DrStale
    DrStale's Avatar Become A Pro!

Celebration penalty costs high school team a title

http://espn.go.com/boston/story/_/id...ool-team-title

I love this line: "We try and play by the rules, and the rule is 'no celebrating,' " he said.

Seriously Scrooge? Somebody needs to get that guy laid, and pull the stick from his ass while they're at it.

nosniboR11
    fu
    nosniboR11's Avatar Become A Pro!

what happens when liberals take over things

DrStale

Yeah its clearly a political thing, despite the fact that youre well aware that im liberal and im the one blasting the guy.

d2bets
    d2bets's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 21617

Quote Originally Posted by nosniboR11 View Post
    what happens when liberals take over things
    Really? Thought someone would say it's the other way around. Wouldn't a liberal be more loose with the rules and allow more? Wouldn't strictly enforcing punitive rules and law&order be more of a conservative thing, if anything?

The liberal in me says the guy wasn't harming anyone and they should cut the kid a a break. The conservative in me says rules are rules and they should be literally and strictly enforced, regardless of result.

Optional
    Optional's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 9225

Quote Originally Posted by DrStale View Post
    http://espn.go.com/boston/story/_/id...ool-team-title

I love this line: "We try and play by the rules, and the rule is 'no celebrating,' " he said.

Seriously Scrooge? Somebody needs to get that guy laid, and pull the stick from his ass while they're at it.
    Do all the passionate athletes have to go play other sports in the US?

Does any other sport have a ridiculous rule like this one? Not that I know of. That's what they should be discussing. Why do officials think gridiron players are so brain dead they need etiquette stuff like this included in game rules??

Jericholic
    The Ayatollah of Rock 'N Rolla
    Jericholic's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8286

The worst part about it was that the "celebration" was just pumping his fist when he was breaking away. It wasn't like he was showing anybody up, who wouldn't be excited in that situation?? Such a crap call.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: ttwarrior1

nosniboR11
    fu
    nosniboR11's Avatar Become A Pro!

truth hurts

str
    Nothing's easy
    str's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 68471

Never would have been considered to have been done 30 years ago by the player.

He has watched too much NFL and it's a shame.
    Last edited by str; 12-07-11 at 02:09 PM.

DrStale

Quote Originally Posted by nosniboR11 View Post
    truth hurts
    Haha, typical ignorant comment. Someone refutes your stupid statement and rather than attempt to prove them wrong you respond with a meaningless phrase because you don't have the intellectual capacity to explain yourself. You're an embarrassment to real conservatives.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: Naz18

Optional

Quote Originally Posted by str View Post
    Never would have been considered to have been done 30 years ago by the player.

He has watched too much NFL and it's a shame.
    I'm a foreigner, so excuse any ignorance, but what exactly is offensive about celebrating a score?

99% of the time it's nothing to do with dissing the other team. I don't get what's so unsporting about it personally.

hels
    hels's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Optional View Post
    I'm a foreigner, so excuse any ignorance, but what exactly is offensive about celebrating a score? 99% of the time it's nothing to do with dissing the other team. I don't get what's so unsporting about it personally.
    Exactly. The kid was 2 seconds away from a touchdown.

However, in the high school and college football rulebooks it says that you can't do anything unnatural that may be deemed taunting or 'shoving it in your opponents faces.' By the rules the referee is justified in his decision as this simple fist pump could be considered taunting the opponent.

I do not agree with the rule because that sucks big time. However, he broke it.

DiggityDaggityDo
    DiggityDaggityDo's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 32174

Rules are rules. I bet he learns his lesson and does not do that again.

str
    Nothing's easy
    str's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 68471

Quote Originally Posted by Optional View Post
    I'm a foreigner, so excuse any ignorance, but what exactly is offensive about celebrating a score?

99% of the time it's nothing to do with dissing the other team. I don't get what's so unsporting about it personally.
    It's not the celebrating after the score. It is showing up the opposition DURING the act or what might be perceived to be such. It would have been fine to have some team mates hug him or high five'd in the end zone and within reason , but.... not do some scripted crap where they play act out a scene of some sort.
    It keeps growing and growing until it gets out of hand. As a result , various levels of sports are cracking down on this taunting, and what is deemed excessive celebration. This did not happen 30+ years ago and many feel the need to try and reel it back in somewhat. Thus, the penalty.
    As I said, it's just a shame for this kid but I will bet that when his coach saw it while the player was running, he wanted to puke . It was not a surprise at all to him. It could not have been. It's the rules.
    Hope that helps.
    Last edited by str; 12-07-11 at 04:16 PM.

