doublej95
    Co Power Poster 2011
    doublej95's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 19

Should The NBA Have The Right To Kill The Paul/Laker Trade

The NBA as the owners of the New Orleans Hornets nixed the Hornets/Laker trade that would have sent Chris Paul to the Lakers. Did the NBA abuse their power for their own interest to hopefully keep Paul in the struggling market of New Orleans.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/C...ts-deal-120811

frostno98
    frostno98's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 648

Glad to see it. Lakers has enough NBA Final appearances in the last decade, would be nice to see a different in the Finals from the West.

tiger_bait
    tiger_bait's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 11442

the nba did nothing to help the hornets here....but im not going off on a tangent....i have already used very foul language thoughout the night....nba owners are a bunch of whinny scared bit****

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

someone will fight it

seems illegal to veto a trade

nosniboR11
    fu
    nosniboR11's Avatar Become A Pro!

yes they should, do your own homework on the reason's

doublej95
    Co Power Poster 2011

Mark Cuban was one of the most vocal owners not in favor of the trade. What a puss.

warriorfan707
    SBR Poster of the Milennium
    warriorfan707's Avatar Become A Pro!

Absolutely they should. Fukk this crap.

Ace_of_Spades
    Golazo De Riverrrr!
    Ace_of_Spades's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 79

If they want a strong all round league then yes.

Ace_of_Spades
    Golazo De Riverrrr!
    Ace_of_Spades's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 79

Quote Originally Posted by doublej95 View Post
    Mark Cuban was one of the most vocal owners not in favor of the trade. What a puss.
    But he is right.

tiger_bait
    tiger_bait's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 11442

everyones right it will be much better for the 10,000season ticket holders of the hornets this season to know that paul walks to new york next year and get nothing in return

Bill Dozer
    @BillDozer110
    Bill Dozer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 21705

Quote Originally Posted by Ace_of_Spades View Post
    Don't you do that through rules of the CBA? Can someone explain on what grounds the NBA was able to do this?

doublej95
    Co Power Poster 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dozer View Post

Don't you do that through rules of the CBA? Can someone explain on what grounds the NBA was able to do this?

No real grounds or reasoning given other than some owners threw a fit over the trade. I think it's a huge conflict of interest that the NBA owns the Hornets and can have final say over the team.

jrmartin.mig
    jrmartin.mig's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 9124

I just want it to happen so Lebron has less of a chance of ever winning a championship

UNCGQ
    UNCGQ's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 905

They could have nixed it by not doing it in the first place.

Whiny small-market owners. It's not like he's going to leave NO for Milwaukee, etc. instead.

King Mayan
    STFU AND SQUAT PUTO
    King Mayan's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3679

No they don't.. Fukking assholes.

lemart5
    FOOTBALL TIME
    lemart5's Avatar Become A Pro!

This is bullshit Paul can only go to a big market team face it who has the money to get him?League is stupid.

moses millsap
    moses millsap's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1260

I like that they stepped in. The fact everybody thinks it was a good trade for the Hornets is laughable. On paper those guys might look good, but the ceiling with Scola, Odom, and Martin in the starting lineup is the #7 seed in the west.

gauchojake
    Have Some Asthma
    gauchojake's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 13164

Quote Originally Posted by frostno98 View Post
    Glad to see it. Lakers has enough NBA Final appearances in the last decade, would be nice to see a different in the Finals from the West.

Great reasoning. Punish successful teams.

Bill Dozer
    @BillDozer110

Quote Originally Posted by moses millsap View Post
    I like that they stepped in. The fact everybody thinks it was a good trade for the Hornets is laughable. On paper those guys might look good, but the ceiling with Scola, Odom, and Martin in the starting lineup is the #7 seed in the west.
    The guy has about 9 months on his contract and They could probably pick from about 3-4 teams, LA, LA, NY and Bos. Maybe they would approve it for Rondo or Bynam straight up?

8ArIvd5
    8ArIvd5's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1044

Hornets could have became a major contender down the road with those draft picks. Don't know who lost the picks, but if it was LA then make the trade.

gauchojake
    Have Some Asthma
    gauchojake's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 13164

Sounds to me like a bunch of whiny bitches don't want to lose to the Lakers again.

I'm sure Danny Ainge was crying like a bitch thinking that the Lakers punked him once again.

Leagues should never own teams.
    Points Awarded:

Bill Dozer gave gauchojake 1 SBR Point(s) for this post.

Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: William Walters

doublej95
    Co Power Poster 2011

Quote Originally Posted by gauchojake View Post
    Sounds to me like a bunch of whiny bitches don't want to lose to the Lakers again.

I'm sure Danny Ainge was crying like a bitch thinking that the Lakers punked him once again.

Leagues should never own teams.

Holtgetsback
    Holtgetsback's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1402

Quote Originally Posted by moses millsap View Post
    So they should just let him walk, get nothing and be one of the worst teams in the west??

Get the fukk out of here

TehSharp
    Sh*t Jeremy Lin says
    TehSharp's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 512

Have the owners voted on the new CBA yet? If they haven't I bet all of them were like, "we'll blow this up if this trade goes through and we are right back to lock out." I love it. What were the players just locked out for? This kind of crap. Maybe its just me, but I love it; mostly because I hate the Lakers.

Madison
    Madison's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 13521

Quote Originally Posted by Ace_of_Spades View Post
    Don't understand your point. He's leaving regardless. He's of no value in NO in his current state of mind. I'll be the most surprised person here if they ever get a deal with remotely close to the value they were getting here.

