SportsMushroom
    SportsMushroom's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6839

Tebow is a way better passer than stats indicate

I know he has a 50% completion rate

I havent seen all his games but the few I saw I happened to notice have some things in common, tebow seems pretty accurate but his completion % is affected greatly by

1.dropped passes, in some cases ridiculous drops
    2.tebow often having to throw the ball out of bounds because no receiver is open
    3.completions being called back because of stupid penalties by his team mates, and I mean stupid, yesterday tebow would've had another amazing td pass and that other guy goes and commits a penalty on the ONE yard line? you must be braindead committing a holding penalty on the one yard line while your teammate is only 2 yards away from scoring a td

here's what a moron sounds like on this forum:

before game: steelers D is the best in the league, broncos wont score more than a field goal

after game: steelers had injuries, this game means nothing

that is what an idiot sounds like, reality changes to suit his opinion, for intelligent people its the other way round

broncos scored 23 points in regulation and should've had 14 more if tebow actually had better teammates

blackbeSSt
    blackbeSSt's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by SportsMushroom View Post
    I know he has a 50% completion rate I havent seen all his games but the few I saw I happened to notice have some things in common, tebow seems pretty accurate but his completion % is affected greatly by 1.dropped passes, in some cases ridiculous drops 2.tebow often having to throw the ball out of bounds because no receiver is open 3.completions being called back because of stupid penalties by his team mates, and I mean stupid, yesterday tebow would've had another amazing td pass and that other guy goes and commits a penalty on the ONE yard line? you must be braindead committing a holding penalty on the one yard line while your teammate is only 2 yards away from scoring a td here's what a moron sounds like on this forum: before game: steelers D is the best in the league, broncos wont score more than a field goal after game: steelers had injuries, this game means nothing broncos scored 23 points in regulation and should've had 14 more if tebow actually had better teammates
    well then by that standard pitt woulda scored more points if ben was 100%, half their d-line wasn't out and their top rusher wasn't out.

and i don't recall anyone saying that with a banged up d.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

He needs a better delivery

He winds up too much, he must have a shorter release

SportsMushroom

Quote Originally Posted by blackbeSSt View Post
    well then by that standard pitt woulda scored more points if ben was 100%, half their d-line wasn't out and their top rusher wasn't out.

and i don't recall anyone saying that with a banged up d.

no, denver had the score right in front of them and were 2+2 yards away from beating the steelers by double digits

this theory people seem to have about roethlisburger being injured is just that, a theory, roethlisburger played well and even rushed for good yardage a couple of times

so I assume you bet the broncos ml since you knew that roethlisburger was injured

its the opposite crap that happened last year with the bears, bears lost and even though cutler was injured they wanted to blame him so automatically cutlers injury was fictional and it was his fault bears lost

now its the same thing in reverse, roethlisburger was injured, even though he did start the game, threw well and even rushed for yardage, I didnt know people with injured ankles could run, we learn something new every day I guess

as I already said, people change reality to suit their opinion

what about the broncos, they had injuries, dawkins was out, and lets not forget that they traded lloyd, so they were playing without their best receiver and best safety

SportsMushroom

let me ask you this tuts, if roethlisburger was in such bad shape why did he play last week against the browns, why did any of the starters play last week

they, and especially roethlisburger could have had a nice 2 weeks rest and come in healthy into this game

awww dont tell me now that a sprained ankle takes more than two weeks to heal

all it takes is to stay out of your feet for 2-3 days and he would've been as good as new

ankle is just an excuse from steelers/media

and only gullible people and people that want to believe it do

jmilacek
    jmilacek's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 31

He's not an accurate passer. Most of his short throws are wildly inaccurate.

He is good on long balls because the receivers can adjust if they are in single coverage.

SportsMushroom

Quote Originally Posted by jmilacek View Post
    He's not an accurate passer. Most of his short throws are wildly inaccurate.

He is good on long balls because the receivers can adjust if they are in single coverage.

you are kidding right, do you even watch football?

the receiver does not have time to adjust, especially not on long passes, if the pass is not pinpoint then the receiver has no chance, especially since most of the time the receiver does not see the ball until it is in his hands or almost in his hands

and an other reason why your argument holds no water, if the receiver has time to adjust then so does the defender, and it would be a turnover on every other play

darkhat
    darkhat's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2882

If Tebow throws for 300 yards in the superbowl people will still say he sucks and isn't a good QB. I hate him because of religion, but come on.

