View Poll Results: Will Larkin make the Hall today?

Voters
6. You may not vote on this poll
  • Oh hell yes

3 50.00%
  • Oh hell no

3 50.00%
    Bcatswin
    Bcats Winning Everywhere
    Bcatswin's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5350

Do you think Larkin makes HOF today?

I would think no doubt?

Bcatswin
    Bcats Winning Everywhere

Come on boys vote up!!!!!

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR
    Chi_archie's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2368

I say for sure

Bcatswin
    Bcats Winning Everywhere

Who voted no?

will2survive
    STAY IN YO LANE!
    will2survive's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 22

Not the best major leaguer but Barry Larkin is a hall of famer for the way that they let guys in. If the hall of fame was just for the elite, he doesn't deserve it but it's for "very good players", he'll get the nod

Bcatswin
    Bcats Winning Everywhere

will Larkin is top 4 OPS Percentage by SS's ever along with the likes of Honus Wagner, Joe Cronin, and of course Jeter. How is that not elite?

Regul8er
    Wordd
    Regul8er's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4101

Its inevitable he'll be a HOF'er Bcats.....and I think otday will be his day!

I don't understand why Alan Trammell is in his 10th year and only getting about 25% of the votes.

NAME AVG HITS HR'S RBI SB
    Larkin .295 2,365 185 1,003 236
    Trammell .285 2,340 195 960 379

Trammel won 4 Gold Gloves, Larkin won 3. A bit of discrepency on stolen bases, but this isn't the difference in getting in the Hall. Why so much love for Barry, but Alan has seemingly been getting disrespected??

str
    Nothing's easy
    str's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 68545

Just announced: He got in !

Deuce
    Eddie Mush
    Deuce's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3519

Yes I think so.

str
    Nothing's easy
    str's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by Regul8er View Post
    Its inevitable he'll be a HOF'er Bcats.....and I think otday will be his day!

I don't understand why Alan Trammell is in his 10th year and only getting about 25% of the votes.

NAME AVG HITS HR'S RBI SB
    Larkin .295 2,365 185 1,003 236
    Trammell .285 2,340 195 960 379

Trammel won 4 Gold Gloves, Larkin won 3. A bit of discrepency on stolen bases, but this isn't the difference in getting in the Hall. Why so much love for Barry, but Alan has seemingly been getting disrespected??
    Jayson Stark on Larkin vs. Trammell

An interesting read.

Larkin versus Alan Trammell

Have I mentioned yet that I once wrote a book on the most overrated and underrated players in baseball history? Oh, that's right. I did. Well, right behind Larkin on that most-underrated shortstop list, in the No. 5 slot, was a gentleman named Alan Trammell. So you know I love the guy.
    Just not quite enough to vote for him.
    And why is that, you ask? Not because I don't think Trammell is massively underappreciated. It's because I'm still not convinced that Trammell and Larkin are essentially the same player, as some of my peers have argued.
    Focus On Sport/Getty ImagesAlan Trammell got only 24.3 percent of the vote in 2011, his 10th year on the ballot.

Larkin's career slugging percentage was nearly 30 points higher than Trammell's. His career on-base percentage was almost 20 points higher. But the biggest difference was this:
    Larkin may have had his injury issues, but when you got him on the field, he was a consistently dominating player: 13 straight seasons with an OPS-plus greater than 100, seven Silver Slugger awards in nine years, 11 All-Star appearances in 13 years, 12 straight seasons with a wins above replacement greater than 3.0, according to Baseball-Reference.com.
    Trammell, on the other hand, spent his career mixing seasons of greatness with seasons in which he was just a good, solid, dependable player. He never ran off more than three straight years with an OPS-plus over 100. Larkin had nearly twice as many seasons (14) with an OBP of .350 or better as Trammell (eight). Larkin had a 14-year streak in which he never had an OPS lower than .745. In nine of Trammell's 20 seasons, his OPS dipped into the .600s or lower.
    None of this is meant to imply that Trammell wasn't a tremendous player. It's just a way of explaining why he falls barely below my personal Hall of Fame threshold. As I've said many times, it's never an insult to say any player was not quite a Hall of Famer. But that's how I see Trammell, hard as I've tried to convince myself otherwise.

