JR007
    JR007's Avatar Become A Pro!

TAKE A LOOK AT GETTING A CERTIFICATE, IN MEDICAL, MAYBE,??? SOMETHING THAT YOU GET TRAINED FAST IN A FIELD WHERE THERE IS A DEMAND, COMPUTER TECH,??? LOCAL cOLLEGES IN YOUR AREA

Bbr
    Bbr's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 414

Only in America...

byronbb
    byronbb's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2284

Quote Originally Posted by VegasInsider View Post
    Must be a top notch company

Guy is probably filing paperwork for Payday Advance

I'm not looking for a job (I have one of those), I'm looking for a lucrative career.

I went to college for 4 years, graduated with a degree in Economics and a 3.89 GPA, hold insurance and security licenses, have nothing on my record, good credit.

I'm not stressing that I'll never a career...but I just hate wasting my time (at least it feels like it) doing mindless work. Then again, I am happy to HAVE a job. So it's a double edged sword.
    look up north? apparently canadian banks are hiring us talent

LLXC
    LLXC's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10451

I'm surprised the market has been so tough for econ majors.

The market for Computer Science majors has stayed ridiculously easy.

VegasInsider
    Update your status
    VegasInsider's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 18

The only career with an Economics degree that hasn't been hurt is anything with the Federal Government. They offer A LOT of internships and intern-to-hire, which is a great deal. No one leaves those jobs once in.

VegasInsider
    Update your status

"

goofyre
    Cole World.
    goofyre's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 91

I graduate in December with my BA in CIS. We have a career fair tomorrow morning and I also have a job interview tomorrow afternoon so hopefully I can land something out of it. Going to try and learn PHP now so I can get a job doin web design if nothin else.

VegasInsider
    Update your status

Nice goofyre! Goodluck with the fairs. Make sure you're prepared to hand out resumes/cover letters and get a list of companies that will be there so you can freshen up on what they do and what industry they're in.

big0mar
    SINGLE-DECK BLACKJACK
    big0mar's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3002

You will be at your current job for most of your life

Philavanh
    Philavanh's Avatar Become A Pro!

GL VI....pretty damn difficult to get a job now and days ....but keep your head up buddy

VegasInsider
    Update your status

Quote Originally Posted by big0mar View Post
    You will be at your current job for most of your life
    The odds of that happening are less than 1/10th of percent

dice
    dice's Avatar Become A Pro!

VegasInsider, you seem like an alright guy who was hit by a bad economy. Don't just provide a company a resume, but actually deliver it in person. Call people. I would try a services type business and not Finance. GLTU!

VegasVixen
    Update your status
    VegasVixen's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1357

Yeah, true zam. Costs so much to start a business and who knows if it'll take off. I would love to own my own small business though
    Best of luck to you... FYI - the best jobs (pay, benefits, etc) I ever landed came through WHO I knew. I joined the chamber of commerce, local private clubs, etc and networked my tail off. It lead to a great 12-yr job that paid me 6 figures starting in my mid-20's... That job allowed me to save & invest, and I now own my own business. Yes, it takes a lot of $$ to start-up and hope to make it on your own... for me a great job laid the groundwork for that to happen. Not sure how old you are, but becoming a business owner can be a dream you realize, you just have to put together a realistic long-term plan & work that plan everyday to make it happen. Best of luck Sir
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: VegasInsider

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE
    pavyracer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 410

My advice to you is quit posting on gambling forums else you will be a cook for the rest of your life or worse be unemployed soon from burning customers food.

VegasInsider
    Update your status

Quote Originally Posted by pavyracer View Post
    My advice to you is quit posting on gambling forums else you will be a cook for the rest of your life or worse be unemployed soon from burning customers food.
    I don't work 7 days a week

JMobile
    CM Punk -1000.5 (100X)
    JMobile's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 26848

Vegas, was SBR one of the 15 applications?

Don't try Craigslist. Lots of bots there just trying to collect your resume for your personal contact info.

VegasInsider
    Update your status

Def stayed away from CL...bunch of garbage unless you work with a skilled trade like carpentry. A lot of contractors post listings there, good for that.

SBR was not one of the applications

priskilla22
    priskilla22's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by ngates815 View Post
    Janitor is never a bad occupation.

Look at all the time I spend on here. It's fantastic AND it pays the bills, couldn't be happier.

Avenger
    Avenger's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13

I stopped applying about a year ago.

Maybe I shouldn't be telling you this, it might discourage you.

I found it's more economical to gamble then get a part-time $7.50/hr job with no benefits. My mom works at the Piggleymart and I make more than her.

But then again, I live a degenerate life, I drive a car with almost 150,000 miles on it and after rent, gas, phone, I have $500 to play with. But I got a BF who has a full-time job. It sucks, but I'm in my mid-thirties, and I do not want to be working at Arby's again. EVER.

stevek173
    stevek173's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5964

Quote Originally Posted by Avenger View Post
    I stopped applying about a year ago.

Maybe I shouldn't be telling you this, it might discourage you.

I found it's more economical to gamble then get a part-time $7.50/hr job with no benefits. My mom works at the Piggleymart and I make more than her.

