ineedmunny
    ineedmunny's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 95

Local book

I am losing one of my jobs and I need to make some extra money on the side. I want to start a small local book. I know several ppl who want to bet but have no where to go. I had a family member who was a local for 30 years but he died before I could ever ask him about it and for obvious reasons he didnt just freely talk about it. He wasnt intimidating and didnt work for the mob so I feel like this could be an option for me. I need information on start up and daily operation. I know about the "Book on Bookies" but after reading reviews it seems like it is outdated. I know you have all had this question before but any info is helpful. Feel free to PM me with anything you think would be helpful.

testudo
    testudo's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 45

Db a must to set lines I would think

Miz
    Miz's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3162

I'd read the laws on bookmaking charges first. Many times the penalties are commensurate with the gross handle as opposed to net. All it takes is one pissed off "client" to change your life and affect your "real job". Here is how I've seen it go with a local poker room...

Drug dealer / bad poker player loses money, gets pissed. Then gets caught selling drugs, and snitches about poker room. Hello felony.

Maybe just try something legal instead. Also, don't underestimate how much of a pain the ass it is having your $10 client ask you to go through all 85 college basketball lines twice a day. The clients also constantly try to cheat you, and if they are your "friends" then expect to lose those friends. If you're married then expect your wife to start getting pissed because you have to interrupt your dinner to answer the phone. My point is that if you are small time, then your hourly wage is really low.

ineedmunny

Miz these are all things that have crossed my mind at one point in time. I know that where I live it is a felony if you get caught.

Bluehorseshoe
    Bluehorseshoe's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1557

Just use a Pay Per head shop.

darkhat
    darkhat's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2882

Quote Originally Posted by Miz View Post
    I'd read the laws on bookmaking charges first. Many times the penalties are commensurate with the gross handle as opposed to net. All it takes is one pissed off "client" to change your life and affect your "real job". Here is how I've seen it go with a local poker room...

Drug dealer / bad poker player loses money, gets pissed. Then gets caught selling drugs, and snitches about poker room. Hello felony.

Maybe just try something legal instead. Also, don't underestimate how much of a pain the ass it is having your $10 client ask you to go through all 85 college basketball lines twice a day. The clients also constantly try to cheat you, and if they are your "friends" then expect to lose those friends. If you're married then expect your wife to start getting pissed because you have to interrupt your dinner to answer the phone. My point is that if you are small time, then your hourly wage is really low.
    exactly.

Landscaper
    Banned
    Landscaper's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Bluehorseshoe View Post
    Just use a Pay Per head shop.
    Thats what my guy uses and it's great.. No calling him everything done on computer

Miz

The idea of having them use a computer is wonderful, but my guess, is that they would just use an online book if they had a CC and the fortitude to think far enough ahead to deposit and play with those funds, or even owned a computer. You'd be surprised.

When you are a local, you deal with morons that live day to day and get shitfaced and then dispute the bet they called in while drunk. Then you have to cut them off. They only remember calling it in if they win. If you don't get tough with the first guy, then expect others to follow suit.

My point is, that you will be working very hard, and taking unwarranted risks to collect a small amount of money and... Kiss your weekends goodbye from September to February, because you'll be a clerk from 9am to 2am

If you can get them to use the computer, then great and I wish you success, but they will be at the bar most of the time and won't have a smart phone... trust me on that one

brettels
    brettels's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 16

Just buy yourself a subway franchise, can't go wrong!

Miz

exactly

ineedmunny

You guys make a good point, prolly not worth it part time and after doing some more research sounds like too much of a full time job to make any money "on the side." Maybe I'll just try my hand at picking some winners

skjjb4
    skjjb4's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1070

What is a pay per head shop?

shooterman
    shooterman's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 18498

What Miz said. My personal experience as a bookmaker completely changed my views on almost every person that I knew. Cliff notes=90 to 95% of your clients will stiff or at least try to chisel and cheat. I would never open up shop again.

jjaycuny
    jjaycuny's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9410

run parlay cards

ineedmunny

Are parlay cards very profitable? How much volume would I have to do? Is there a need to balance my book with parlay cards?

jjaycuny
    jjaycuny's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9410

Quote Originally Posted by ineedmunny View Post
    Are parlay cards very profitable? How much volume would I have to do? Is there a need to balance my book with parlay cards?
    If you have enough out there, yes they can be profitable. That's also the problem, they're 'out there' so it's obviously a paper trail. No need to balance the book because parlays rarely hit. You would need to have enough people playing the cards in order to sustain a hit or 2. If you google running parlay cards, there's a shit load of threads about it. Good luck.

touchback
    touchback's Avatar Become A Pro!

Pay per head service also offers callcenter generally and is only a couple dollars more on the weekly fee. This is great because your guys can call in all day on the phone and get lines and place action. All you have to do is run a report or call the customer service department for your figures.

MoneyLineDawg
    Update your status
    MoneyLineDawg's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13

Get a separate cell phone that isn't connected to your name or even use your cell phone now and have all your clients text in bets.......my old bookie used scoresandodds.com as his base for most games and we would just text in our bets using those lines......of course you can change a few lines as you please on games you are getting heavy volume on

Never had a problem really with this method

Br0nxer
    July 2012 Poster of the Month
    Br0nxer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 888

Quote Originally Posted by ineedmunny View Post
    I am losing one of my jobs and I need to make some extra money on the side. I want to start a small local book. I know several ppl who want to bet but have no where to go. I had a family member who was a local for 30 years but he died before I could ever ask him about it and for obvious reasons he didnt just freely talk about it. He wasnt intimidating and didnt work for the mob so I feel like this could be an option for me. I need information on start up and daily operation. I know about the "Book on Bookies" but after reading reviews it seems like it is outdated. I know you have all had this question before but any info is helpful. Feel free to PM me with anything you think would be helpful.
    can't help you officer

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

You will be in Jail Son

Get a job and cut fukkin grass and rake leaves

DOMINATER
    DOMINATER's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1180

I don't know where you live, but your local mob guys want their piece, you may get away with it for a while but sooner or later you will need to consider that cost . If you live in a sheep pasture or miles from any wise guys who knows good luck. My father in law was the first guy in the early 50's to run the blue cards parley and 10 out of 10 you would win 1000.00 I would buy them when I was eight from him , I lived next door and dating his daughter she was 5. I really stole the gradle lol.