VegasInsider
    Update your status
    VegasInsider's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 18

Larkin got in today! Good for him, very deserving. I'm very disappointed though that Jeff Bagwell got passed over again. He'll get in, only a matter of time.

Wait until next year: Bonds, Clemens, Piazza, Schilling, Sosa, Biggio join the list that are eligible.

Bcatswin
    Bcats Winning Everywhere

Quote Originally Posted by str View Post
    Jayson Stark on Larkin vs. Trammell

An interesting read.

Larkin versus Alan Trammell

Have I mentioned yet that I once wrote a book on the most overrated and underrated players in baseball history? Oh, that's right. I did. Well, right behind Larkin on that most-underrated shortstop list, in the No. 5 slot, was a gentleman named Alan Trammell. So you know I love the guy.
    Just not quite enough to vote for him.
    And why is that, you ask? Not because I don't think Trammell is massively underappreciated. It's because I'm still not convinced that Trammell and Larkin are essentially the same player, as some of my peers have argued.
    Focus On Sport/Getty ImagesAlan Trammell got only 24.3 percent of the vote in 2011, his 10th year on the ballot.

Larkin's career slugging percentage was nearly 30 points higher than Trammell's. His career on-base percentage was almost 20 points higher. But the biggest difference was this:
    Larkin may have had his injury issues, but when you got him on the field, he was a consistently dominating player: 13 straight seasons with an OPS-plus greater than 100, seven Silver Slugger awards in nine years, 11 All-Star appearances in 13 years, 12 straight seasons with a wins above replacement greater than 3.0, according to Baseball-Reference.com.
    Trammell, on the other hand, spent his career mixing seasons of greatness with seasons in which he was just a good, solid, dependable player. He never ran off more than three straight years with an OPS-plus over 100. Larkin had nearly twice as many seasons (14) with an OBP of .350 or better as Trammell (eight). Larkin had a 14-year streak in which he never had an OPS lower than .745. In nine of Trammell's 20 seasons, his OPS dipped into the .600s or lower.
    None of this is meant to imply that Trammell wasn't a tremendous player. It's just a way of explaining why he falls barely below my personal Hall of Fame threshold. As I've said many times, it's never an insult to say any player was not quite a Hall of Famer. But that's how I see Trammell, hard as I've tried to convince myself otherwise.
    Good read

Bcatswin
    Bcats Winning Everywhere

Larkin's jump from 62.1 percent to 86 percent was largest since 1948.

Regul8er
    Wordd
    Regul8er's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4101

str....good read. Makes you think a little more about player consistency and domination.

moses millsap
    moses millsap's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1260

Hilarious that Bill Mueller got 4 votes, Tim Salmon got 5, and Vinny Castilla got 6. WTF.

Player Votes Pct
    Barry Larkin 496 86.4
    Jack Morris 382 66.7
    Jeff Bagwell 321 56.0
    Lee Smith 290 50.6
    Tim Raines 279 48.7
    Alan Trammell 211 36.8
    Edgar Martinez 209 36.5
    Fred McGriff 137 23.9
    Larry Walker 131 22.9
    Mark McGwire 112 19.5
    Don Mattingly 102 17.8
    Dale Murphy 83 14.5
    Rafael Palmeiro 72 12.6
    Others receiving votes: Bernie Williams, 55; Juan Gonzalez, 23; Vinny Castilla, 6; Tim Salmon, 5; Bill Mueller, 4; Brad Radke, 2; Javy Lopez, 1; Eric Young, 1.

str
    Nothing's easy
    str's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by Regul8er View Post
    str....good read. Makes you think a little more about player consistency and domination.
    It really does. The word domination does come up a lot as well it should. I think that is why some guys with very deserving overall numbers can struggle getting in. Always a very solid player and sometimes flirting with dominate has never made getting in easy. Dominating for a consistent stretch of years has.

Bcatswin
    Bcats Winning Everywhere

Quote Originally Posted by moses millsap View Post
    Hilarious that Bill Mueller got 4 votes, Tim Salmon got 5, and Vinny Castilla got 6. WTF.
    Some of those are just plain funny