jones24
    jones24's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 252

Do sports bookermakers influence the outcome of a match?

Ok firstly perhaps not so much for those big matches but those small matches.

In my country of singapore we have our own local soccer scene and i go on another forum and ppl will be discussing odds movements from our local bookmaker. Like for eg odds for team B to score the first goal goes down from 2 to 1.85 for eg and that's the most likely outcome for team B to score 1st.

Then there'll be talks of the bookmaker trying to trick punters with low odds making them think it'll be guaranteed wins and so on.

I'm just curious do bookmakers really fix the matches or in some way know the outcome of the match that an ordinary punter wouldn't? I read from someone else that bookmakers only estimate the most likely outcome of the match therefore reading the odds movement wouldn't help unless the bookmaker somehow influences the match.

I have read countless number of times on that forum on how a heavily favored team is going to lose cos of the huge number of punters on it using it metaphorically as a heavy boat going to sink.

The idea is that the bookmaker which is government owned sees that a huge number of punters have wagered for team A the favourite team to win therefore a huge number of bets are on A and somehow they'll get team A to lose to win over those bets. My country's football league matches are available to be wagered worldwide cos many online book makers have them like Bet365 for eg.

What do you think? Do bookmakers know something about a match and have the ability to influence the match outcome?

brettels
    brettels's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 16

Probably not so much the bookmakers themselves but the teams or individiauls(tennis) do the fixing to there benefits. The only way i see a bookmaker fixing a match is if they are really close to a club they sponsor and make a deal where both bookmaker/sponsored club benefit from it, but it would be so dam rare if it did ever happen. You gonna make people paranoid lol

wrongturn
    Update your status
    wrongturn's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3726

Don't think bookmakers will fix matches, but they probably know about fixed games based on the betting they receive.

grosh
    grosh's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 709

Quote Originally Posted by wrongturn View Post
    Don't think bookmakers will fix matches, but they probably know about fixed games based on the betting they receive.
    Chelsea-Arsenal looked like a fixed match.
    this result 3:5 automatically triggers thoughts:
    FRAUD! FRAUD!

jones24
    jones24's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 252

What do bookmakers know about a match that an ordinary punter with an internet connection to research on a team's players, performance etc doesn't know about?

vyomguy
    vyomguy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 234

in some games...yes...when hundreds of millions of dollars involved. Happens very frequently in tennis.