k13
    k13's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1800

If you followed the line in EVERY NFL Game this year...

You would be ~61%, why make it tougher than it is? Just saying.

That's around a 200 game sample not some mickey mouse sample of 25 games.

Not sure why people keep saying line moves are meaningless, they always bring up some silly example like Packers at Lions. Like one game really matters in the big picture.
    Points Awarded:

brooks85 gave k13 10 SBR Point(s) for this post.

UntilTheNDofTimE
    I thought i told you that we dont stop
    UntilTheNDofTimE's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 151

so bet the side going with the immediate line movement of half point?

iifold
    Update your status
    iifold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1774

There are NO shortcuts in life...

The quicker you realize this, the better...

Hard Work and Discipline are proven...

You have to think weeks and months ahead and wait like a Fukkin Spider...

Hard to do...
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 2 times . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: TR88, and MadTiger

marcoloco
    marcoloco's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9120

Quote Originally Posted by k13 View Post

i love stats like this. thx for posting

Inkwell77
    Inkwell77's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2413

What type of line moves are you talking about? Line moves from the opening number on Sunday night? Late line moves right before kick off? Line moves from the beginning of the year where every game had a spread? Just saying follow line moves is too vague

warriorfan707
    SBR Poster of the Milennium
    warriorfan707's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Inkwell77 View Post
    What type of line moves are you talking about? Line moves from the opening number on Sunday night? Late line moves right before kick off? Line moves from the beginning of the year where every game had a spread? Just saying follow line moves is too vague

ssmann
    ssmann's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2465

can you explain the method here? im a newbie

hangtime
    hangtime's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by ssmann View Post
    can you explain the method here? im a newbie
    once lines are opened for games to be wagered on, lines are sometimes adjusted or prices are juiced towards certain teams. He is saying if you follow these line movements for every game in the regular season you would be at a 61% clip.

thebestthereis
    thebestthereis's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8056

Fade Lang and stop wasting time with all of the other crap. Fade and get laid.

warriorfan707
    SBR Poster of the Milennium
    warriorfan707's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by thebestthereis View Post
    If its so simple to just fade Lang and get rich why don't you do it?

firehoyt
    Are you serious, Clark?
    firehoyt's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 31

Quote Originally Posted by hangtime View Post
    once lines are opened for games to be wagered on, lines are sometimes adjusted or prices are juiced towards certain teams. He is saying if you follow these line movements for every game in the regular season you would be at a 61% clip.
    If you wait for the moment before you wager, then you've gotten a bad number. Is the 61% based on winning ATS at line opening or closing?

k13

Quote Originally Posted by firehoyt View Post
    If you wait for the moment before you wager, then you've gotten a bad number. Is the 61% based on winning ATS at line opening or closing?
    This is based on the closing line and getting a "bad" number.

thetrinity
    penetrate me to tears
    thetrinity's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5536

i knew that a good majority of these moves were hitting, just by looking week to week. this is over 223 games to be exact. glad someone pointed this out. i wonder how many games you would have hit if you got the best possible number on these sides? detroit was a win with best possible number yesterday and minnesota was a win at best possible number early in the season vs detroit (closed on 3 for a push). wonder what the clip was for dogs and favorites separately? a bit curious on that.

d2bets
    d2bets's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 21629

OK so are you saying that this is based on betting the into each closing line on the side that is a worse line than the opener (e.g. line moved from +3 to +2.5; bet +2.5)? How much of a move qualified - any half-point? What are you using as your official opener/closer?

smoke a bowl
    smoke a bowl's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 14472

Not sure why people keep saying line moves are meaningless, they always bring up some silly example like Packers at Lions. Like one game really matters in the big picture.
    Versus the closer?

On Top
    On Top's Avatar Become A Pro!

"

jstblaze
    jstblaze's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 19

are you saying you would be hitting 60% if you took the line after it had moved against you already?

then that is a solid statistic.

if you are saying that you would be 60% if you got the best line in situations where the line moved, then that is just a pointless observation.

On Top

Have you ever checked the record for college football??

On Top

I think what he is saying, for example GB line opened at -14 this week closed at -11, -11.5. There for bet the way the line is moving towards KC.

thetrinity
    penetrate me to tears

Quote Originally Posted by d2bets View Post
    OK so are you saying that this is based on betting the into each closing line on the side that is a worse line than the opener (e.g. line moved from +3 to +2.5; bet +2.5)? How much of a move qualified - any half-point? What are you using as your official opener/closer?
    this is a good question. id imagine he means for a half point move.

thetrinity
    penetrate me to tears

Quote Originally Posted by jstblaze View Post
    are you saying you would be hitting 60% if you took the line after it had moved against you already? then that is a solid statistic. if you are saying that you would be 60% if you got the best line in situations where the line moved, then that is just a pointless observation.
    post 12 blaze.

FourLengthsClear
    King of the Idiots
    FourLengthsClear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 508

It was around 52% last year and 49% the year before.
    So is the market becoming more efficient, less efficient or are we just looking at variance?

Is there a similar story with totals?
    Last edited by FourLengthsClear; 12-19-11 at 10:23 AM.

k13

Just did a quick study on "bad numbers".

Getting the very worst closing line would have resulted in 3 losses and 5 pushes on the year.

I'll look deeper when I have more time for accuracy but that's rather a minimal loss.

jstblaze
    jstblaze's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 19

Thanks.

