VegasInsider
    Update your status
    VegasInsider's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 18

ESPN "Ungaurded" - Tonight at 8pm

Everyone HAS to watch this tonight. Some of you may remember Chris Herren and his career and story...tonight it goes on air for two-hours in the 30 for 30 series. The same director that did the Marcus Dupree story is doing this one tonight.

About a month ago, I posted a thread saying that I met this guy at a charity event for a drug rehab facility in Rhode Island. I didn't really know who he was but he gave about a 45 minute speech about his life and everyone was floored. Half the place was in tears after dinner.

He's from Fall River, Mass and is a local legend in the SE Mass/Rhode Island area.

Just a heads up, watch this tonight. I'm honored to say that I had a chance to hear this man speak in person, guy made some bad choices but eventually did the right thing and that's to be commended.

Sunde91
    Sunde91's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 255

you take this shitty documentary and make it about yourself like anyone gives a shit that you met this no name at a charity

VegasInsider
    Update your status

I made it about myself?

I simply stated that I met the guy, heard him speak and have a new found respect for the guy that really turned his life around.

It's a story worth telling.

Much more relevant than the Reggie vs. Spike bullshit ESPN documentary.

VegasInsider
    Update your status

PS, Sunde...

Fukk off.

Sunde91
    Sunde91's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 255

RhodeIslandInsider

failed fukin poster

will2survive
    STAY IN YO LANE!
    will2survive's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 22

Heard Chris Herren on local sports Radio WFAN--these ESPN 30-30 shows with Marcus DuPree, Drazen Petrovic, Vlade Divac, and SMU scandal are awesome. Thanks for the heads up! I love this stuff.

Dupree could've easily had a 400 yard rushing game --guy was a beast

VegasInsider
    Update your status

The Dupree episode was the best one I've seen yet. I'm glad the same guy is directing tonight.

bobby heenan
    Update your status
    bobby heenan's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 75

insider....arent you from RI... havent you followed sports since you were a kid...arent you a celts fan? how did u not know about chris? you never heard about the bill reynolds book?

i played on a travel team when i was 14...we played a game in fall river at a ymca...the gym was tiny and they didnt even have digital clock in the gym....herren stopped for about a half hour-45 mintues to watch....nice turnaround he made though....

VegasInsider
    Update your status

Quote Originally Posted by bobby heenan View Post
    insider....arent you from RI... havent you followed sports since you were a kid...arent you a celts fan? how did u not know about chris? you never heard about the bill reynolds book?

i played on a travel team when i was 14...we played a game in fall river at a ymca...the gym was tiny and they didnt even have digital clock in the gym....herren stopped for about a half hour-45 mintues to watch....nice turnaround he made though....
    I didn't grow up in Rhode Island, moved here when I attended college at URI.

MartinBlank
    Going to be a good weekend
    MartinBlank's Avatar Become A Pro!

Thanks for the heads up VI.....

I bought the ESPN 30/30 box set-----they were all exceptional.

Dupree's was very good, as was the "Pony Excess" one about SMU.

I also love the one about the Kirland (Washington) Little League team--that was a great story.

They did a great job with that series.

bobby heenan
    Update your status

Quote Originally Posted by VegasInsider View Post
    I didn't grow up in Rhode Island, moved here when I attended college at URI.
    ahh

Greekster
    Greekster's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6153

My favourite one is the Escobar one. Colombian soccer.

VegasInsider
    Update your status

The one last week about Charismatic was really good too. One of the better one for sure.

VegasInsider
    Update your status

That was simply unbelievable. I think this time the story really got to me. When I heard his story in person, my jaw was on the floor and I'm couldn't really believe what I had heard.

I'm speechless. Great, great documentary.

zam77
    zam77's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 687

I caught the 2nd half. Good shit.

bballs84
    bballs84's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 40233

Must see TV... Remember watching those games at SELLAND ARENA while in high school... Wish FRESNO STATE got another Herren soon.. Great Great story

bballs84

Guy was high on every kind of drug in the world and straight killing guys on the court.. That back court of Padilla and Travieso from UMASS got destroyed

BrianLaverty
    BrianLaverty's Avatar Become A Pro!

I've actually met Chris 3-4 years ago... and like you said, he's a local hero around here.

Powerful story.... watching the full story was amazing to me.

I can't help but wonder if Ricardo Ledo is gonna follow the same path.... just hope he has a better surrounding around him.

Just read your post and you didn't know of him? How old are you, Insider?

I remember watching him at Fresno State... and then being happy as hell when he got traded to the Celtics. Can't believe he was on Oxy when he was playing for the Celtics.... He really could have been something truly special, but its great to see him coaching now.

If you get a chance.. read the book "Basketball Junkie".... its a must read and a great book.

VegasInsider
    Update your status

I didn't know that his first game for Fresno State was at Amherst vs. UMass. I can't even imagine that shit.

VegasInsider
    Update your status

Quote Originally Posted by BrianLaverty View Post
    I've actually met Chris 3-4 years ago... and like you said, he's a local hero around here.

