VegasInsider
    Update your status
    VegasInsider's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 18

Applying For Jobs Sucks

Anyone else going through this? I dont know if you know the back story, but long story short. Worked in finance, got laid off, working at a private club now as a waiter (started as a cook, but FOH is way better money).

It pretty much blows. Wear a monkey suit (aka tux/bowtie) and serve 5 course meals to rich fukks that pay thousands of dollars to join this club.

Been applying for jobs ALL DAY (minus the 20 mins I played poker). Edited my cover letter so many times, it's disgraceful. I've filled out 15 applications so far online/fax and taken almost every one of their stupid ass personality questionnaires that a lot of the big companies require now.

What are the chances I get a job from one of these 15???

I'd like to stay positive...but I'll go with zero

Brock Landers
    Forever in Debt to your Priceless Advice
    Brock Landers's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8792

are you collecting unemployment?

Tech N9ne
    Tech N9ne's Avatar Become A Pro!

Pizza hut is usually hiring

ZetaPsi808
    July 2011 Poster of the Month
    ZetaPsi808's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1982

are you sure your criminal/driving record is clean? if employers find a misdemeanor on your record then that is a major red flag, especially in this environment.

teaserpleaser
    teaserpleaser's Avatar Become A Pro!

Tough out there at least you are working could be like me stuck at home on workers comp... Never want to do this again

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE
    pavyracer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 410

WTF goes from finance to cook?

Oh wait..I guess you went from cooking the books to actually cooking food.

Ninersnut
    Money talks and bullshit runs marathons
    Ninersnut's Avatar Become A Pro!

Finance was all good during the boom on Wall Street. Now there are a thousand fukks outta jobs. Glad I went the Accounting route. Always need an accountant. Finance is a dime a dozen, any asshole who can use the internet with other people's money.

VegasInsider
    Update your status

Quote Originally Posted by Brock Landers View Post
    are you collecting unemployment?
    I have a job. Can you read?

It's a job that can pay the bills right now, not a career.

VegasInsider
    Update your status

Quote Originally Posted by ZetaPsi808 View Post
    are you sure your criminal/driving record is clean? if employers find a misdemeanor on your record then that is a major red flag, especially in this environment.
    I'm never even had a parking ticket...let along been arrested for anything. I couldn't tell you what the inside of a court room looks like.

Brock Landers
    Forever in Debt to your Priceless Advice
    Brock Landers's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8792

Quote Originally Posted by VegasInsider View Post
    I have a job. Can you read? It's a job that can pay the bills right now, not a career.
    you said you were laid off so i assume you collected unemployment for a while.

Whats the level where you can collect unemployment and work another job and do both...do you have to not make more than a certain amount at the job to still be able to collect. Double dipping would be the best if possible

VegasInsider
    Update your status

Quote Originally Posted by pavyracer View Post
    WTF goes from finance to cook?

Oh wait..I guess you went from cooking the books to actually cooking food.
    That's hilarious. I was laid off (among many others), not fired you fukk.

VegasInsider
    Update your status

Quote Originally Posted by Brock Landers View Post
    you said you were laid off so i assume you collected unemployment for a while.

Whats the level where you can collect unemployment and work another job and do both...do you have to not make more than a certain amount at the job to still be able to collect. Double dipping would be the best if possible
    I was given a two week notice before being laid off. Found the job I'm currently at in that time. I'm not sure how unemployment works in this state, never had to collect it. I'd assume you can't double dip if you're full time.

k13
    k13's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1836

Yeah it's tough, you can throw out a 100 resume's and you'll lucky to get one call/interview.

You could probably make up a resume with whatever requirements they need and you still won't get the job.

ngates815
    Hooked Nose J
    ngates815's Avatar Become A Pro!

Janitor is never a bad occupation.

Look at all the time I spend on here. It's fantastic AND it pays the bills, couldn't be happier.

griz
    FEB 2012 POTM
    griz's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 607

VI good luck

out of 15 u will probably here from 1 or 2

itchypickle
    Dan Bilzerian's gunsmith
    itchypickle's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5620

Wish you the best VI

Once FINRA started cracking down in 2009 or so in an attempt to punish the small % of bad actors in NYC it inadvertently crippled the smaller boutique banks and RIAs man. Like always, good intent but piss poor implementation by regulators.

zam77
    zam77's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 687

Keep the job you have and save money and put more effort than you ever have into starting your own business. Never fill out another fukin application again. You seem intellegent enough and obviously know enough about money which is a big step in the right direction.

VegasInsider
    Update your status

Yeah, true zam. Costs so much to start a business and who knows if it'll take off. I would love to own my own small business though

wtt0315
    This is the Broncos Year.
    wtt0315's Avatar Become A Pro!