4TH AND STUPID
    best NFL capper at SBR
    4TH AND STUPID's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1990

i agree with everything you have posted on this thread, sportsmushroom.

when it comes down to it, tebow has almost ZERO talent around him and even mcgahee is average at best. you could put any below average running back behind him and theyd still rack up 100 yards becuase of all the lanes tebow creates as a distraction.

his wide receivers are horrible and even the conservative gameplan which has been applied in many of their games gives him very little chance to build confidence and get in a rhythm.

if they play with a shotgun spread formation for the majority of the game like they did last night, he will throw much better (as he did last night) and finally be able to let the ball fly a little.

he isnt as "inaccurate" as the media plays him out to be and his throw has pretty good velocity on it and is more often than not in a location where only the receiver can catch it.

i also agree with all the losers who change their stance after a game which was initially "impossible" to win and then once denver wins its because of "injuries" / "bad ankle" or because of ike taylor or because they won the toss in O.T or the various other 1000 excuses people have.

Dutchie
    Dutchie's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 165

guy threw 5 completions for longer than 30 yards against a team that had only given up 7 completions over 30 yards the entire 16 game regular season. guy is capitalizing on people's perception of him

thebestthereis
    thebestthereis's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8056

Teebow is joke and Denver needs to find someone else next year. Matt Ryan, Matty Ice, will be available in a year. Guys like than are accurate and win big games. There are many others too, Denver will get one. Then they actually have a chance to win something.

sideloaded
    staring into the abyss
    sideloaded's Avatar Become A Pro!

I havent seen all his games but the few I saw I happened to notice have some things in common, tebow seems pretty accurate but his completion % is affected greatly by

2.tebow often having to throw the ball out of bounds because no receiver is open
    3.completions being called back because of stupid penalties by his team mates, and I mean stupid, yesterday tebow would've had another amazing td pass and that other guy goes and commits a penalty on the ONE yard line? you must be braindead committing a holding penalty on the one yard line while your teammate is only 2 yards away from scoring a td

before game: steelers D is the best in the league, broncos wont score more than a field goal

that is what an idiot sounds like, reality changes to suit his opinion, for intelligent people its the other way round

broncos scored 23 points in regulation and should've had 14 more if tebow actually had better teammates
    you're basing all this stupid shit on one game

SportsMushroom

Quote Originally Posted by sideloaded View Post
    you're basing all this stupid shit on one game

why dont you go back and read the second line again

I clearly said I saw a few of his games, and all were carbon copies, dropped passes, bad protection, no open receivers, stupid penalties

if he had a decent team around him his completion % would be a lot higher

jgray
    jgray's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 244

Admittedly, I haven't seen every pass he's thrown this season, but I've seen a lot. You are pissing into the wind if you are trying to convince us that he's an accurate passer. He was really good yesterday and delivered a great ball in OT. He also missed a couple of intermediate throws by YARDS earlier in the game. His mechanics are suspect and I have seen too many wounded ducks leave his hand. Perhaps one day he will be an accurate passer. Maybe not. Maybe he will have a long successful career as a Qb. Maybe not. But don't tell us to ignore our eyes.

SportsMushroom

Quote Originally Posted by jgray View Post
    Admittedly, I haven't seen every pass he's thrown this season, but I've seen a lot. You are pissing into the wind if you are trying to convince us that he's an accurate passer. He was really good yesterday and delivered a great ball in OT. He also missed a couple of intermediate throws by YARDS earlier in the game. His mechanics are suspect and I have seen too many wounded ducks leave his hand. Perhaps one day he will be an accurate passer. Maybe not. Maybe he will have a long successful career as a Qb. Maybe not. But don't tell us to ignore our eyes.

I could say the exact same thing to you, I havent seen every pass he's thrown but I've seen a few, and he seems a lot better than what people give him credit for

also my point was not how accurate or inaccurate he is, my point is that his completion % is lower than it should be because his teammates let him down consistently

people keep reminding us how the defense helps tebow wins but they forget how much the offense lets him down, yes they drop easy catches, yes they dont get open enough and he has to throw an incompletion, yes they commit a bunch of needless penalties that bring the ball back after big completions etc etc

teaserpleaser
    teaserpleaser's Avatar Become A Pro!

Hes getting better but yeah guy will throw so ducks time to time that arent even close. That was one of his better throwing games yesterday imo

teaserpleaser
    teaserpleaser's Avatar Become A Pro!

His mechanics still look goofy that hitch he has but he avoids the rush well so I guess its okay

kingdom
    kingdom's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 1957

3.completions being called back because of stupid penalties by his team mates, and I mean stupid, yesterday tebow would've had another amazing td pass and that other guy goes and commits a penalty on the
    ONE yard line? you must be braindead committing a holding penalty on the one yard line while your teammate is only 2 yards away from scoring a td

i would say the bold writing is moronic. So Brady, Brees, Rogers, and Peyton are just blessed with the greatest receivers of all time? A great qb will always have wr's with incredible stats because open in the nfl is a tight window. They find their receivers in the tightest of spaces. Any doubts, watch some of the passes Eli and Brees threw this wknd. Tebow was only 10/21 against press coverage. brady faces every zone known to man and can still not be stopped.

