lemart5
    FOOTBALL TIME
    lemart5's Avatar Become A Pro!

Added about 3400 shares of COP to my personal portfolio today .I like the buyback news and all the new capacity coming online with the shale and oilsands coming online.

SBR_John
    Wisky
    SBR_John's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 42225

JPM now $34 on the way to book value of $50.

sideloaded
    staring into the abyss
    sideloaded's Avatar Become A Pro!

I advise an aggressive short-term strategy

MonkeyF0cker
    Update your status
    MonkeyF0cker's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1127

Quote Originally Posted by SBR_John View Post
    JPM now $34 on the way to book value of $50.
    Oops.

MonkeyF0cker
    Update your status
    MonkeyF0cker's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1127

No idea why you're obsessed with JPM, John. Just a matter of time before their books start reflecting more horrific investments in Euro debt (hopefully not at the cost of the taxpayer this time).

sideloaded
    staring into the abyss

guitarjosh
    guitarjosh's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9424

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyF0cker View Post
    No idea why you're obsessed with JPM, John. Just a matter of time before their books start reflecting more horrific investments in Euro debt (hopefully not at the cost of the taxpayer this time).
    I completely agree. JPM has been a mess for years, but the government will bail them out as long as they handle Medicare.

sideloaded
    staring into the abyss

My citigroup trades bit me in the ass today

sideloaded
    staring into the abyss

Is the price target still 50 on JPM?

jarvol
    jarvol's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3670

Quote Originally Posted by lemart5 View Post
    Added about 3400 shares of COP to my personal portfolio today .I like the buyback news and all the new capacity coming online with the shale and oilsands coming online.
    Nothing like you recommending another air investment at its short term top.
    Closed at 72.82 at the 5th and 68.29 today.

All you boys gotta do is respect the technicals. Once the S&P failed to break above its 200 day MA last week it has been an easy 45 point short. Or you could try to catch falling knives on these shitty banks like John and keep averaging down until you are broke.

sideloaded
    staring into the abyss

lemart missed that trade but he has hit a few also.

Deep_Rest
    Deep_Rest's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10319

It's a day-traders market right now and I wouldn't recommend inexperienced investors jump in at this point. The market is too volatile for short-term investors (few months to a couple years). Until Europe and the U.S. make some concrete solutions to their debt issues (for better or worse), stay away short-term investors!

Technicals aside, I think the only cheap companies right now are the ones that have virtual monopolies (or mkt cap of over 100B) over their given sector and have been pushed down because of the broader market. Put your money in a nice dividend-growth stock with a huge market share for 20 years and you'll be happy. Guys like Petro Brasileiro (Petrobras, PBR) which has a virtual monopoly in Brazil, Waste Management (WM), a dividend growth stock which has a duopoly with Republic Services in waste disposal and energy, and even McDonald's (MCD), which is trading near all-time highs, all look pretty cheap.

That is real Buffett-esque investing.

Now if you want to day-trade, (scalping or swing trading are the most common methods without high-tech equipment) which is very attractive during a volatile market such as now, it gets a little more tricky, but a good place to start is looking at the beta, or market correlation. Of course, there are tons of factors that influence a stock price, but as a rule of thumb, never day-trade a stock that has a beta of 1 or below! A low beta indicates a companies stock price moves independently from the broader market which is what we don't want. Therefore, a high beta more or less correlates with the market and the direction of its stock price is easier to predict.

Next you need to identify what drives the market–which is pretty easy these days: Europe. So, a good place to start would be a high-beta company in Europe.

Then you need to draw up the technicals. The most popular metric for day-traders are the moving averages. I would try and draw up as many as you can between 100 day and 1 minute. Now I don't want to give too much away, but let's just say that if the current price is "too far below" the MA's you buy (or cover if you're shorting) and if the price is "too far above", you sell (or short).

Hope this helps!

Balco10
    Balco10's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 204

Wait for CAT to drop to 85 then unload!

SBR_John
    Wisky

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyF0cker View Post
    Closing in on $38 + the $1 dividend.

SBR_John
    Wisky

JP Morgan Chase & Co. Common St (JPM)
    -NYSE

Just sold half my position in JPM. Was a great run.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Walker your a sharp fuk

LostBankroll
    who is the bitch in my avy???
    LostBankroll's Avatar Become A Pro!

sell gold now!!!!!

First 123