RubberKettle
    RubberKettle's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 791

**** PETA and **** all you liberals

thezbar
    .lent
    thezbar's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 1640

This last episode was the best written so far. The show was just settling into its best stride.

EaglesPhan36
    EaglesPhan36's Avatar Become A Pro!

I decided not to watch any more. It only makes me angrier when shows get cancelled and you get to watch out the string of last episodes and it makes you want more. F-in PETA.

Reload
    Winning Aint Easy
    Reload's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 14852

Quote Originally Posted by thezbar View Post
    This last episode was the best written so far. The show was just settling into its best stride.
    I'd agree, zbar. They lessened the focus on the four degenerates and let the other characters get into higher gear. Looking forward to the finale next week, hoping HBO changes its mind and continues the story in *some way* next year.

thezbar
    .lent
    thezbar's Avatar SBR PRO

Wishful thinking about next year. The actors need to move on. Plus production costs were a pretty penny no doubt. Next week we see the matchup of the two big horses along with other subplots. On a side note via hbogo.com I been watching old episodes of "Rome". The female jockey in Luck did several nude scenes in Rome.

EmpireMaker
    EmpireMaker's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 513

they were already shooting the next season when the latest accident happened not sure if they had any fully completed episodes for next season yet or not

wtf
    wtf's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 61

i still think it was over the top to product their own racing scenes, totally unnecessary, peta can lick my taint but it shooting those scenes did not add much value frankly

thezbar
    .lent
    thezbar's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by EmpireMaker View Post
    they were already shooting the next season when the latest accident happened not sure if they had any fully completed episodes for next season yet or not
    Two episodes of season two were in the can at the time they cancelled the series

thezbar
    .lent
    thezbar's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by wtf View Post
    i still think it was over the top to product their own racing scenes, totally unnecessary, peta can lick my taint but it shooting those scenes did not add much value frankly
    I agree totally. The race in last Sundays episode were Ronny Jerkins's mount goes wire to wire was about as realistic as snow in summer. As they turned into the stretch the horse was in a full hammer lock as if he was being pulled up. They were issues about this from the very beginning. Peta has a point.

str
    Nothing's easy
    str's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 68545

Quote Originally Posted by thezbar View Post
    I agree totally. The race in last Sundays episode were Ronny Jerkins's mount goes wire to wire was about as realistic as snow in summer. As they turned into the stretch the horse was in a full hammer lock as if he was being pulled up. They were issues about this from the very beginning. Peta has a point.
    In completely agree as well. The races that were staged, from every angle except maybe the jockey cam, were ridiculous. Some of the the horses had hay bellies or signs of atrophy. IMO it took away from the many scenes that were spot on like the drawing of the race or the barn scenes, just to name a few.

wantitall4moi
    wantitall4moi's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3834

How hard would it be for them to use actual race footage from real races. there are a thousand races a day across the country. Just splice some of that in with some CG angles or something.

I think the show was tanking and they just got an easy eject button from it and got everyones favorites scapegoat to blame...PETA.

Shows that are 'successful' find ways to work around little issues like this. They didnt NEED those close ups or drama filled stagings, they could cherry pick a dozen races like that every day from across the country and enhance the video change some colors and settings and it wouldnt even be noticeable. Plus it would be more realistic since it was an actual race.

The fix here was way too easy to cancel due to that. Thats why I say I think the show was tanking they found an easy out and took it. The show sucked anyway so it isnt surprising.

wtt0315
    This is the Broncos Year.
    wtt0315's Avatar Become A Pro!

i agree i was very excited about this show, but stopped watching it a couple episodes in. Watch the walking dead instead and recorded luck. I still havent went back and watch the ones i recorded. Too much bouncing around between charecters and pretty unrealistic. I hated the race scenes because you knew they were going throw some injury into it to make it dramatic. I have hard enough time watching real races after a injury. Nothing like watching jockeys pulling back on their horses in the strech so they others could go by it. It they were racing the horses mulitple times a day like what is being said they should be canceled and animal cruelty charges should be filed. The show was slow and I really didnt expect a show about luck talk so much about trainers banging vets and getting them knocked up and stuttering agents who cant even kill their selves right. The poker scenes really? This guy would make sbr poker players look good. The asian guy lord can we sterotype the voice anymore. They could of done so much better with this its not even funny. Oh nothing like seeing 4 broke degens living in a roach motel go win 3 million and then not even buy theirselves a car from the 90's.

