t-wizzle
    t-wizzle's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2191

49ers will knock off the Saints (Write-up inside)

Been thinking about this game a lot this week and now I'm really starting to feel like San Fran will pull off the upset. Let's face it: The Saints are a different team when they aren't playing indoors especially in New Orleans. Who is the best defense the Saints played all year? Houston in Week 3? New Orleans has run all over the dreck defenses of the league and they've been very fortunate to have played 11 games indoors this season.

Let's look at the 5 outdoor games:

Week 1 @ Green Bay: L 42-34 - Game really wasn't as close as people like to say. Packers led by double digits for practically the entire game. Not putting too much stock in this game though as it was the NFL Opener.

Week 4 @ Jacksonville: W 23-10 - Saints put up 2 early tds and then struggled to score from that point on as they kicked 3 second half field goals. Still put up a ton of total yardage but this game was more of a struggle than it should have been against a Jags team with Gabbert in only his second career start.

Week 5 @ Carolina: W 30-27 - Game-winning drive by Brees as they scored in the final minute. Another game with early success but a struggle to score in the second half with no tds until the final drive.

Week 6 @ Tampa Bay: L 26-20 - 3 interceptions for Brees in this one. For fukk sake, this was Tampa Bay's final win of the season.

Week 14 @ Tennessee: W 22-17 - Saints were unable to get those explosive plays we're used to seeing from them. Brees was forced to check down for most of the game but was still efficient. Game was 10-9 in favor of the Titans heading into the fourth. New Orleans was fortunate to come away with the victory as Locker took a sack at the Saints 5 yard line as time expired.

What I take from these 5 games is this: The Saints are still a good team but you're kidding yourself if you think they are the same team on the road outdoors. When you take into consideration the different playing surface and the noise factor which limits Brees' ability to make changes at the line of scrimmage, they just aren't quite the same offense.

What's most important however is that this is the first time New Orleans has faced a legit defense on the road all year. And by legit defense, I mean the best defense in the NFL. I fully expect the 49ers to put pressure in the face of Brees who is only 6 feet tall. The linebackers are fast and physical and it will be much more difficult to use Sproles out of the backfield and Jimmy Graham as well. The Saints love to use play action but the 49ers don't need help from their safeties to stop the run so they can stay at home and limit the deep passes down the middle of the field.

San Francisco will put pressure on Brees and he will be forced into making difficult throws. It's impossible to completely stop the Saints offense but I think the 49ers will do a hell of a job and will make enough plays on offense to pull off the upset. I can't believe I'm saying this but Alex Smith has been pretty damn clutch this year and made some money throws under pressure late in games. They don't need him to sling it around the field but he has proven that he can go out there and win a game.

I'll decide by Saturday how much I'm putting on this game. 49ers +3.5 will surely be a play as will the ML +whatever.

49ers 20
    Saints 17
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 8 times . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: warriorfan707, Dad, Ninersnut, Rod1010, jsqd25, LotsoCheese, jjgold, and ThaddeusB

warriorfan707
    SBR Poster of the Milennium
    warriorfan707's Avatar Become A Pro!

BIGDAY
    angelman.org
    BIGDAY's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 24866

Tough game. I think it will be hard to keep NO under 20 Pts. SF needs to put up 24 Pts to win IMO.

I will most likely pass or play the under 47for the total.

warriorfan707

ANyone who likes the Niners to win on Saturday is a friend of mine.

Dad
    2011 Adult Entertainer of the Year
    Dad's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1086

Nice write up t-wizzle.

t-wizzle

Quote Originally Posted by Dad View Post
    Nice write up t-wizzle.
    Thanks Dad. If it wins, would you mind posting a pic of a nice babe in celebration?

warriorfan707

Pretty sure he'll be doing that anyway

Chimneyfish
    Chimneyfish's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1283

A lot has been said about the 49ers difficulties scoring in the red zone, so here is another statistic to consider: the Saints have only a 31.8% red zone efficiency rating when playing outdoors (and that percentage came against defenses less talented than the 49ers).
    Points Awarded:

The Seer gave Chimneyfish 2 SBR Point(s) for this post.

Ninersnut
    Money talks and bullshit runs marathons
    Ninersnut's Avatar Become A Pro!

This game more than any other on the board is having numbers crunched. I hate ESPN but Mike Sando does a helluva job over there on the NFCW Blog. He has some in depth stats and situation stats for anyone who plans on betting on this game should check out.

SEAHAWKHARRY
    Northern Lights
    SEAHAWKHARRY's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2385

Quote Originally Posted by Ninersnut View Post
    This game more than any other on the board is having numbers crunched. I hate ESPN but Mike Sando does a helluva job over there on the NFCW Blog. He has some in depth stats and situation stats for anyone who plans on betting on this game should check out.

Is he saying SF wins???

Ninersnut

Quote Originally Posted by SEAHAWKHARRY View Post

Is he saying SF wins???
    No, he's actually a Hawk fan I believe. There is some NFCW bias but not much. More or less check out his articles where he breaks down the numbers.

k13
    k13's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1836

1210 San Francisco 49ers (Prop) -42½ +30000

PAULYPOKER
    I slipped Tricky Dick a hit of LSD!
    PAULYPOKER's Avatar Become A Pro!

49ers will knock off the Saints (Write-up inside)

No they won't,look I don't even need a write up.................

Ninersnut

K13 that is a ridiculous Prop. They haven't scored 43 all year have they? Maybe against the Bucs?