Powerful story.... watching the full story was amazing to me.

I can't help but wonder if Ricardo Ledo is gonna follow the same path.... just hope he has a better surrounding around him.
    He's one of the nicest guys I've ever had a chance to meet and talk to.

You're right about Ledo, should be very interesting to see what happens. I still can't believe he opted for Providence College. Keno Davis must have promised him the world. Looks like PC is going to dominate the in-state rivalry for years to come

MartinBlank
    Going to be a good weekend
    MartinBlank's Avatar Become A Pro!

That was incredible.

Great show.

Easy to root for the guy, I hope he makes it.

bballs84

Live in Fresno Area and he put that program on the map.. That place used to rock... Wish we had something like that again

BeatTheJerk
    BeatTheJerk's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 84

I enjoyed it extremely. It was the highlight of my day to hear his story and know that he was able to fight through it and be the man he is today.

VegasInsider
    Update your status

How about his wife???

That is one special woman. God bless her.

ebbearsfb1
    ebbearsfb1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1694

damn i missed it watching the niu game,

anyone know when its going to be on again?

martin how much was that box set? might be worth a buy

BrianLaverty
    BrianLaverty's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by VegasInsider View Post
    He's one of the nicest guys I've ever had a chance to meet and talk to.

You're right about Ledo, should be very interesting to see what happens. I still can't believe he opted for Providence College. Keno Davis must have promised him the world. Looks like PC is going to dominate the in-state Rivalry for years to come
    The reason why he came to PC is cause Keno isn't the coach.

Ed Cooley is the coach at PC and I'm pretty sure they are going to be a perennial top 25 team after next year....

I've had season tix at PC for the last 15 years and I've never been so psyched about a season as I am next year. Between Ledo and Dunn (another top 25 recruit), they will have a great team.... and not to mention, Cooley is also from Providence and its really a feel good story.

THis year is gonna be ROUGH though.... They might struggle to win 10 games all year... URI should destroy them next month.

But like I said, Ledo better be careful who he is hanging with. He is the state of Rhode Island on his fingers, but he's gotta keep a level head....

daneault23
    daneault23's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4955

Watched the show tonight. Great story, can't believe all the shittt he did and came out alive. Also, props to his wife for staying around and believeing that his true self would come out in the end. Great show.

daneault23
    daneault23's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4955

Anyone know if they will show this again?

compaqDikk
    compaqDikk's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1557

did he shave points?

bobby heenan
    Update your status

Quote Originally Posted by BrianLaverty View Post
    The reason why he came to PC is cause Keno isn't the coach.

Ed Cooley is the coach at PC and I'm pretty sure they are going to be a perennial top 25 team after next year....

I've had season tix at PC for the last 15 years and I've never been so psyched about a season as I am next year. Between Ledo and Dunn (another top 25 recruit), they will have a great team.... and not to mention, Cooley is also from Providence and its really a feel good story.

THis year is gonna be ROUGH though.... They might struggle to win 10 games all year... URI should destroy them next month.

But like I said, Ledo better be careful who he is hanging with. He is the state of Rhode Island on his fingers, but he's gotta keep a level head....
    im pretty excited too...lifelong pc fan(my cousin is alum and dated austin croshere for awhile)....

very excited about ledo and kris dunn...dunn lives about 12 minutes up 95 from me in new london....its great to see pc make a great hire like cooley....its obvious the african american kids relate to him and feel comfortable with him(cooley went to everyone of dunns summer league games)which they didnt with welsh and davis to some degree...too many kids ended up leaving.....dunn and drummond were gonna go off to prep school together...they are pretty tight i guess.....then dunn decided hed stay home and commit to pc.....then you saw drummond scramble with uconn to find room to play this year.....id had a mini pipe dream that dunn was going to convince drummond to join him at pc....but it didnt happen....but things are looking up ....great hire

vinny89121
    vinny89121's Avatar Become A Pro!

didnt see it. didnt even know it was on. im glad u mentioned it. i remember betting on fresno st back in the day. they were my team. chris herron had drug problems, had to take some time off. the point guard from georgtown came over(i think his name was bruno). he got kicked off the team along with one of the other players for pulling out a samuri sword on someone. the center,avondre jones quit the team to start rapping. and melvin ely from chicago was on the team. he went to the la clippers. i know herron went to the celtics for a short period of time. always wondered what happened to him. defenitely gonna watch it

KKoz9
    KKoz9's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 114

great show

InTheDrink
    Drinker of the Year
    InTheDrink's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 527

on right now on the U for those who haven't seen it

ChuckyTheGoat
    ChuckyTheGoat's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 24869

Q: Did Herren or Dominic Young ever get in so deep, such that they threw a game?

I saw Young airball a free throw at end of game. That's almost impossible, if you're a guard who played more than two seasons of pickup hoops.

ChuckyTheGoat
    ChuckyTheGoat's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 24869

worst free throws that i know of is fresno state's dominique young who airballed two free throws at the end of the game. it was later found that he was pointshaving. this was during tark's first years -> sanctions