The Seer
    The Seer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7617

Hilton oddsmaker: Oklahoma State would have been DD dog against LSU

and I would have laid the points

Hilton oddsmaker: Oklahoma State would have been double-digit dog against LSU
    by BEYONDTHEBETS on DECEMBER 5, 2011

It’s early December, so now’s the time of year that college football fans set aside to argue about a BCS system that’s clearly flawed, even though we’ve known that for years but it hasn’t changed anything.

Proponents of the BCS always bring up the same thought: It’s designed to pit the country’s two best teams against each other.

Well, duh.

The problem, of course, is that we’ll never know for sure who the two best teams are without a playoff. Until then, we can only debate.

But if the goal is to match up the country’s two best teams, Vegas oddsmakers agree with the selection of LSU and Alabama.

Hilton SuperBook director Jay Kornegay told the Las Vegas Sun that Oklahoma State would have opened around a 10-point underdog against LSU. I personally thought the line would be closer to a touchdown, but considering how the Tigers dismantled the high-powered passing offenses of Oregon, West Virginia and Arkansas, a double-digit spread makes a lot of sense.

Alabama, of course, is currently a pick ‘em against LSU after opening as 2.5-point underdogs, meaning Vegas thinks the Crimson Tide are significantly better than the Cowboys, even though Kornegay admitted he would’ve rather seen the Pokes get a chance.

From the story:

“Personally, I thought it would have been a little more intriguing with Oklahoma State in there,” Kornegay said Sunday night. “I just thought it would have been something different. But I’ve asked a lot of people over this last week or so, and there’s a split. People think the two best teams should play in the national championship. I can’t argue with that.”

Kornegay also said he still believes the Crimson Tide are a slightly better team than LSU and would’ve set the line at Alabama -1 “if there wasn’t another book in the world.”

So, we know where Vegas stands. And it’s not much of a surprise. The only problem is we’ll never know how Oklahoma State would’ve performed as a double-digit underdog.

Related posts

dfberger23
    dfberger23's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 406

Yup, LSU would beat Okie State by at least 14, probably more.

zsr
    zsr's Avatar Become A Pro!

Would of been a blowout, something the ok state homers clearly don't realize.

InTheDrink
    Drinker of the Year
    InTheDrink's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 527

Quote Originally Posted by zsr View Post
    Would of been a blowout, something the ok state homers clearly don't realize.
    It's actually embarrassing they even argue.

Osu gave up over 30 pts 4 times this year and over 26 3 more times. Sounds like a title contender to me

FourLengthsClear
    King of the Idiots
    FourLengthsClear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 508

+10 would be the fair line in my book.

k13
    k13's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1800

I don't think so.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

LSU kills everyone except Bama

I could be making major play on Bama in final game

Boscoe
    Boscoe's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 488

no doubt. people say lsu/bama part 2 will be boring but watching lsu obliterate an overrated pac 12 team would have been much worse.

The Seer

It would have been much worse than the OKL-FL Nat Ch game. THat Okl team set a record for scoring and this LSU defense is 10 times better than that FL one. People forget special teams and defense can score touchdowns too. I bet OK St would have turned it over at least 5 times giving LSU easy field position on top or defensive touchdowns.

The Seer

Quote Originally Posted by jjgold View Post
    LSU kills everyone except Bama
    A power running game is the only chance against LSU

rm18
    Update your status
    rm18's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 207814

No chance they would be a double digit favorite, line would get knocked way down from there

BettingWizard
    BettingWizard's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 102

and sharps would have pounded it to 7

books saved some money

itchypickle
    Dan Bilzerian's gunsmith
    itchypickle's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5620

I would give 14 and take the Tigers over OK State all day long. It's one thing to look at the numbers on paper but if you actually watch the games...LSU would humiliate them. The talent/depth/speed that LSU has is above anything they would see. Everyone remember Oregon's coach in the presser after the Oregon O was held in check? Kelly said "LSU just fields a different kind of athlete than we are use to". Blackmon will be a great receiver in the NFL for sure...but outside of him...State would have no playmakers against not only #7 buy Reid and the others...that LSU front would be in the backfield blowing up Weeden and even if he did spread the ball around LSU has the speed to run them down all game long...something the Big 12 lacks is the guys who can cut those 60 yard plays down to 8 yards etc.

And dare we even go on the other side of the ball? The 107th ranked D in the country for State trying to stop Ware and Hilliard alone? Get outta here.

zsr
    zsr's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by BettingWizard View Post
    and sharps would have pounded it to 7

books saved some money
    Sharps would have pounded it to 14.

InTheDrink
    Drinker of the Year
    InTheDrink's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 527

Quote Originally Posted by The Seer View Post
    It would have been much worse than the OKL-FL Nat Ch game. THat Okl team set a record for scoring and this LSU defense is 10 times better than that FL one. People forget special teams and defense can score touchdowns too. I bet OK St would have turned it over at least 5 times giving LSU easy field position on top or defensive touchdowns.
    I was thinking more along the lines of Georgia/Hawaii when Brennan was there. If that ok st team played that ou team they'd have lost.

Sam Odom
    Sam Odom's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 37

Quote Originally Posted by jjgold View Post

I could be making major play on Bama in final game

FindTheLock
    FindTheLock's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 191

that line should be 15 because LSU would win by AT LEAST 2 TD's

ebbearsfb1
    ebbearsfb1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1694

could make it plus 21 give me lsu

that secondary would take blackmon out of play... and the lines wouldnt be good enough to stop lsu front 77

rm18
    Update your status

Ok. St +10 might not even be a good bet but based on previous spreads of the teams all year and a huge game by LSU last weekend it would not be close to DD.