I almost forgot. you told the whole story yourself with the opening sentence:
    "I know he has a 50% completion rate." Nothing more needs to be said after that. not any just "good" qb's complete at that bad a percentage. also look at his third down pass on the drive before ot. receiver was wide open and he couldn't even hit him near his knees. the ball hit the ground 7 yards away from the wide open receiver. its ok to like the guy, but be a little realistic.
    Last edited by kingdom; 01-09-12 at 03:01 PM.

kingdom
    kingdom's Avatar SBR PRO

you are kidding right, do you even watch football?

the receiver does not have time to adjust, especially not on long passes, if the pass is not pinpoint then the receiver has no chance, especially since most of the time the receiver does not see the ball until it is in his hands or almost in his hands

and an other reason why your argument holds no water, if the receiver has time to adjust then so does the defender, and it would be a turnover on every other play
    Apparently, you don't watch football. The receiver is at a distinct advantage because he is in the huddle and knows the play that is called and where a "good" qb will place the ball. A receiver constantly adjusts to an underthrown ball as well as finding holes in a zone. If you would like to learn more, there will be clinics put on this weekend by Brady, Brees, Manning, and Rogers. Tebow isn't even comparable to Matt Stafford or Andy Dalton at the moment.

InTheDrink
    Drinker of the Year
    InTheDrink's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 527

SportsMushroom just happens to leave the room to get another beer every time T-BO sails one 6 feet over a receiver's head....must have been pretty drunk a few games

SportsMushroom

Quote Originally Posted by kingdom View Post
    i would say the bold writing is moronic. So Brady, Brees, Rogers, and Peyton are just blessed with the greatest receivers of all time? A great qb will always have wr's with incredible stats because open in the nfl is a tight window. They find their receivers in the tightest of spaces. Any doubts, watch some of the passes Eli and Brees threw this wknd. Tebow was only 10/21 against press coverage. brady faces every zone known to man and can still not be stopped.

I almost forgot. you told the whole story yourself with the opening sentence:
    "I know he has a 50% completion rate." Nothing more needs to be said after that. not any just "good" qb's complete at that bad a percentage. also look at his third down pass on the drive before ot. receiver was wide open and he couldn't even hit him near his knees. the ball hit the ground 7 yards away from the wide open receiver. its ok to like the guy, but be a little realistic.
    so your argument is that the denver broncos have players that are atleast as good as:

patriots, saints, green bay?

I rest my case

SportsMushroom

Quote Originally Posted by kingdom View Post
    Apparently, you don't watch football. The receiver is at a distinct advantage because he is in the huddle and knows the play that is called and where a "good" qb will place the ball. A receiver constantly adjusts to an underthrown ball as well as finding holes in a zone. If you would like to learn more, there will be clinics put on this weekend by Brady, Brees, Manning, and Rogers. Tebow isn't even comparable to Matt Stafford or Andy Dalton at the moment.

you dont make sense, you are saying things that prove my point

yes the receiver knows were the ball is going and all he has to do is be there, if the throw is not accurate the play will end in half a second, there is no time for the receiver to adjust unless the ball is within reaching/leaping distance of him

and yes the receivers try to find holes, but if they need to find holes its because they did not do their job in the first place, and when they do find those holes again the quarterback is responsible to get the ball to them and again if the ball is not within leaping/reaching distance there is nothing the receiver can do

dodger33
    Kershnasty
    dodger33's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by thebestthereis View Post
    Teebow is joke and Denver needs to find someone else next year. Matt Ryan, Matty Ice, will be available in a year. Guys like than are accurate and win big games. There are many others too, Denver will get one. Then they actually have a chance to win something.
    Wait you want Denver to get the guy that couldn't do in 3 games what Tim did in one? WIN

SportsMushroom

lets not forget yesterday tebow put his name on the record books once more

he broke the record for most passing yards in first playoff appearance, previous owner of record mr john elway

also tebow broke record for average yards per completion in playoffs (31.6 yards)

InTheDrink
    Drinker of the Year
    InTheDrink's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 527

Quote Originally Posted by thebestthereis View Post
    Matty Ice is awful

If he didn't have three of the best receivers in the league he'd be a nobody.

And when did he win a big game?

kingdom
    kingdom's Avatar SBR PRO

you dont make sense, you are saying things that prove my point

yes the receiver knows were the ball is going and all he has to do is be there, if the throw is not accurate the play will end in half a second, there is no time for the receiver to adjust unless the ball is within reaching/leaping distance of him

and yes the receivers try to find holes, but if they need to find holes its because they did not do their job in the first place, and when they do find those holes again the quarterback is responsible to get the ball to them and again if the ball is not within leaping/reaching distance there is nothing the receiver can do
    i can only assume that you live in a foreign country with limited access to football. For that i cannot blame you. But the super bowl will be on in all countries so maybe then you can learn something about the game.

kingdom
    kingdom's Avatar SBR PRO

so your argument is that the denver broncos have players that are atleast as good as:

patriots, saints, green bay?

