t-wizzle
    t-wizzle's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2191

Penn State hires Bill O'Brien to be Head Coach

No link to confirm but expect the news to break soon.

Brock Landers
    Forever in Debt to your Priceless Advice
    Brock Landers's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8792

no one wants that job

t-wizzle

Doesn't make any sense to me but whatever.

Dirty Sanchez
    Two time SBR Academy Award winner
    Dirty Sanchez's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 26

If it's true...it's a bad hire for Penn State...zero head coaching experience. All of the Belichek disciples have been disasters as Head Coaches...but Penn State can't exactly be picky right now

ebbearsfb1
    ebbearsfb1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1694

no hire for them is a bad hire... lucky they dont have jj coaching them next year... atleast he has nfl experience will help with recruiting...
    will be a tough job

ZBOIZ
    ZBOIZ's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 9739

Bad hire

t-wizzle

All i know about this guy is that he got in an argument with Brady during the game. Did he put that on his resume?

d2bets
    d2bets's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 21413

How much of a raise is he getting? Aside from the money, I can't imagine why he'd want to leave his job with the Pats for this situation. I gotta question his judgment just by taking the job. Unless he's making huge bucks and couldn't come close otherwise.

MC PICKS
    Update your status
    MC PICKS's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 265

Quote Originally Posted by t-wizzle View Post
    All i know about this guy is that he got in an argument with Brady during the game. Did he put that on his resume?
    Thats probably why he is being shipped off to state college, like being outcast to siberia back in the old commie russian days. The program is gonna be a disaster for the next few years anyway with all these kids decommitting so the next head coach has nothing to lose anyway and everything to gain if he can put together a good season or two. The beating by houston was just a preview of the next few years to come.

HoulihansTX
    Bowl $ea$on
    HoulihansTX's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 295

Horrific hire.

Penn St welcome to irrelevancy

ebbearsfb1
    ebbearsfb1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1694

How can anyone say its bad hire? You can't tell if its a good or bad hire for a few years... obviously penn state wasn't going to get a top named coach... and why leave the pats? Because your getting at a head coaching job at a major university in a big conference... yeah there may or may not be probations and what not but its still a head coaching gig and if he is able to weather the storm for a few years, it'll give him a chance if he wants to go to a better gig or build there

InTheDrink
    Drinker of the Year
    InTheDrink's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 527

but but....twizzle you had inside info that al golden was getting the job

Didn't we bet all of your betpoints on that?

daimoshokage
    daimoshokage's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 57

fUKK bILL oBRIEN.. gUY sCREAMED oN tOM fUKKING bRADY.. nEVER eVER dO tHAT oN a hALL Of fAMER! fUKK hIS aSS!

balls2wall
    balls2wall's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6601

For all the bad hire comments

You do realize that absolutely nobody wants this job right now. It is toxic. They have been turned down left and right. I am assuming this is the best they could do given the current scandal.

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR
    Chi_archie's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2260

gonna be a tough road, lots of desperation on both sides of this deal I guess

Seattle Slew
    Seattle Slew's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9422

When are these people going to learn just because you call plays for a Hall of Fame quarterback doesn't make you a head coach? See Norv Turner, Charlie Weis, Josh McDaniels. The list is endless.

Look at this guy's resume. It's a joke. His best college jobs were offensive assistants at Duke, Maryland, and Georgia Tech.

He'll coach there for three years, then once the scandal blows over, they'll hire a big coach in 4 years to turn it around.

HoulihansTX
    Bowl $ea$on
    HoulihansTX's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 295

Quote Originally Posted by daimoshokage View Post
    fUKK hIS aSS!

thetrinity
    penetrate me to tears
    thetrinity's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5536

joke hire. no one wants the job anyways. i hate penn st and i even feel bad for em.

Filmoz
    Filmoz's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 793

Quote Originally Posted by thetrinity View Post
    joke hire. no one wants the job anyways. i hate penn st and i even feel bad for em.
    This. Penn State envies schools that just have routine recruiting/improper benefits scandals. A child sex abuse scandal, that's like literally one of the worst possible things you can imagine. The program is absolutely toxic. Forget a few years, an entire generation will need to go by before people even begin to stop thinking of that as the first thing that comes to mind when they hear Penn State. I don't know about you guys, but nowadays when I hear Penn State I can't help but make the association. I was driving behind a car the other day with a Penn State alumni license plate frame and that was the first thing I though of. An absolute disaster.

When a new coach comes in to take over a program that is recovering from normal NCAA violations, there is always that sense of hope and optimism and goodwill. You get the press conference where the new coach will talk about the long and storied history of the program, and how happy he is to be taking the reins, etc. None of that here, just depressing.

wantitall4moi
    wantitall4moi's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3834

He was a year or so behind me at Brown but I couldnt pick him out of a line up, so as an alum I cant get on him too much. But this makes no sense from any angle.

The fact he walked in did a single interview and got the job with maybe 90 minutes on campus reeks.

I am sure it is a cash grab. if he catches lightening in a bottle he can parlay it into a NFL stint with some loser team, if it crashes and burns which is most likely he will be back in the NFL s a coordinator somewhere. Turn over is high in the NFL and most guys who are capable hat want jobs can get them pretty easily.

mv09
    mv09's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2630

Penn State players and alums are a bunch of scumbags

They've never met the guy. Never talked to him before yet they are willing to bad mouth him to the media and say they will not support him under any circumstances.

Nobody wants that train-wreck of a job. They're delusional.

DOMINATER
    DOMINATER's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1180

WOW WEE you get into an arguement with boy wonder next thing you know your on the bricks