eidolon
    USA
    eidolon's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15766

Think you could hit 90mph fastball?

Anyone here think they could get a homerun or a hit on a 90mph fastball?

Here is a test to see if your reaction time would even be fast enough to get a hit:

http://www.exploratorium.edu/baseball/reactiontime.html

Deuce
    Eddie Mush
    Deuce's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3519

Easy

goofyre
    Cole World.
    goofyre's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 91

In baseball you see the pitcher wind up and know when the pitch is coming. This gives no notice. I don't think this can compare anything to being like hitting a 90mph fastball.

TheCentaur
    TheCentaur's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 68

Thanks eidolon, that was fun. After swinging and missing about 6 times I hit a home run with a .09 reaction time. The second quickest reaction was .26 seconds. Of course I anticipated on that home run instead of reacted.

This brings up an interesting point about hitting. In little league through high school a lot of hitting is seeing and reacting. Once you get to the higher levels I think it's more about anticipating and getting in the head of the pitcher. Those major leaguers don't see a curve and slow down to hit it. They prepare for a curve if that's what they think the pitcher will throw, and try to fight off a fastball if that's what comes. If they guess fastball, outer half of the plate and that's what comes they have the best of it. I don't think any of them are fast enough against a 95-100 mph pitcher to effectively react to a fastball anywhere in the strikezone.

hawley
    hawley's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 79

Chimneyfish
    Chimneyfish's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1283

Cool site. Impossible off some Jim Beam all night though. Gonna try it again tomorrow.

Goat Milk
    Goat Milk's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10176

when i count to 3 i can hit a home run every time

in real life no chance

LLXC
    LLXC's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10451

Nobody on this forum could touch a 90+ mph fastball from a major league pitcher.

jon21588
    jon21588's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 61

hitting a 90mph fastball is no problem as long as you know a fastball is coming every time. once the sliders and change ups start coming, thats when shit gets tough.

ballahollic2
    Update your status
    ballahollic2's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10716

exactly it is semi similar to sitting on a pitch doing that experiment. If you know the fastball is coming your fine but when you factor in that you don't know what is coming it is not that easy

ballahollic2
    Update your status
    ballahollic2's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10716

the better question is do you think you could hit a pitcher throwing the kitchen sink at you up at the plate?

smoke a bowl
    smoke a bowl's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 14472

Quote Originally Posted by jon21588 View Post
    hitting a 90mph fastball is no problem as long as you know a fastball is coming every time. once the sliders and change ups start coming, thats when shit gets tough.
    Exactly. A fastball is pretty over rated in and of itself. Anybody with some athletic ability can hit a 90mph fast ball in a batting cage when they know it is coming but when you mix the fastball with some change ups,curves, and sliders it becomes a tough mission.

tanner40
    tanner40's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8060

Hell no

blackbeSSt
    blackbeSSt's Avatar Become A Pro!

i think im worth $254 mill

TodayIsForgotten
    TodayIsForgotten's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 615

Quote Originally Posted by jon21588 View Post
    Not really. The fastest I ever hit was 85. I was a pretty good ball player and considered going to tryout for minors. We faced one guy who was hitting 89-91. Needless to say he struck me out. First pitch i was thinking this is the fastest i've ever seen, second pitch he buckled my knees with a curve and the 3rd pitch he threw another fastball in a different location. Neeldess to say he struck me out twice. If you know its going to be in a certain area a fast ball is easy to hit, but who pitches in the same area every time?

MC PICKS
    Update your status
    MC PICKS's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 265

I hit one off a guy in high school who was drafted but fizzled out in the minors, i was a spohmore too, fukking ball still hasnt landed.

MC PICKS
    Update your status
    MC PICKS's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 265

A home run that is.

numismatist
    Le roi est mort, vive le roi...
    numismatist's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1369

I was a pretty good baseball player, I was invited several times as a teenager to try out for Team Ontario, when I was 20 I could probably hit a 90 mph fastball coming straight down. Definitely anything 85 and under. I played against pitchers that went on to scholarships at top tier universities and being drafted. One guy on my team got drafted by the Cubs in the 40th something round. Never made it though.
    Could I hit a ML pitcher 90 mph fastball with all the movement today? Not a fukkin chance. In fact I am not sure I would even get in the batters box. Doubt I could even hit a 80 mph change up. Probably couldn't even get around on anything over 70 mph these days. Got old.