Emily_Haines
    Emily_Haines's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15296

If you were a bookie and had a player down 6X his annual salary

Would you cut him off or continue to let him play?

UntilTheNDofTimE
    I thought i told you that we dont stop
    UntilTheNDofTimE's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 151

No clue but id figure as long as hes making Payments of 2% of the balance hed let him continue betting. Doubt any bookie would let someone go 100k in the red . Does this person kake 5K a year?

downsouth
    Bobbywaves is a stiff
    downsouth's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 25117

My guess would be no matter what you do your not getting paid.

daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY
    daneblazer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5652

I worked for a book years ago. You're going to have to set him up on a payment plan and continue to let him play. If you cut him off, it's going to be tough to get your money.

stevenash
    stevenash's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 32231

Quote Originally Posted by daneblazer View Post
    I worked for a book years ago. You're going to have to set him up on a payment plan and continue to let him play. If you cut him off, it's going to be tough to get your money.
    This.
    Lower is limits, let him play.

ouman101
    ouman101's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 749

why would they be allowed to get that big in the hole in the first place? Isn't there usually a set "settle" amount?

cankid
    cankid's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10316

too much credit given, isnt good business

tarheelfan72
    tarheelfan72's Avatar Become A Pro!

Accept you will never get all your money and let him play as long as he is making payments. You have him right where you want him, making payments to you the rest of his natural life with little chance you will ever have to pay him anything. Dude has basically no chance to get even but if you cut his limits he may feel even less chance and find another book. Keep the revenue stream on the loser as long as possible.

Ralphie1412
    You Come at the King You Best Not Miss
    Ralphie1412's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1209

Why would u give someone credit that equals six times their salary?

And people say to keep letting him bet?

Grits n' Gravy
    Bigdaddyqh diddles kids
    Grits n' Gravy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 41120

Any bookie that is dumb enough to let someone get in that deep will be out of business real quick. Only way you get any of it back is to hawk all his possessions and empty his bank and retirement counts.

FourLengthsClear
    King of the Idiots
    FourLengthsClear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 508

Come on folks. Look who the OP is.

The "player" here is a country* and the "bookie" refers to buyers of bonds and issuers of loans!

* You don't get three guesses!

Emily_Haines

I actually posted this because our debt as a nation is 15 trillion, which is 6 times more than we take in taxes. We all know that this money can never be paid back much like a player being down 6X his annual salary. I see many responses that say you keep letting the player play and try to get a payment plan set up. Much in the same way other nations continue to extend credit to us.

Emily_Haines

Quote Originally Posted by FourLengthsClear View Post

The "player" here is a country* and the "bookie" refers to buyers of bonds and issuers of loans!

spot on as usual fourlengths

Grits n' Gravy
    Bigdaddyqh diddles kids
    Grits n' Gravy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 41120

Quote Originally Posted by FourLengthsClear View Post

I get it now. Well since the US is never going to pay China back and they need our business the answer is keep it going. Factor in the op being a retard who keeps insisting the world will end soon financial questions should be moot to them.

3PtShooter
    3PtShooter's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 16173

happens to all bookies,,,payment - broken head - no win situation for the player

big joe 1212
    big joe 1212's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5365

If they owe so much that they can never pay it all off, let them keep playing at low limits and give them a 10% bonus for each payment they make. This will make them feel that they can overcome it one day but in reality, they never will.

dante1
    dante1's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 392

Quote Originally Posted by Emily_Haines View Post
    I actually posted this because our debt as a nation is 15 trillion, which is 6 times more than we take in taxes. We all know that this money can never be paid back much like a player being down 6X his annual salary. I see many responses that say you keep letting the player play and try to get a payment plan set up. Much in the same way other nations continue to extend credit to us.

These two scenarios are not comparable. Yes, they make for a good story but they don't relate at all. The bookie, the real bookie has alternatives he can take without any of them causing financial ruin. He can cut off the player completely because in reality he probably beat him for tons already and doesn't really lose anything, He can put him on a payment plan and regain even more or any other possibility you can think of. However, China or whatever country cannot do much because hurting the US in an financial way will come back and hurt them just as much probably more.

All countries are interdependent on each other, a bookie does not need one individual player

FourLengthsClear
    King of the Idiots
    FourLengthsClear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 508

Quote Originally Posted by dante1 View Post
    These two scenarios are not comparable. Yes, they make for a good story but they don't relate at all. The bookie, the real bookie has alternatives he can take without any of them causing financial ruin. He can cut off the player completely because in reality he probably beat him for tons already and doesn't really lose anything, He can put him on a payment plan and regain even more or any other possibility you can think of. However, China or whatever country cannot do much because hurting the US in an financial way will come back and hurt them just as much probably more.

All countries are interdependent on each other, a bookie does not need one individual player
    That is certainly true but it is an issue of moral hazard. For the last decade, the US fiscal position has continued to gradually worsen. During that time, yields on 10-year and 30-year bonds have barely changed. Much of that can be put down to Japan and Europe being in an equally deep hole but continuing to bid new debt at a 3% yield gives the US little incentive to reduce its budget deficit.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: Grits n' Gravy

Ninersnut
    Money talks and bullshit runs marathons
    Ninersnut's Avatar Become A Pro!

Thank god I thought for a second that Emily wasn't going to push any anti-American bullshit today. Good thing the Feds monitor the internet. Keep up the good work.