PAULYPOKER

Just like the Steelers make me blind,the 9ers make you homers blind.............

Ninersnut

You're just salty after last week. Saint's defense is terrible hence why they need to score 40 points to win each week. Niners will be able to get a few points on them.

PAULYPOKER

You're just salty after last week. Saint's defense is terrible hence why they need to score 40 points to win each week. Niners will be able to get a few points on them.
    yes they will but no more than 20 however the 9ers d will not be able to keep Breeze the best QB of the year along with a great running game under 20.............

Mr Handicapable
    Mr Handicapable's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 174

49ers faced two good QBs (leaving out a lame Roethlisburger) at home this year....Romo & Eli Manning.

Romo 345/2 tds/No picks/27 points
    Eli 311 yds/2 tds/2 picks/20 points

Thats not elite shutdown defense in my book. The best prediction for future behavior is past results. Brees throws the ball for 300 and atleast a couple scores while Akers kicks field goals. Saints 27-16

Ninersnut

Quote Originally Posted by PAULYPOKER View Post
    yes they will but no more than 20 however the 9ers d will not be able to keep Breeze the best QB of the year along with a great running game under 20.............
    Aaron Rodgers is playing the Giants FYI. The 49ers have been terrible against the run this year so you might have a point

Chimneyfish

The 49ers have been terrible against the run this year so you might have a point
    Yeah I know. When the 49ers made it all the way to the second to last week of season without giving up a single rushing touchdown all year, commentators were only calling them "probably one of the best run defenses in NFL history." The fact that they didn't say "definitely the best run defense ever" proves the team is weak and will probably give up tons of yards on Saturday.

k13

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Handicapable View Post
    49ers faced two good QBs (leaving out a lame Roethlisburger) at home this year....Romo & Eli Manning.

Romo 345/2 tds/No picks/27 points
    Eli 311 yds/2 tds/2 picks/20 points

Thats not elite shutdown defense in my book. The best prediction for future behavior is past results. Brees throws the ball for 300 and atleast a couple scores while Akers kicks field goals. Saints 27-16
    You don't take into account that they were both trailing by double digits so obviously passing yards will be high.

If past results are the best predictions, Brees only had 254 yards passing last year against a weaker Niners D in a game they barely won. Alex Smith 275 yards passing yards and he sucks, tells you how yards are overrated.

What's the lowest TeamTotal have the Saints had so far this year, anyone know?

Chimneyfish

Quote Originally Posted by k13 View Post
    Their lowest total yards? It was 283 in their loss to the Rams.

PAULYPOKER

Aaron Rodgers is playing the Giants FYI. The 49ers have been terrible against the run this year so you might have a point
    Saints have so many weapons on offense,this will force the 9ers to play bend but don't BREAK (if they're lucky) type Defense thus opening up the run or what ever breeze chooses to do.............

k13

Quote Originally Posted by Chimneyfish View Post
    Their lowest total yards? It was 283 in their loss to the Rams.
    No. The line for their TT for points.

For this game it's 25.5

Mr Handicapable
    Mr Handicapable's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 174

You don't take into account that they were both trailing by double digits so obviously passing yards will be high.

If past results are the best predictions, Brees only had 254 yards passing last year against a weaker Niners D in a game they barely won. Alex Smith 275 yards passing yards and he sucks, tells you how yards are overrated.

No Sproles last year although you are correct that yardage by itself doesn't mean much. Who knows....all you 49er homers have me half-convinced my $$ is gone now...lol!

PAULYPOKER

Here is one more important factor,the 9ers are a virgin to the playoffs while the Saints are veterans with a Superbowl under their belt from only 2 years ago.........

bachngocduong
    bachngocduong's Avatar Become A Pro!

1185 New Orleans Saints -36½ +4175
    Saints more then 50
    49ers 6 or 9 if they fk lucky 13

PAULYPOKER

Quote Originally Posted by bachngocduong View Post
    1185 New Orleans Saints -36½ +4175 Saints more then 50 49ers 6 or 9 if they fk lucky 13
    I would say more like Saints 23 9ers 16

onacloud
    onacloud's Avatar Become A Pro!

No. The line for their TT for points.

For this game it's 25.5
    they only scored 20 against the tampa on the road

k13

If you like Saints pick the Saints.
    If you like Niners pick the Niners.

Don't let someone change your mind, go down with what you believe.

Learn lesson after.

I'd wait till game time to see where this line goes. Right now it looks too much of a coin flip.

nj1035
    Update your status
    nj1035's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2118

This day and age, great QB beats great defense. Blame it on the new rules, or whatever you want. But I'll take Brees here. Wouldn't be shocked to see a SF win though.

Chimneyfish

Here is one more important factor,the 9ers are a virgin to the playoffs while the Saints are veterans with a Superbowl under their belt from only 2 years ago.........
    This Saints team has also never won a playoff game on the road, let alone to a team coming off a bye.

t-wizzle

Seahawks were "virgins" last year when they knocked off the almighty saints. So we're the broncos when they knocked off the steelers. So we're the jets when they made it to the afc championship 2 years ago. Do i need to keep going on?
    Points Awarded:

bb_skoots gave t-wizzle 2 SBR Point(s) for this post.

sportfan
    sportfan's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4449

SF ML They win Outright

bigsmitty
    bigsmitty's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 370

I like SF here-among other stats SF has a great turnover differential. Cheers

1234 ... Last