I see you are a georgia fan also, you live in atlanta? if so i have connections to help you get a job.

dfberger23
    dfberger23's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 406

Good luck man. This is why I am in college, the job market sucks.

sjm5122
    sjm5122's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 11889

It sucks for awhile, but it comes in waves. I graduated in December and applied for months w maybe one or two responses out of a hundred apps. Then all the sudden I had four interviews in a row, and ended up getting a great job as an engineer at a slot machine company. Just hang in there.

ttwarrior1
    ttwarrior1's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9788

get them to join sbr, they must gamble, bang one of the hot women or rich women, put up a sbr sign and talk gambling

VegasInsider
    Update your status

Quote Originally Posted by wtt0315 View Post
    I see you are a georgia fan also, you live in atlanta? if so i have connections to help you get a job.
    I'm a huge UGA fan, but I'm from the northeast.

Roy Halladay
    Roy Halladay's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 20

just remember to be liberal with the cocaine

downsouth
    Bobbywaves is a stiff
    downsouth's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 25123

100% find something you enjoy doing (that can provide a decent living) and do whatever you can to go that route and make it work. I worked as a construction lender in banking for 5 years and was bored out of my mind. I busted my ass, saved like crazy knowing I would eventually go out on my own. Housing market crashes and I know my job would not last long (construction lender when nobody is building is an awfully bad predicament). I began working in special assets for my bank as there was no lending going on. I began to get a read on foreclosure market and where I could find value. I took my money and have since acquired enough rental properties that I do not believe I will ever have to go back to work again. I am still actively saving off cash flow and acquiring additional units on an approx quarterly basis and I have never been happier. I get to wake up with my 1 year old every morning and sometimes go weeks without shaving.

Point being always be looking because you never know when you'll find an opportunity and never know what tommorow holds.

Good Luck

robmpink
    Update your status
    robmpink's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 43

Anyone else going through this? I dont know if you know the back story, but long story short. Worked in finance, got laid off, working at a private club now as a waiter (started as a cook, but FOH is way better money).

It pretty much blows. Wear a monkey suit (aka tux/bowtie) and serve 5 course meals to rich fukks that pay thousands of dollars to join this club.

Been applying for jobs ALL DAY (minus the 20 mins I played poker). Edited my cover letter so many times, it's disgraceful. I've filled out 15 applications so far online/fax and taken almost every one of their stupid ass personality questionnaires that a lot of the big companies require now.

What are the chances I get a job from one of these 15???

I'd like to stay positive...but I'll go with zero

That isn't much of a background. I know a guy who doesn't even have a GED working in accounting.

Roy Halladay
    Roy Halladay's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 20

In all seriousness, yeah it sucks. You need to know someone at a company that can hook you up with a referral really...that's the way it is right now.

robmpink
    Update your status

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Halladay View Post
    In all seriousness, yeah it sucks. You need to know someone at a company that can hook you up with a referral really...that's the way it is right now.

There are health care companies that start out paying 28k-32k for customer service reps. Don't need to know anyone.

downsouth
    Bobbywaves is a stiff
    downsouth's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 25123

Quote Originally Posted by wtt0315 View Post
    I am on my way down to Jax for worlds largest cocktail party. Got a good feeling my dawgs finally come out on the good end.

Screw you Tim Tebow

VegasInsider
    Update your status

Quote Originally Posted by robmpink View Post
    That isn't much of a background. I know a guy who doesn't even have a GED working in accounting.
    Must be a top notch company

Guy is probably filing paperwork for Payday Advance

I'm not looking for a job (I have one of those), I'm looking for a lucrative career.

I went to college for 4 years, graduated with a degree in Economics and a 3.89 GPA, hold insurance and security licenses, have nothing on my record, good credit.

I'm not stressing that I'll never a career...but I just hate wasting my time (at least it feels like it) doing mindless work. Then again, I am happy to HAVE a job. So it's a double edged sword.

VegasInsider
    Update your status

Quote Originally Posted by downsouth View Post
    I am on my way down to Jax for worlds largest cocktail party. Got a good feeling my dawgs finally come out on the good end.

Screw you Tim Tebow
    It's going to be a zoo for sure!! Enjoy and GO DAWGS!!

BIGDAY
    angelman.org
    BIGDAY's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 24866

Good Luck pal.

robmpink
    Update your status

Must be a top notch company

Guy is probably filing paperwork for Payday Advance

I'm not looking for a job (I have one of those), I'm looking for a lucrative career.

I went to college for 4 years, graduated with a degree in Economics and a 3.89 GPA, hold insurance and security licenses, have nothing on my record, good credit.

I'm not stressing that I'll never a career...but I just hate wasting my time (at least it feels like it) doing mindless work. Then again, I am happy to HAVE a job. So it's a double edged sword.
    Well with what you say, it shouldn't be that difficult to get a job in your field unless you are looking in rural areas.

BeatTheJerk
    BeatTheJerk's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 84

"

byronbb
    byronbb's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2284

start booking action for these rich whales

12 Last