ran with it and shared it with everyone here. Rick Pitino CAN coach and NO his offense really isnt 1 guy playing in a Queens playground....lol. Nothing to make of here

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

He is the biggest piece of garbage ever to coach

highly overrrated

conman

BettingWizard
    BettingWizard's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 102

he is terrible, and louisville covers today

blackeyeshamus
    swampdog stomp!
    blackeyeshamus's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2224

Hahahah
    Read the article, too.
    Caught my eye as being "too sensational"
    -like maybe Pitino was trying to pull some
    Jedi mind trick/zen master style psychological ploy
    type stuff. Probably givin' Pitino too much credit-
    'cause he's not Phil Jackson. Hahahah
    Good luck, coach. I like Marquette.

darkhat
    darkhat's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2882

He's a joke. Always has been.

Louisvillekid1
    LAMAR MVP!
    Louisvillekid1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 553

you have to know russ smith and been listening to every press conference from summer to understand that quote....

He always has been and always is going to be a defensive coach....

we'll see how they finish this season...

Marq might run them out of the building, tonight...

19th Hole
    19th Hole's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10288

Quote Originally Posted by sash View Post
    guy is a new york city guy cracking an nyc referenced joke about his ball club, you gotta love it. No, i think your being a little too knit-picky here and trying to find every little fault in the guy. You obviously have a negative bias towards the guy in the first place or you wouldnt have picked up this quote and ran with it and shared it with everyone here. Rick pitino can coach and no his offense really isnt 1 guy playing in a queens playground....lol. Nothing to make of here

f-a-i-l

mikejamm
    mikejamm's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 1512

Hmmm lets see, 1996 NCAA Champion, UK went 34-2 / 16-0 in confrence play that year. Only coach to ever take 3 different schools to the final 4. 24 Pitino assistant coaches or players have gone on to become collegiate head coaches. He's compiled a 597-220 record, a .731 winning percentage that ranks him 12th among active coaches. Yes I'd say he's a pretty damn good coach. Overrated JJ? Your fuk'in hair piece is overrated!Pitino is one of the greatest coaches in the game today. And will end up in the NCAA hall of fame.

Louisvillekid1
    LAMAR MVP!

JJ hates pitino because he only watches NBA...

SASH

Quote Originally Posted by 19th Hole View Post
    f-a-i-l
    you have no idea what your talking about 19th hole, you probably never touched a basketball in your life

Bcatswin
    Bcats Winning Everywhere
    Bcatswin's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5350

Your fuking hair piece is overrated

BiffTFinancial
    BiffTFinancial's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5368

if you're watching the 1H of Louisville/Marquette and you think that Pitino is a good coach, you need to seriously re-evaluate. UL doesn't guard the three, doesn't box out, acts as if they're playing with a 12-second shot clock and commits dumb foul after dumb foul.
    Points Awarded:

19th Hole gave BiffTFinancial 1 SBR Point(s) for this post.

Pew Pew
    Banned
    Pew Pew's Avatar Become A Pro!

you're a forever shitty coach when you lose a 16 pt lead

19th Hole
    19th Hole's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10288

Quote Originally Posted by SASH View Post
    you have no idea what your talking about 19th hole, you probably never touched a basketball in your life

F-A-I-L

Blew a 16 point lead...
    He getting outcoached by a gym rat.

SASH

where do you guys get this shit from, unreal. Pitino took over a piece of trash Boston University and lead them to their first ncaa appearance in 24 years. Then at Providence he took over an 11-20 team and lead them to the final4. Hes taken teams hes coached to 5 final 4's. 21 of pitino's former players have gone on to be division 1 head basketball coaches. He has a 521-191 record as a head coach and .732 winning percentage. You guys are crazy. Where do u get this from? Pitino is a very very good coach

BernardMadoff
    Sam Hurd +3000
    BernardMadoff's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 280

I understand what he's saying, just dont like him though cuz he's lost me bets, good thing Marquette won that first half. Oh and he's an adulterer who wanted others to feel sorry for him because he says the mistress was trying to exhort him, ha.

BiffTFinancial

Quote Originally Posted by Pew Pew View Post
    you're a forever shitty coach when you lose a 16 pt lead
    in less than 13 minutes. let's be honest - UL acted as if they couldn't give the lead back quickly enough. i've seen some shitty hoops teams in my day (that's what happens when you go to a CAA school), but for a team with this much talent to play this stupid is a genuine new low. in the words of Clay Davis, that's some shameful shit.

BiffTFinancial

where do you guys get this shit from, unreal. Pitino took over a piece of trash Boston University and lead them to their first ncaa appearance in 24 years. Then at Providence he took over an 11-20 team and lead them to the final4. Hes taken teams hes coached to 5 final 4's. 21 of pitino's former players have gone on to be division 1 head basketball coaches. He has a 521-191 record as a head coach and .732 winning percentage. You guys are crazy. Where do u get this from? Pitino is a very very good coach
    that was all correct except for your final sentence, which should be in the past tense. yeah, he did a great job at BU and Providence, and this UL team is complete dogshit. lots of people succeed and then lose the fire in the belly and start getting by on name value alone. it's the kind of hubris that leads to fking chicks on the table at an italian restaurant while other people are there.

how could you watch the last 13 minutes and say that he's coaching this team well?

SASH

on top of all their injurys theyve amassed this year, kyle kuric is out for this game, and scrub #21 had to come in the entire first half because another 1 of their starters was in foul trouble, what do ya want from the guy? Hes working with a severly depleted roster

BiffTFinancial

on top of all their injurys theyve amassed this year, kyle kuric is out for this game, and scrub #21 had to come in the entire first half because another 1 of their starters was in foul trouble, what do ya want from the guy?
    it's pretty simple. Kuric was out for the 18-2 run to start the game too, so that's somewhat irrelevant. and when a starter on a team without a lot of depth gets into foul trouble, that's all the more reason to rein things in. and let's be clear, UL committed about 4-5 stupid fouls too, in part because they don't box out on defense and go over the back on offense. the team's foul trouble - putting UM on the line where they have a huge advantage (something that Elmore said Pitino had mentioned before the game) - occurred in part because of its poor coaching. they gave UM 7 points on the line (8 to 1 advantage 1H, as UM was 8-8). when your team lacks depth, it's silly to have a good player consigned to the bench for stupid fouls. they got at least 2 fouls on over the backs on offensive boards they had zero chance to grab.

UL was playing as if they were on a 12-second shot clock when they should have been making UM work on defense. up 18-2 7 minutes in, once any hint of foul trouble arose, they should've started to lengthen their offensive possessions, in part to keep UM from finding its offensive rhythm. for the season, UL allows .877 points per offensive possession. in the 1H, it was over 1, and there's no excuse for that when you start off on a 18-2 run.

Louisvillekid1
    LAMAR MVP!

It's fukking frustrating, I can't even get into the X n O's right now...

Were just not that good, Talent wise, experience wise, coaching wise, just all around... Just a bunch of kids that play hard, with having no practice time all season...

I can't keep going through this 2/3 times a week....