But then again, I live a degenerate life, I drive a car with almost 150,000 miles on it and after rent, gas, phone, I have $500 to play with. But I got a BF who has a full-time job. It sucks, but I'm in my mid-thirties, and I do not want to be working at Arby's again. EVER.
    I like where you're coming from avenger. Text me.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

98% you do not even get a second interview from those job applications

thezbar
    .lent
    thezbar's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 1640

You're best bet my be finding a lead from your customers at work.G.L.

VegasInsider
    Update your status

Quote Originally Posted by jjgold View Post
    98% you do not even get a second interview from those job applications
    2nd interview?? Shit..I'd be happy with getting a response and a first interview. I'm very confident in my people skills and interviewing skills, I usually knock them out of the park. It's just getting that chance.

Ice House
    Ice House's Avatar Become A Pro!

yeah man i hear ya.... i hate job applications such a pain in the ass and most of the time you spend a half hour answering all these bullshit questions and they don't even call you

VegasInsider
    Update your status

Quote Originally Posted by Ice House View Post
    yeah man i hear ya.... i hate job applications such a pain in the ass and most of the time you spend a half hour answering all these bullshit questions and they don't even call you
    The application is one thing, I don't mind that. I hate doing those stupid fukking personality questionnaires they have now. I filled one out online last night for Time Warner Cable and it took 40 fukkin minutes. It was for an Executive Sales job, but some of the questions had absolutely nothing do to with sales, communications, or the company.

cant call it
    BAMA UP!!!
    cant call it's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 455

I put on my application reasons we would want to hire you
    "I have never sh!t on company time"

Instant hire, try it. They appreciate honesty

stevek173

VI if you need something to get you by you can be a Loan Officer

Getting Licensed, etc. will cost you about $1k all together but once you do you pick your spot.

It is selling (selling people back their own money that is) and it isn't for everyone but with how rates are if you work hard you can make some decent money.

Ice House

The application is one thing, I don't mind that. I hate doing those stupid fukking personality questionnaires they have now. I filled one out online last night for Time Warner Cable and it took 40 fukkin minutes. It was for an Executive Sales job, but some of the questions had absolutely nothing do to with sales, communications, or the company.

yeah that is the part I hate too. Very unnesessary and ofcourse everyone is going to answer in a way to tell the company what they want to hear so there is no point...

Ice House

Quote Originally Posted by stevek173 View Post
    VI if you need something to get you by you can be a Loan Officer

Getting Licensed, etc. will cost you about $1k all together but once you do you pick your spot.

It is selling (selling people back their own money that is) and it isn't for everyone but with how rates are if you work hard you can make some decent money.

is it tough to get your license .. like hard to pass the test? and is it a tough sale once you get started? sounds pretty interesting

dom75
    dom75's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 511

I have been laid off for well over a year now, and here is what I have learned. People are so cruel now a days in when they see you have been out of work for an extended period of time, they think you are lazy or a degenerate of some sort. People forget that the job market is tough out there when you have hundreds of people applying for the same job and the potential employer has to pick only a hand full of people to interview and hire out of those hundreds of applicants. True I could go out there and probably get a job in the blink of an eye making 8 bucks an hour, but I have 2 kids that would need to be put in daycare. My kids were in daycare before I got laid off, and I was laying a grand a month alone just in daycare cost. There was mention in an earlier post of how unemplyment works, can you collect and still get a job? You can collect and have a job, but the job you have you can not make more than 25% of what your unemployment is.... so if you get $ 400 a week in unemployment, you can work and make up to a $ 100 a week without it affecting your unemployment.

stevek173

is it tough to get your license .. like hard to pass the test? and is it a tough sale once you get started? sounds pretty interesting
    The test is weird. State was easy, but the Fed - there are so many different branches to mortgage law it isn't even funny. At the same time though there are very easy sections of ethics, calculations etc. I believe the pass rate for the test the 1st time is like 55% I passed the 1st time but I didn't pass the Fed exam by much man, thank god for that ethics section lol.

The main thing right off the bat is you have to work your ass off to get your pipeline going. Once it's going though, the deals you set up in prior months start to fly and you supplement your pipeline. First few months are the toughest, most don't make it past that but those who do usually end up doing pretty well for awhile.

Legions36
    Legions36's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7744

I hope i never have to work for some fu-ck again. Poker and sports is working for me. I mean im not lazy all i do is have $ in my game plan but unless i do my own business why would i want to go take orders from someone else and make them rich when i could eventually just do it myself. So all in all i love my current lifestyle and just trying to make it better, as well as workout and stay in shape.

VegasInsider
    Update your status

Some of the concepts are hard to understand if you haven't gone to school or it or at least been exposed to it before. In terms of the Series 7, once you start learning and re-learning about the options market, it gets pretty difficult. I passed my 7 and 66 on the first try and 2/3 of my insurance exams on the first try (then the other 1/3 on the second).

I found that the Federal was easier, because it's one set of laws. Once you get into learning about your home state (or wherever you're getting the license from), it can become confusing because states have different titles for their employees and different titles have different responsibilities by state.

For Example:

In insurance, some states have Insurance Commissioners, Attorney Generals, The Governor, or State Senate which has the ability to make laws in terns of insurance. Depending on which state you're getting the license for, that answer can change. Just gets kind of confusing sometimes.

First 12