Bcatswin
    Bcats Winning Everywhere
    Bcatswin's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5350

Was not that bad, its simple the ref had the other side

Optional

Quote Originally Posted by str View Post
    It's not the celebrating after the score. It is showing up the opposition DURING the act or what might be perceived to be such. It would have been fine to have some team mates hug him or high five'd in the end zone and within reason , but.... not do some scripted crap where they play act out a scene of some sort.
    It keeps growing and growing until it gets out of hand. As a result , various levels of sports are cracking down on this taunting, and what is deemed excessive celebration. This did not happen 30+ years ago and many feel the need to try and reel it back in somewhat. Thus, the penalty.
    As I said, it's just a shame for this kid but I will bet that when his coach saw it while the player was running, he wanted to puck . It was not a surprise at all to him. It could not have been. It's the rules.
    Hope that helps.
    Yes rules are rules. I see why the penalty.

And I guess I get what you're saying about the reasoning for the rule, although I'm having trouble imagining what players must have been doing on the way to a score that was so offensive this rule was ever needed.

I've seen Rugby League players stuff up a score by show boating a few times, and it's classic television every time.

BEANTOWNJIM
    I GRIN WHEN I WIN
    BEANTOWNJIM's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1358

BOYS I JUST DROVE BY THIS SCHOOL TODAY ON MY WAY TO THE CHINATOWN YMCA AND ITS ONLY A MATTER OF TIME BEFORE THIS BECOMES A RACIAL INCIDENT.THE BOY WHO SCORED WAS BLACK PLAYING FOR CATHEDRAL HIGH SCHOOL AN ALMOST ALL BLACK SCHOOL.THEY WERE PLAYING A WHITE SCHOOL BLUE HILLS THE MOTHER OF THE KID WHO RAISED HIS HANDS IS VERY OUTSPOKEN AND IS BLACK AS THE ACE OF SPADES SO STAY TUNED FELLAS ITS ONLY A MATTER OF TIME BEFORE THIS IS A RACIST ACT BY THE REFS.IT HAS BEEN ALL OVER THE LOCAL BOSTON NEWS STATIONS

REMEMBER FELLAS YOU HEARD IT HERE FIRST THIS WILL BECOME A RACIAL INCIDENT

wtf
    wtf's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 61

Quote Originally Posted by BEANTOWNJIM View Post
    BOYS I JUST DROVE BY THIS SCHOOL TODAY ON MY WAY TO THE CHINATOWN YMCA AND ITS ONLY A MATTER OF TIME BEFORE THIS BECOMES A RACIAL INCIDENT.THE BOY WHO SCORED WAS BLACK PLAYING FOR CATHEDRAL HIGH SCHOOL AN ALMOST ALL BLACK SCHOOL.THEY WERE PLAYING A WHITE SCHOOL BLUE HILLS THE MOTHER OF THE KID WHO RAISED HIS HANDS IS VERY OUTSPOKEN AND IS BLACK AS THE ACE OF SPADES SO STAY TUNED FELLAS ITS ONLY A MATTER OF TIME BEFORE THIS IS A RACIST ACT BY THE REFS.IT HAS BEEN ALL OVER THE LOCAL BOSTON NEWS STATIONS

REMEMBER FELLAS YOU HEARD IT HERE FIRST THIS WILL BECOME A RACIAL INCIDENT
    probably the ONLY reason the press picked it up

Maverick22
    Maverick22's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 58

i dont like when ref's take games into their own hands. this is bull shit.

let the kids play. flag the REAL penalties

Bcatswin
    Bcats Winning Everywhere
    Bcatswin's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5350

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick22 View Post
    i dont like when ref's take games into their own hands. this is bull shit.

let the kids play. flag the REAL penalties

JR007
    JR007's Avatar Become A Pro!

I am from the area, and saw the whole thing on the news, .......the captains and the coaches were briefed on this before gametime,

thought it excessive, but they were warned