Holtgetsback
    Holtgetsback's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1402

i wouldn't play oklahoma state at +24

Jonah
    Jonah's Avatar Become A Pro!

10 times, huh?

Demarco Murray was out.
    Ginn was out
    Colt McCoy got hurt v Bama. Texas would have rolled. Ck my other posts, I hate Texas.

These teams desperately need their stars believe it or not.

Ok State would have spent a ton of time working on special teams, because they would not have had to worry about the things Jordan Jefferson can do.

The Seer

Quote Originally Posted by Jonah View Post

10 times, huh?

Demarco Murray was out.
    Ginn was out
    Colt McCoy got hurt v Bama. Texas would have rolled. Ck my other posts, I hate Texas.

These teams desperately need their stars believe it or not.

Ok State would have spent a ton of time working on special teams, because they would not have had to worry about the things Jordan Jefferson can do.
    you are on crack if you don't think a defense ranked over 100th would have to worry about anything. What was Oregon's excuse?

Sam Odom
    Sam Odom's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 37

Last week off the top of my head I said -17

rm18
    Update your status

you are on crack if you don't think a defense ranked over 100th would have to worry about anything. What was Oregon's excuse?
    Oregon most due to a bad call Auburn's rb fumbled

Jonah

Kind of a agree, kind of don't.

I love this LSU team and don't think much of Ok State.

That being said, there was way too much subjectivity in all this. The objective computers like Ok State, subjective voters liked Bama period.

Maybe if there was a equation to put how many top recruits, or how many NFL prospects in the system, than the computer would have liked them more. Or better yet, if you could punch in their pre season rank.

Everyone kept saying Bama is definitely the number two country? Why? For the aforementioned reasons? Because they beat Penn State and a bunch of div 3 teams and SEC bottom feeders? The most impressive thing on their resume is a close loss to LSU.

If the NCAA selection committee had overlooked strength of schedule and quality wins in choosing one team over another like we saw here with Bama over Ok state, Dick Vitale and others would have had a field day.

I am well aware of the talent on Bama's team, but that alone does not mean they deserve or entitled to all of this. So much that I am hearing is ridiculous.
    Last edited by Jonah; 12-05-11 at 09:54 PM.

k13

I saw this line earlier somewhere and it was -7

Jonah

98 yards passing No rushing yards til garbage time. A true Freshmen fumbled that game away.

You are an SEC homer and I am not. Plain and simple.

k13

These are the same people who were saying Packers should be at least -10 vs Giants

Same people who had a hundred threads why Atlanta is only -1...

The Seer

Jonah, For the record, I don't think they are entitled either. In this system, not because of OK ST but because I don't think it was fair to LSU. Asking them to basically give Bama a playoff to beat them at home and at a neutral site and not even to have to play the extra conference CH game is not the fair thing. Fair way to give it to OK St but I do agree we have the two best teams and it is the BCS system that we have to live with. The arguments against a playoff are an insult to our intelligence. There's no excuse not to have a 4 team playoff every year.

The Seer

98 yards passing No rushing yards til garbage time. A true Freshmen fumbled that game away.

So you are saying 5 championships in a row was because of fluke things happening

I give up, I cannot argue with this kind of logic

FindTheLock
    FindTheLock's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 191

but when do the excuses run out? LSU was playing a BACKUP QB and were winning by 20 until garbage time! I mean you have to hold the team accountable for recruiting a kid who fumbles the ball at some point right?? Did it ever occur to you that the ball was stripped? Have you seen LSU strip the ball out of any other ball carriers since that game? When do the excuses run into the reality check??

ebbearsfb1
    ebbearsfb1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1694

the arguement for a non playoff use to be it would take too much time...and they are student athletes

um cause when ncaa hoops goes to maui or alaska or ncaa touranment those kids are missing weeks at a time

Jonah

So you are saying 5 championships in a row was because of fluke things happening
    I would say the answers to a lot of these things are nuanced. I would say that the SEC is the best conference, but people are overdoing it and leading them to terrible conclusions like Miss State, Florida or South Carolina w/o Latimore are any good.

I would say that the SEC should have had another chance to show the world how much better they are than everyone else by beating Ok State ( who they are much better than) rather than give that buffoon Nick Saban his dream situation.

He was very uncomfortable when they were the slightest of favorites over Texas. Now he will have weeks and weeks to tell his players that "you don't get second chances in life often, Men" and show them pictures of LSU holding up their "we're number one fingers" He will have his guys unbelievably ready to go and
    this is unfair to LSU.

By the same token, you would be foolish to lay a bunch of points if Ok State was there, because why would you want to go against the "us versus the world" that Gundy will have drilled in his players heads, namely that defense.

Jonah

Quote Originally Posted by ebbearsfb1 View Post
    the arguement for a non playoff use to be it would take too much time...and they are student athletes

um cause when ncaa hoops goes to maui or alaska or ncaa touranment those kids are missing weeks at a time
    yeah this is what I was saying in another thread.

Jonah

Quote Originally Posted by FindTheLock View Post
    but when do the excuses run out? LSU was playing a BACKUP QB and were winning by 20 until garbage time! I mean you have to hold the team accountable for recruiting a kid who fumbles the ball at some point right?? Did it ever occur to you that the ball was stripped? Have you seen LSU strip the ball out of any other ball carriers since that game? When do the excuses run into the reality check??
    Not a bad point, although I think it was a muff... Jarrett Lee might be better than Jefferson. At the very least, it is close. Not like JJ is some sort of stud or anything.

12 Last