GenosPicks
    GenosPicks's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 31

Geno's Takes for October 20 2011

Ahhh it’s Thursday, October 20 so Happy Shemini Atzereth—a cool Jewish holiday meaning God Loves you so much you get an eighth day off (kudos to my Hebrew friends who got that) and it also means I don’t have to rush out to move my car for alternate side parking, that said, congrats to the Cards for getting their obligatory home win behind Chris Carpenter arm and Tony LaRussa’s culjones. Now let’s get to the NFL and what is going on 48 hours from kickoff…

Raiders using the Palmer Method
    Less than 48 hours after acquiring Carson Palmer, Hue Jackson has named him his starter this Sunday in Kansas City. And while many question whether he should be starting already, I think the fact that it is either him or Kyle Boller makes that a moot point. Besides as I said in my Tuesday Geno’s Takes, Oakland has won 4 games this year because all their QB—whoever it is—needs to do is manage the game while Darren McFadden and Michael Bush pound the ball down the opponent’s throats. The real concern here is how the Raiders potentially gave up two first-rounders in acquiring Carson Palmer who is well past his prime. I hope the Raiders didn’t make the mistake so many other teams did in taking Palmer because—like his fellow Alums Leinhart, Cassell and Sanchez—drafting a USC QB based on how impressive his arm was at that school is like a woman getting a tattoo on her breasts. It looks great at first, but over time it becomes nothing more than a sagging embarrassment. And every time you whip it out, the men around you realize they’ve made a huge mistake. Palmer will be fine in Oakland, but they could have gotten someone to do the same job for a lot less… dontcha think?

Lloyd, Lloyd, all Null and Void The NFL continues to see more starters getting replaced than an 87 Toyota and the latest sees Brandon Lloyd sent over to St Louis. This is a fantastic move for Lloyd’s career as his body will see a lot less wear-and-tear throwing his hands up in disgust at a poorly thrown Sam Bradford Pass than it would constantly blocking downfield for Tim Tebow. The beauty of this deal is all the Broncos gave up for him was sixth rounder, which—should Bradford connect with Lloyd 30 times this year—will become a fifth rounder. Denver may as well start scouting the 5th round now, because that would entail Lloyd averaging 5 receptions a game and right now the only Rams who catches more than 5 balls a game is their kick off returner. Denver may as well start scouting that #5 pick now—I recommend they target a kicker who can hit a 70-yard field goal or a second punter to spell Colquitt.

Geno’s Picks (6-3 ATS in NCAA)
    UCLA +4.5 @ Arizona
    How is a 1-5 team laying anything—let alone more than a field goal—against anyone even if they are at home. This is one of those games where idiots pull out the phrase “That line is telling you to take the Bruins!” Really because last I checked, gambling lines were inanimate and they didn’t say anything; the only lines that have ever talked to me are lines of cocaine and they always say the same thing “what are you waiting for?!?!?” The real story in this Pac-12 matchup is that—while both teams are coming off their bye—the Wildcats kept busy during theirs in replacing head coach Mike Stoops with defensive coordinator Tim Kish—the very man who’s squad has given up an average of 300 yards in the air and 200 on the ground per game! Facing the Arizona Defense is like fighting with your girlfriend, no matter how many points you put up against them, they don’t seem to remember the following week and do the exact same ridiculous things!!! Now this genius is running the whole show in Tucson… into the ground.
    Take the Bruins and the 4.5

Follow geno on twitter @genospicks
    Last edited by GenosPicks; 10-20-11 at 09:57 AM.