Madison
    Madison's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 13521

Quote Originally Posted by tiger_bait View Post
    everyones right it will be much better for the 10,000season ticket holders of the hornets this season to know that paul walks to new york next year and get nothing in return
    Exactly

Bill Dozer
    @BillDozer110

If the NBA is going to review Hornets trades at the last minute, how is any team going to work a deal with them in good faith. I can see them having a say in the trade but at the very last second when Lamar and Pau have hugged all their teammates good bye? This gaffe is up there with Lebron's "The Decision" IMO.

Goat Milk
    Goat Milk's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10176

Brusar confirmed that Bryant was waiting for Paul to arrive at the airport.

Just confirms what I said in another thread that all roster moves in LA go through Bryant

TexansFan
    TexansFan's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 211

They used the same explanation MLB does, "best interests of the league."

Bluehorseshoe
    Bluehorseshoe's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1551

Quote Originally Posted by Goat Milk View Post
    Brusar confirmed that Bryant was waiting for Paul to arrive at the airport.

Just confirms what I said in another thread that all roster moves in LA go through Bryant
    Because he was waiting at the airport?

What are you talking about Wilis?

TexansFan
    TexansFan's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 211

It's the NBA, it sucks, who cares. Football is king.

doublej95
    Co Power Poster 2011

If the NBA is going to review Hornets trades at the last minute, how is any team going to work a deal with them in good faith. I can see them having a say in the trade but at the very last second when Lamar and Pau have hugged all their teammates good bye? This gaffe is up there with Lebron's "The Decision" IMO.

At some point Stern must have liked the trade, as the owner of the Hornets the NBA and Stern had to know that New Orleans GM had worked out this trade. And the GM is not going to offer up a major trade with out Stern and NBA not knowing and signing off on it. It was not until other team owners whined about it that Stern nixed the deal. My point is why did Stern let it go so far if it was a bad deal to start with? He wouldn't have plain and simple, the NBA as the owners of the Hornets was a part of the trade the whole time and had no problems with it. This is not over yet, I believe legal action will be taken against the NBA on Paul's behalf.

kobstopa
    kobstopa's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3520

Let's face it, the trade generated hype & interests, the kind that this league needed, look at last year when Bron took off from Cleveland
    it may not good for the league but it's sell.

wantitall4moi
    wantitall4moi's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3834

this is why they should have shit canned the whole year, folded about a dozen teams and moved on. What 'star' is EVER going to want to be traded to a so called small market team? The only thing that makes these teams the least bit competitive is the make believe lottery and when they find an acorn like a blind squirrel. Then they have a very small window to build around that team.

I think that is what the NBA is hoping, sweet talking Paul into staying in new Orleans, sucking this year then fixing the lottery to get him a number 1 thru 3 pick. Which this draft might be OK. Then rather than having NO be a non factor for the rest of time they have Paul, a high draft pick and maybe entice some guys to go there instead of him leaving.

So in theory the NBA could say no small market players can leave those teams for big market teams and have to say and build a team around themselves. Sounds a little screwed up but that is looking like what theyre trying to do.

It is a fault on both side of the deal. Players who have way too much entitlement and rather than being happy to make millions of dollars to play a sport they go from being happy to be in the league to trying to dictate every little thing that happens to them. Good thing they arent in the NFL. Or even MLB for that matter.

The players learned absolutely nothing and still think the league makes money. I imagine 90% of them think the owners are lying when they claim they lose money year in and year out. SO they just take hat money for granted. Then they also dont understand why they HAVE to go to a 'big market' team to get the 'big' pay day. Basically they arent too bright.

Depending on how the CBA is worded and this whole big market versus small market is outlined the NBA, whether they own the team or not, will have some say. As will the owners. I thought they all voted on trades as it was. The new deal probably makes it even easier to kill deals like this.

Look no one wants to live in some of these towns to be sure. But if youre as good as you think you are then why leave and go join some other superstar(s), stay and build a team around yourself. In most cases these guys have been in a community for at least 4 years, Paul has been with them for 6 years. So he has to be a fixture in that community, and there are worse places than New Orleans to live. Sure it isnt LA, but it isnt Ok City or Milwaukee either.

Like I say I think they almost force him to stay this year, bribe him over the season and sucker an owner in there with the promise of a high draft pick and maybe get a couple mid level guys or even a semi decent free agent and voila you have a team that can contend.

Why do these guys have to leave? Bosh and Wade could have just as easily gone to Cleveland. But Miami is the new happening place and the lifestyle so they went there. Plus James isnt a leader and likes having the easy road of being called the man but having the built in excuse that its wade's team and wade has already won a ring, so it takes the pressure of James quite a bit.

But it is like every other thing that happens in the league. Elton brand left the Clippers when they were probably going to have a chance to be really good. But he is an idiot, and the Clippers, while in a 'big' market are still seen as small time, even with Blake Griffen. But imagine Griffen, Brand (not injured), Gordon, a motivated Kaman, and Baron Davis? But thats the Clippers I guess. But they still have 3/5s of that roster and they added a few other pieces. maybe not good enough yet, but if they could entice one of these big names in they could be instant contenders. But if the LA lakers cant get a guy, then how can the LA Clippers? They have less to trade and are in the same market.

But that is why I say the league is a mess. the only 'good' decisions are going to be subjective ones, whether youre a fan or not. There arent any really unbiased moves they can make or allow that some people wont be pised off about, and now that theyre actively denying trades it exposes them to criticisms.