I rest my case
    no, that they have a player at a position that pales horribly in comparison to any of those guys. yet with the hype you would believe he was joe montana. please take a look at broncos schedule and see how he struggled to beat 7 teams with 8 wins or less. And was blasted out of the water in 3 of 4 losses. in fourth loss they only scored 3 points. losing by 35 to detroit, 25 to buffalo, and 41-23 to the pats in a game that could be much worse. Denver's defense is good when he doesn't turn the ball over and gives them a chance. that "d" and team you say is so sorry enables him to win when he does.

k13
    k13's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1668

Tebow is probably the best football player in the NFL right now.

dodger33
    Kershnasty
    dodger33's Avatar Become A Pro!

Mushroom i know where you are coming from and you make some good points. I have seen every single one of Tim's passes this year.
    His main problem is inconsistent footwork which leads to errant throws. As a first year starter in the NFL there are a million things he could work on and needs to get better at but overall he is a very serviceable NFL QB right now. The last three weeks he was playing to not lose his job and I do blame some of it on conservative play calling. In the KC game he had very few open receivers to throw to. I felt he made some very good decisions but he just isn't on the same page as his receivers yet. Once his receivers know what to expect he will become a much more proficient passer.

Mac4Lyfe
    Mac4Lyfe's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11930

I've seen everyone of his passes too and his completion percentage is low for a variety of reasons.

- Piss poor receivers that can't catch, get open or separation on routes. DThomas has gotten better every game but is still raw and recovering from Achilles injury.

- Piss poor play calling. McCoy and his run on 1st and 2nd philosophy is plain stupid. It sets Tebow up for 3rd and longs and your not going to convert too many 3rd and longs in the NFL thus driving down Tebow's percentage. Last night they ran it on 1st down every possession except in OT. Any wonder why the first time they attempt to throw on 1st down that it was successful?? He also isn't very creative. Most people in the stands know what play Denver runs before they even line up.

- Tebow being on a short leash thus afraid to make a mistake. Many times when you see Tebow throw it in the dirt, it's not because he can't throw or inaccurate. Many times the receiver is covered up and Tebow throws it away or in a spot that only the receiver can get to it. Tebow's been criticized even from the Bronco front office. He's never been their guy. He's been told that he's week to week. How much confidence would you have under the same circumstances? They've never come out and said that he's our guy.

I don't understand how anyone can compare Tim Tebow, a 2nd year guy that's never had OTA's with the starting offense to guys like Manning, Brady, Brees and Rodgers. That is asinine...

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR
    Chi_archie's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3212

Tebow is very polarizing

I tend to take the middle ground and just sit back and enjoy the entertainment and drama that this guy has created on and off the field. Enjoy it while you can, next year will have a new big storyline

Blazermaniac
    Blazermaniac's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1027

I vote TEBOW for President since Obama hasn't done sht to the economy. And Tebow can throw boys. Seen it 4 years at Florida. Don't know where you people have been. Guy is a winner. Just need play makers to hekp him out. For start...a number one receiver.

wal66
    wal66's Avatar Become A Pro!

I'm a Tebow supporter but also I have coached football for years so I look at it from a coaching point of view more than a fan.

No question his delivery needs to speed up. He isn't good on the quick hitter and is really bad at throwing the out to the right. He throws a very good deep route and he throws good rolling out to the left. He has a decent offensive line so he NEEDS to learn to look one way even pump then come back the other way.

Thomas like Tebow is getting better with every game. If that progression continues and if Denver gets another serious threat maybe even just a really reliable tightend this will go a long way to continued success.

Tim will never be a Joe Montana or Tom Brady type of quarterback but if he seriously works at it, if Denver adds the one or two pieces still needed then this can work. The threat of read option is something that will be a stable in a Tebow offense. You'll see more of it with Cam in Carolina too probably.

Oh and Tebow has to learn and get comfortable under center as well.

antifoil
    Update your status
    antifoil's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6611

all QBs suffer from the stuff you mentioned, but they still have better percentages.

hockeyman30304
    hockeyman30304's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 19

Haters going to hate and Tebow is going to win thats how it will always be....

Ive watched every Bronco game this year as I do every year, and maybe im a homer but Tebows stats look worse as you stated he throws them away because WR cant get open...Id rather him throw it away rather than force it in to tight coverage like Romo ..BTW anyone who defends Romo Tebow has the same # of playoff wins than him and as for 0 win Matty "Ice" no way ill take Tebow

12 Last