Thunder Gulch
    Thunder Gulch's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 204

Here's the truth> PETA can jump off a bridge for all I care.

http://www.paulickreport.com/news/ra...-from-ethical/

Reload
    Winning Aint Easy
    Reload's Avatar SBR PRO

Anyone have thoughts on which horse will win the "Western Derby"? Will Tony put odds up on this at 5Dimes?

bobby heenan
    Update your status
    bobby heenan's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 75

dunno...maybe the show was tanking and this was a way out for them without having to admit it....

i was watching and enjoying

it probably would be easy for hbo to fill the racing scenes with actual racing footage...but that pretty much defeats the purpose and i think goes against the artistic integrity of an original series...hbo has so many great, acclaimed, original programs.....and they are constantly trying to take it to the next level....would be a major step back for them to have to borrow footage....shooting their own stuff is what prides them and seperates them from a lifetime orginal movie/series

thezbar
    .lent
    thezbar's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by Reload View Post
    Anyone have thoughts on which horse will win the "Western Derby"? Will Tony put odds up on this at 5Dimes?
    There are a couple of story lines that indicate Mr. Smith's horse will not win. First of all Rosie going to the whip against instructions in the prep race. Second of all he drew the one hole. In addition you have the Ronny Jenkins factor. I think the horse will lose via a bad trip, jockey error, speed duel or come up a little short while being tons the best. Pick your poison there. I also think "Ace's" horse will fall victim to racing luck and finish close but not win. The trainer with the cowboy hat who won the shake then sold the claiming horse back to the four amigo's in an earlier episode will win the horse by default. That's my take.

jjaycuny
    jjaycuny's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9422

Quote Originally Posted by Reload View Post

I'd agree, zbar. They lessened the focus on the four degenerates and let the other characters get into higher gear. Looking forward to the finale next week, hoping HBO changes its mind and continues the story in *some way* next year.
    I would too, but the storyline is a little too convoluted for me. I find myself saying, "wtf was that conversation about?" after a few scenes.

Reload
    Winning Aint Easy
    Reload's Avatar SBR PRO

What did everyone think of the finale? I'd say they got a few things right.

The scene toward the end where Jerry is counting the money with Naomi laying there naked was pretty classic. Would have liked another season of this show - hope they can do a movie or something later to tie up some of the loose ends.

stevek173
    stevek173's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5964

That was a great show. I'm really going to miss it. Hoffman is just cool.

mikemca
    Update Status
    mikemca's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 98

Quote Originally Posted by wtt0315 View Post
    It they were racing the horses mulitple times a day like what is being said they should be canceled and animal cruelty charges should be filed.
    They were only allowed to run the horses a 1/4 mile twice a day with a cooling off period in between.

I agree the last episode was the best yet with the stretch run scene while filling the plots in between was great.Maybe the gangster part and the gamblers part was a little overblown.If only it was that easy to hit a monster pick 6 and pick 4 while singling a 12-1 and 20-1 shot in each.

Reload
    Winning Aint Easy
    Reload's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by mikemca View Post
    They were only allowed to run the horses a 1/4 mile twice a day with a cooling off period in between.

I agree the last episode was the best yet with the stretch run scene while filling the plots in between was great.Maybe the gangster part and the gamblers part was a little overblown.If only it was that easy to hit a monster pick 6 and pick 4 while singling a 12-1 and 20-1 shot in each.
    Sequences like this are what made the show great. They have done this in a few other episodes where they cut to different cast members while music plays, showing what's all happening with them at that moment. Hope this gets an emmy for best directing at least.

First 123