Dirty Sanchez
    Two time SBR Academy Award winner
    Dirty Sanchez's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 26

On-line bookie gets 4 years

Guy got 4 years in the joint...Interesting story....mentions CR.....

http://newsok.com/oklahoma-online-bo...ad_story_title

jjaycuny
    jjaycuny's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9410

Is this the first case of a US bettor (the cop) being prosecuted for overseas gambling?

TEXAS MICKEY
    TEXAS MICKEY's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4375

Oh shit.... SBR involved??? Might be getting 20% of the pie that was moving to CR.

Wonder if this was a PPH site ?????????

CarpeDime
    CarpeDime's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1005

Quote Originally Posted by jjaycuny View Post
    Is this the first case of a US bettor (the cop) being prosecuted for overseas gambling?

It doesn't say the cop is being prosecuted for betting online, it just says he was betting with this guy and happens to have his own gambling issues in a different county. The article doesn't say he's being prosecuted for betting online.

Dirty Sanchez

Interesting wording...not betting..."He specifically admitted to paying off bets and collecting bets made online"

jjaycuny

Quote Originally Posted by CarpeDime View Post
    It doesn't say the cop is being prosecuted for betting online, it just says he was betting with this guy and happens to have his own gambling issues in a different county. The article doesn't say he's being prosecuted for betting online.
    If you google the cops name, it says specifically he is being prosecuted for betting, among other things.

"Benavides works in Oklahoma City but lives in Cleveland County. According to court documents, he spent several hours gambling illegally online at his home in Norman. "

" Benavides was indicted on charges of violating the Anti-Gambling Act, investigators said. They said Benavides is also in trouble for not turning in the David Roy Tune and C.L. Richards -- people with whom he is accused of making bets with and had been investigating for more than a year. "
    Last edited by jjaycuny; 10-20-11 at 06:25 PM.

CarpeDime
    CarpeDime's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1005

Quote Originally Posted by jjaycuny View Post
    If you google the cops name, it says specifically he is being prosecuted for betting, among other things.

"Benavides works in Oklahoma City but lives in Cleveland County. According to court documents, he spent several hours gambling illegally online at his home in Norman. "

" Benavides was indicted on charges of violating the Anti-Gambling Act, investigators said. They said Benavides is also in trouble for not turning in the David Roy Tune and C.L. Richards -- people with whom he is accused of making bets with and had been investigating for more than a year. "

Yeah it does seem to be saying they are going after him for gambling online. I seem to recall Ok City is also an area where they have pursued some other moralist stuff like that, I can't remember what.

I like the "embarrassment to the police department" that he put a little something on college football or whatever he was betting.

If he's been fading Ok and Ok St this year, then yeah that is pretty fukin embarrassing. But if he's been betting on them, they should be proud of him!

riffraff24
    ...and out come the wolves
    riffraff24's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 55

On a side note - If companies like Bodog are advertising on mainstream radio, how is the average consumer supposed to know it is illegal? Shouldn't the radio stations be the first filter of eliminating something like that?

jjaycuny

Quote Originally Posted by CarpeDime View Post
    Yeah it does seem to be saying they are going after him for gambling online. I seem to recall Ok City is also an area where they have pursued some other moralist stuff like that, I can't remember what.

I like the "embarrassment to the police department" that he put a little something on college football or whatever he was betting.

If he's been fading Ok and Ok St this year, then yeah that is pretty fukin embarrassing. But if he's been betting on them, they should be proud of him!
    I'm assuming the main reason for the cop's prosecution is the fact that he was supposed to be investigating the same guy he was placing bets with. That and the fact that the whole operation was based in the US.

Kooser55
    Kooser55's Avatar Become A Pro!

This may make a lot of you laugh but I just started betting online and I had no idea its illegal

darmez88
    darmez88's Avatar Become A Pro!

that sucks.

Dirty Sanchez

Quote Originally Posted by Kooser55 View Post
    This may make a lot of you laugh but I just started betting online and I had no idea its illegal
    yeah...right...remember when you get the knock on the door to keep that story going

Kooser55

Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Sanchez View Post
    yeah...right...remember when you get the knock on the door to keep that story going
    No need in that after this weekend I'm pulling my money out then

TR88
    TR88's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Kooser55 View Post
    No need in that after this weekend I'm pulling my money out then

TexansFan
    TexansFan's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 211

The Indictment charges him with

Using a Computer to violate the Anti-Gambling Act
    Collusion
    Violation of the Anti-Gambling Act

http://www.oag.state.ok.us/oagweb.ns...2578A40053373B

jjaycuny

Quote Originally Posted by TexansFan View Post
    The Indictment charges him with Using a Computer to violate the Anti-Gambling Act Collusion Violation of the Anti-Gambling Act http://www.oag.state.ok.us/oagweb.ns...2578A40053373B
    It's worse than I thought then. He's only being prosecuted for placing bets.

Kooser55

If you can get arrested for betting online why do it? It clearly leaves a paper trail.

Tech N9ne
    Tech N9ne's Avatar Become A Pro!

don't mess with bookies

Hot tub naked with dudes is where you'll be

Stick to SBR recommended books

Play it safe like a rubber

scottie2005
    Update your status
    scottie2005's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 30487

Jeez, place a bet thru a computer get up to 5 years or 5K fine. Place it with a bookie get up to 30 days or $100 fine.
    Points Awarded:

chrisrags gave scottie2005 2 SBR Point(s) for this post.

wtf
    wtf's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 61

america is a little safer today

nikossf
    I dont play at SHIT books
    nikossf's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 138

Quote Originally Posted by wtf View Post
    america is a little safer today

Yea..the hell with rapist or mass murders...im really glad my tax dollars went to catch this guy....good job fellas..keep up the hard work...

tatommack
    cowboys make the playoffs
    tatommack's Avatar Become A Pro!

Wait a min I thought it was illegal to use a cc to play online and that's it. I can't make a wager either now? I'm confused cause I thought it was just against the law for a book to be on us soil. WTF this is all new to me.