FuzzyDunlop
    Poster of the Month October 2015
    FuzzyDunlop's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 61

The Epic Adam Carolla Occupy Wall Street Rant

brooks85
    brooks85's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6881

lol we are getting the first wave of these douchebags now??

haha i wish, i love carolla but he better look up what a "liberal" is and what unions actually accomplish.

CarpeDime
    CarpeDime's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1005

From what I can tell the OWS people aren't against rich people per se and definitely not "against capitalism", and they are only tangentially concerned with tax rates. It seems to me they are primarily concerned with Wall St free-rolling taxpayers via the Fed and the structure of financial institutions, as well as corporations that profit from monopolies, from evading laws, and from doing other things that may not be technically illegal due to political influence, but probably should be.

So yeah some or many of them are smelly, are hippies, are in college, live with their parents, are pierced, are annoying, care more about personally getting laid than they care about not getting collectively free-rolled, are not 100% aware of how financial and political institutions work, etc etc etc etc etc etc

but the issues they seem to be concerned with are important

iifold
    Update your status
    iifold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1774

Carper,

You talk a good game...

You're probably gettin blown by Iwins chick right now, playing with the candy, and texting SBRJudie... All at the same time!!

Get off your soapbox Pal...

The occupy wall street movement just proves we have too many people on this planet, and that we need more wars...

Ian
    Tank Man Lives
    Ian's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 33438

I didn't listen to the whole thing, so maybe it got substantially more substantive during the last few minutes, but all I heard was a straw man argument. Carolla is ranting about participation trophies and trying to apply his negative thoughts about that to something totally different. Participation trophies have nothing to do with the issues the occupy movement is addressing, like: corporate personhood, nationalizing the federal reserve, reducing military spending, etc.

This clip will appeal to those who have always been against the Occupy movement from the start, but everyone else will dismiss it for what it is, a straw-man.

excel
    unapproved
    excel's Avatar Become A Pro!

I guess it's easy to talk about other people and how they should suck it up and work harder when your job is making people laugh. Let his ass work in a factory 60 hours a week making 10 dollars a hour and see if he still feels the same. His father was a doctor(psychologist) so you can imagine how hard his childhood was. Reading his bio I get the impression he is one of the over privileged ass douches he is talking about.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: mrmarket

brooks85

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    I didn't listen to the whole thing, so maybe it got substantially more substantive during the last few minutes, but all I heard was a straw man argument. Carolla is ranting about participation trophies and trying to apply his negative thoughts about that to something totally different. Participation trophies have nothing to do with the issues the occupy movement is addressing, like: corporate personhood, nationalizing the federal reserve, reducing military spending, etc.

This clip will appeal to those who have always been against the Occupy movement from the start, but everyone else will dismiss it for what it is, a straw-man.

i agree with ya and if the kids were marching in washington and protesting congress from the beginning they wouldn't have had this image problem.

t-wizzle
    t-wizzle's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2191

Carolla fukking nailed it.

KingJD31
    KingJD31's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7042

just nuke them

ACoochy
    Am i serious? Are you serious?
    ACoochy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5324

Quote Originally Posted by brooks85 View Post
    i agree with ya and if the kids were marching in washington and protesting congress from the beginning they wouldn't have had this image problem.
    Yes they wouldve...They're going up against the Corporate Media. You really think the masses will hear a voice that isnt that of what the Corporation wants, regardless of what the real message was to begin with??
    Brooksy, its called critical thought pal. Something the media is scared away from...

brooks85

Quote Originally Posted by ACoochy View Post
    Yes they wouldve...They're going up against the Corporate Media. You really think the masses will hear a voice that isnt that of what the Corporation wants, regardless of what the real message was to begin with??
    Brooksy, its called critical thought pal. Something the media is scared away from...

exactly, you make one mistake you are done, especially with no leader.

Their one and major mistake, mainly because it made no fuking sense, was marching against big business. The media needs gas to fuel the flame...

muldoon
    muldoon's Avatar Become A Pro!

Some people call their representatives and want stronger laws against drug dealers, some people videotape the crack dealers in their neighborhoods and get the ball rolling faster.

Some people protest outside the offices where flat out billions were and are being stolen, some people disrupt town hall meetings or flood the office of their rep with faxes or phone calls where they read scripts.

