staring into the abyss
    sideloaded's Avatar Become A Pro!

Jimm the Greek was NOT sharp

guy was a hamburger

manny24
    pay Bobby
    manny24's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 649

dude sure could cap colored folks though couldn't he?

Al Masters
    Al Masters's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 11516

He hit the nail right on the head,then lost his career for it.

Glitch
    Glitch's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5224

Quote Originally Posted by sideloaded View Post
    guy was a hamburger
    he didnt have to be sharp, just sharpER; he use to import news papers from different cities via passing trains to get information most people around didnt have. this is just one example.

Quote Originally Posted by Al Masters View Post
    He hit the nail right on the head,then lost his career for it.
    very sad. he didn't even say it maliciously/disrespectfully; he was just stating his opinion based on his analysis. many people shared his opinion and still do today.

mathdotcom
    mathdotcom's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1943

It's not an opinion, it's a fukkin fact

Glitch

Quote Originally Posted by mathdotcom View Post
    It's not an opinion, it's a fukkin fact
    *his interpretation of his analysis.

Filmoz
    Filmoz's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 793

I agree that Jimmy was not being malicious or disrespectful. Kind of sad to see someone get forced out by an overly-PC society just because they are an old-school guy and a bit out of touch.

Having said that, whatever validity there may have been to the theory about black athletes being superior due to generations of "breeding" in the slave days, has largely been diminished by the present-day influx of equally good black athletes of pure African descent, i.e. not descended from African-American slaves. Think Nnamdi Asomugha, etc.

Can't it just be that there are a hell of a lot of black people with good physical genetics and athletic talent? Just like how we can probably point out predominant traits of other races without crossing the line into racism?

Glitch

well just because he didnt say strength, speed and other physical attributes have been bred among this demographic for a long time for hunting and survival purposes, that doesn't mean that they have not been doing this to a certain extent before slave days as well.

we've tried to have discussions about it but its very difficult because you have one group of people crying racist and accusing people of racism etc then you have the group that is actually being racist. this makes the conversation very difficult but it is an interesting one for sure.

a recent thread got to a point of 'what exactly can woven into the code and passed down through heredity?'

Reload
    Winning Aint Easy
    Reload's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 14840

He started out sharp but his ego spiraled out of control.

wantitall4moi
    wantitall4moi's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3834

he guy at access to actual information that made a difference. He could then do what most of us did back then, call bookies in every city around the country and play the lines accordingly. That was really the thing that the internet killed off. Even with vegas most bookies wouldnt give a shit what they were hanging because a vast majority of their players were in their city. So in an Lakers Celtic games vegas might have -3.5 on Bos. Boston could be as high as -5, and LA might have Bos -1. Guys booked tot heir clientele.

So if you had contacts in multiple cities you were already locked in, but when you could get late edition newspapers with injury reports or updates you were a king. This was the norm even when I was still in high school in the mid 80s. ESPN was coming up then but still not anywhere near what it is today in terms of reporting valid information that could be used for gambling.

But in the 60s and 70 these media people had all the info long before anyone else.

SportsMushroom
    SportsMushroom's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6839

Quote Originally Posted by Filmoz View Post
    I agree that Jimmy was not being malicious or disrespectful. Kind of sad to see someone get forced out by an overly-PC society just because they are an old-school guy and a bit out of touch.

Having said that, whatever validity there may have been to the theory about black athletes being superior due to generations of "breeding" in the slave days, has largely been diminished by the present-day influx of equally good black athletes of pure African descent, i.e. not descended from African-American slaves. Think Nnamdi Asomugha, etc.

Can't it just be that there are a hell of a lot of black people with good physical genetics and athletic talent? Just like how we can probably point out predominant traits of other races without crossing the line into racism?
    so one good nfl player makes all africans good athletes?

there are a ton of white guys in the nfl so I guess whites are the best athletes in the world

wantitall4moi
    wantitall4moi's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3834

Quote Originally Posted by SportsMushroom View Post

there are a ton of white guys in the nfl so I guess whites are the best athletes in the world
    The best 'athletes' are going to be decathletes for the most part, some could say triathletes I suppose. Either way most of those are dominated by white guys. The argument could be made however that black people who are great athletes are nurtured at a young age to go into sports that could actually make them money. Jimmy probably would have said Blacks cant swim so they wouldnt be good at triathlons.

iifold
    Update your status
    iifold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1774

Lying is not a good thing for society...

See "Weapons of Mass Destruction", "Political Correctness", and "Global Warming"...

iifold
    Update your status
    iifold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1774

And as far as race and talent goes...

It a chicken and egg thing...

Created by the the sun...

dredmahawkus
    dredmahawkus's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 19

I used to help out a local do phones.......when don best first came out....around the begining of the internet age. guy used to call in and bet 5 dimes a game....1-2 minutes after he called line trackers lines would move 1-2 points in his favor. you couldnt trick him.....he would say what is boston...you say -5 he would say ok gimme lakers +5 ....what is seattle....-7....ok gimme seattle -7......right after he called we would move his bets up 2 points.....then like clock work 2 minutes later all those lines move across the board.....they limited him to 1 dime a game then a nickle....then I think it wasnt enough so he stopped calling in....but they swore he worked for The Greek.

VegasInsider
    Update your status
    VegasInsider's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 18

Big and high thighs

Classic Jimmy.

Filmoz
    Filmoz's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 793

Quote Originally Posted by SportsMushroom View Post

Lol cuz that is exactly what I said. Learn some reading comprehension dude.

SportsMushroom
    SportsMushroom's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6839

Quote Originally Posted by Filmoz View Post
    Lol cuz that is exactly what I said. Learn some reading comprehension dude.

I understood what you wrote, did you?

you said that that africans are equal athletes to african americans and gave an example

and my response was that one dude does not proof make

tell me a sport is which is dominated by an african country?

football? europe/south america
    basketball? north america/europe
    hockey? north america/europe
    tennis? europe/america
    badminton? asia

you only have south africa which is good at cricket, and their team is still a bunch of white guys

even in the olympics african countries dont amount to much