Pretty significant then, if you are always betting the bad number after line movement, and it is still hitting.

Would make me think there is some significance to the linesmakers this season and their starting line.

This was based solely on line moving atleast half point? and not taking into account juiced lines that stayed put?

TheMoneyShot
    TheMoneyShot's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 23701

K13 - This has been the most unusual NFL and College season ever. Dogs aren't barking like they normally do. Worse season in 7 years. I'm not going to change my method because of some fluke year. I'll adjust and be ready for next year... using my same system.

Ch Br
    Ch Br's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 349

You would be ~61%, why make it tougher than it is? Just saying. That's around a 200 game sample not some mickey mouse sample of 25 games. Not sure why people keep saying line moves are meaningless, they always bring up some silly example like Packers at Lions. Like one game really matters in the big picture.
    Quote Originally Posted by thebestthereis View Post
    LOL its posts like these that keep me comin back ahahahahah

d2bets
    d2bets's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 21629

If the movement is really 61% against closers, it's gotta be hitting at least 65%+ against openers. Pretty amazing.

k13

Quote Originally Posted by FourLengthsClear View Post
    It was around 52% last year and 49% the year before.
    So is the market becoming more efficient, less efficient or are we just looking at variance?

Is there a similar story with totals?
    Was this based on Pinnacle/thegreek lines?

At how many games do you draw variance out of the equation?

I don't follow totals, sorry. It is a lot of data to follow as is.

FourLengthsClear
    King of the Idiots

Was this based on Pinnacle/thegreek lines?

At how many games do you draw variance out of the equation?

I don't follow totals, sorry. It is a lot of data to follow as is.
    Based on the Pinny closer, yes although it depends on how much of a move is considered 'enough' to be included in the sample.

In terms of discounting variance, all you can do is measure in terms of standard deviations from the mean. 61% from 200+ games is certainly a substantial deviation but then there is also a correlation with the number of favourites covering the spread which is also much higher this season, so far. The implication of that is markets which are less efficient than in previous years which would be tough to explain.

Nonetheless there is no harm in riding a gravy train even if it can be expected to slow down/stop at some point.

k13

Quote Originally Posted by d2bets View Post
    If the movement is really 61% against closers, it's gotta be hitting at least 65%+ against openers. Pretty amazing.
    The difference is surprisingly minimal.

Very few games where it actually mattered and majority of people get a bad number to begin with since they don't bang lines on Sunday night when they come out.

Another thing to remember is lot of people like to buy off the key number (0.5 point).

TheCentaur
    TheCentaur's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 68

I was really bored and just a flipped a coin 100 times, no lie. One side came up exactly 60 times, while the other came up 40. Which side do you think came up 60? Now if you could only know that ahead of time.

It was tails by the way.

4TH AND STUPID
    best NFL capper at SBR
    4TH AND STUPID's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1990

cool story bro..

but we all know you didnt flip a coin 100 times.

you were playing call of duty and in between a team deathmatch game you had a few seconds to spare and posted this stupidity. next time contribute something meaningful to a thread or fuk off and keep playing cod

TheCentaur

Quote Originally Posted by 4TH AND STUPID View Post
    cool story bro..

but we all know you didnt flip a coin 100 times.

you were playing call of duty and in between a team deathmatch game you had a few seconds to spare and posted this stupidity. next time contribute something meaningful to a thread or fuk off and keep playing cod
    That was a cool story too. It only took about ten minutes, and I don't play video games. Is that you Frizelli, or are you just another pissed off kid on a losing streak?

If you don't believe it happens do it yourself. The point is, 200 sample size has plenty of variance, and if betting against the line move happened to be ~61% this year there would be an almost identical thread pointing this out and how betting against the public is a sure thing.

FourLengthsClear
    King of the Idiots

Quote Originally Posted by TheCentaur View Post
    I was really bored and just a flipped a coin 100 times, no lie. One side came up exactly 60 times, while the other came up 40. Which side do you think came up 60? Now if you could only know that ahead of time.

It was tails by the way.
    The probability of flipping 60 or more tails in 100 flips is 2.30%
    The probability of flipping 120 or more tails in 200 flips is 0.23%

The argument that is only variance is tenuous.

TheCentaur

Quote Originally Posted by FourLengthsClear View Post
    The probability of flipping 60 or more tails in 100 flips is 2.30%
    The probability of flipping 120 or more tails in 200 flips is 0.23%

The argument that is only variance is tenuous.
    Ok now double that because you could flip 60 tails or heads, now add the possibility of flipping 55,56,57,58,59 tails, now double that for heads, and add it all together.

Could be wrong, I know you are a smart guy. But saying 60 or more tails is 2.3% is misleading, isn't it?

Then you have to take in to account that the OP is probably searching for a trend in totals, Monday night games for the past ten years, domes vs. grass, teams coming off a bye week, etc., so the chances of not finding something at ~61% with around 200 samples would be a surprise.

I remember a few years ago my cousin was going to light a cigarette and dropped the cigarette on the ground. It landed on it's end, and didn't fall over, just stood there. We were amazed, and of course tried to do it again and again with no success. It was like lightning struck because the chances of doing that again are very long. But you also have to take in to account how many random events you observe every day, yet don't notice until something weird happens.

I'm not saying the op's observation can't be significant, but 200 is still a small sample size, especially when you are searching for a pattern, instead of forming a hypothesis and then testing it. It's the main reason sportsbetting is a multi billion dollar industry.

123 Last