It may be pushing a rock up a hill, but at least the Tea Party and the OWS people got off the couch, and in some cases, risked getting arrested because they wanted to at least feel like they had a voice.

brooks85

i agree but my point is only a fool would think big business is the problem in this country.

So when a group of people gathered outside wall st, its not hard to make them look like a bunch of first year college kids because the "1%" is not the problem. Thinking you can "tax the rich" is hilarious, you could take every single dollar they make it and still wouldn't be enough and that is a fact. It wouldn't even put a dent into our problems.
    Last edited by brooks85; 12-01-11 at 03:17 PM.

brooks85

and also what is their name..

OWS

that is OCCUPY WALL STREET

one more time, WALL STREET??

last i checked wall street is NY, the problem is in DC.

if a kid(business) goes up to an adult(congress) and uses him to buy alcohol(invest in solyndra), who is at fault here?

muldoon

i agree but my point is only a fool would think big business is the problem in this country. .
    Big business where there are no consequences to behave like Enron, AIG and others aren't a problem?

"Too Big To Fail" - that term should scare the ******* pants off people. If the government had let AIG just fail, do you realize that 1/3 life insurance policies, annuities and pension plans were guaranteed by AIG would have gone byebye? How many lives were ruined by Enron because any oversight was "government interference" and were told the market would take care of it. The market that paid off bond ratings groups and investment banks. These are the checks we as lowly investors are supposed to trust in?

No single business should be allowed to operate without being broken up or strict oversight if they can single handedly bring down the economy of the country - period.

brooks85

Quote Originally Posted by muldoon View Post
    Big business where there are no consequences to behave like Enron, AIG and others aren't a problem?

"Too Big To Fail" - that term should scare the ******* pants off people. If the government had let AIG just fail, do you realize that 1/3 life insurance policies, annuities and pension plans were guaranteed by AIG?

No single business should be allowed to operate without being broken up or strict oversight if they can single handedly bring down the economy of the country - period.

again, i agree but you are missing the freaking point.

WHO IS AT FAULT HERE?

think of it as a math problem, who is the common denominator every time? Who made the ridiculous decision to bail out the "big 3" and (pfizer, which was swept under the rug after they got caught selling a banned pill they renamed?)

Jonah
    Jonah's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by iifold View Post
    Carper,

You talk a good game...

You're probably gettin blown by Iwins chick right now, playing with the candy, and texting SBRJudie... All at the same time!!

Get off your soapbox Pal...

The occupy wall street movement just proves we have too many people on this planet, and that we need more wars...
    Depopulation is and will be a serious problem. I hope you live to see it.

muldoon

WHO IS AT FAULT HERE?

think of it as a math problem, who is the common denominator every time?
    Are you asking who is to blame when someone finds a loophole? The lawmaker, or the person who exploits the loophole?

That's like saying the guy who chemically alters the molecules in meth to make it "not illegal" has no fault when people OD and die. Or that the company who lent out billions to low income people and bundled and resold the mortgages have no fault.

Maybe you feel different. I don't.

brooks85

are you really blaming the big 3 for trying to stay in business?

That would be like blaming a snake for hunting. You don't blame nature, you blame the people subverting nature, not letting a company that is flawed by its own spending, die.

"congress" is who you need to focus on.

KingJD31
    KingJD31's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7042

he said it spot on "self entitled" these clowns born with golden spoons in there mouth meanwhile the people who make a good living busted there ass to get where they are...........and im no rich by any means but carolla is my idol

muldoon

WHO IS AT FAULT HERE?

think of it as a math problem, who is the common denominator every time? Who made the ridiculous decision to bail out the "big 3" and (pfizer, which was swept under the rug after they got caught selling a banned pill they renamed?)

You're making it sound like there is only room for fault on one side of the economic equation.

One of the many things OWS is protesting is lobbying and influence by lobbyists - corporate money.

So while the buck may stop with the lawmaker, how does one actually change the system?

Like I said in my original point, I don't fault either the Tea Party or the OWS people for being pissed. In the end, not much may change, but at least the dialogue has.

brooks85

well actually unions ruined the big 3 mainly but the upper level spending was ridiculous, either way no company is too big to fail and guesss who decided against that?

DwightShrute
    I don't believe you ... please continue
    DwightShrute's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 8480

100% agreed , I have been saying this for a long time now

brooks85

You're making it sound like there is only room for fault on one side of the economic equation.

One of the many things OWS is protesting is lobbying and influence by lobbyists - corporate money.

So while the buck may stop with the lawmaker, how does one actually change the system?

Like I said in my original point, I don't fault either the Tea Party or the OWS people for being pissed. In the end, not much may change, but at least the dialogue has.

lets try this.

Who allows this to happen in the first place?

muldoon

lets try this.

Who allows this to happen in the first place?
    Everyone who votes in the same people every election - that's who.

People like Chris Dodd, John McCain, Harry Reid, John Boehner etc - these people should be in jail. Yet the voters kept sending them back.

brooks85

Everyone who votes in the same people year after year - that's who.

lol well you definitely got me there, that is the real root of the problem.

brooks85

sooner or later WE have to accept some responsibility for our own actions...

Even when it comes to the collapse, banks might have hanged pretty loans in front of people's face but no one made them sign it. And the ones who signed balloon mortgages, fuk them. How should that be my problem because they didn't read?

iifold
    Update your status

Funny how the country collapses as soccer becomes more popular...

muldoon

lol well you definitely got me there, that is the real root of the problem.
    It's tough though right? I try to see both both sides - but that in itself might be flawed. Maybe there are more than 2 sides?

One only needs to watch the Enron Documentary (smartest guys in the room) or Inside Job to realize that it's going to take things like OWS or Tea Party movements to at least start pushing the rock up the hill once more.

brooks85

Quote Originally Posted by iifold View Post
    Funny how the country collapses as soccer becomes more popular...
    the height of people flopping like girls are reached its maximum

iifold
    Update your status

-5500 Muldoon a soccer fan...

Guy is oblivious...

muldoon

Even when it comes to the collapse, banks might have hanged pretty loans in front of people's face but no one made them sign it. And the ones who signed balloon mortgages, fuk them. How should that be my problem because they didn't read?
    Same rules for the big banks then. No one told them to lend to losers, yet why did we bail out the banks?

Yet tax dollars bailed them out.

Yet people have no problems with someone packaging up shitty loans, grabbing 50 or 100 million as a bonus, then running away as fast as they could before it blew up?

People can't pay their mortgage, they give the house back to the bank. Plain and simple.

Banks can't pay for their shitty investments, they pay themselves bonuses and give the investments to the taxpayer.

Only the dumb taco bell worker who signed the 80 page mortgage is to blame?

brooks85

It's tough though right? I try to see both both sides - but that in itself might be flawed. Maybe there are more than 2 sides?

One only needs to watch the Enron Documentary (smartest guys in the room) or Inside Job to realize that it's going to take things like OWS or Tea Party movements to at least start pushing the rock up the hill once more.

Ya i agree, thats why i wish they would have went to congress and I also think a leader figure/house is necessary. IMO a movement like this is great but as you said the media has got them now. A lot of them are saying the right things now but when this movement first started, all the media had to do was find the dumb kids and put them on tv. If they had a leader who could have told them to kept their mouth shut i think it would have helped big time.

opie1988
    I have a MAJOR fukkin clue..
    opie1988's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1012

Quote Originally Posted by CarpeDime View Post
    From what I can tell the OWS people aren't against rich people per se and definitely not "against capitalism", and they are only tangentially concerned with tax rates. It seems to me they are primarily concerned with Wall St free-rolling taxpayers via the Fed and the structure of financial institutions, as well as corporations that profit from monopolies, from evading laws, and from doing other things that may not be technically illegal due to political influence, but probably should be.
    So yeah some or many of them are smelly, are hippies, are in college, live with their parents, are pierced, are annoying, care more about personally getting laid than they care about not getting collectively free-rolled, are not 100% aware of how financial and political institutions work, etc etc etc etc etc etc
    but the issues they seem to be concerned with are important
    PISS OFF, HIPPIE.

SBR
    Poster of
    Year 2011

muldoon

Ya i agree, thats why i wish they would have went to congress and I also think a leader figure/house is necessary. IMO a movement like this is great but as you said the media has got them now. A lot of them are saying the right things now but when this movement first started, all the media had to do was find the dumb kids and put them on tv. If they had a leader who could have told them to kept their mouth shut i think it would have helped big time.
    Tough to marginalize though with no set leader. Why do you think guys like Dick Army or the Koch Brothers (who funded a lot of the Tea Party events) stayed the hell away? Because when you have a face, you have a person. When you have a person, you have background checking. Everyone has skeletons, and that's how the movement gets defined by those opposed to it.

12 Last