I'm still watching...
    onlooker's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4327

Dan.

DDT
    Head Mod In Charge
    DDT's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2338

What a tragic ending to the season for an already struggling organization.

Optional
    Optional's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 9216

The $5 Million prize for a non-regular sounded like a great idea.

Bet they won't do that again. Or make them start at the rear if they do.

Vegas39
    Vegas39's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 214

Quote Originally Posted by Optional View Post

Indy should give the money to his wife

DrStale
    DrStale's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas39 View Post

Indy should give the money to his wife
    Pretty sure he didnt win.

Vegas39

Quote Originally Posted by DrStale View Post
    Pretty sure he didnt win.

Thanks captain obvious

TEXAS MICKEY
    TEXAS MICKEY's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4375

He did start 34th, that was the only way he had a chance at the 5 mil. It was all explained on Speed last night. He had already moved to 24th, when all the shit broke loose.
    This will probably be the end of the 1-1/2 mile speed bowls for these guys. Road courses and street circuits will be the norm, with the only oval being Indy.

RIP Dan.

TM

DrStale

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas39 View Post

Thanks captain obvious
    Why in the world would they give the winning prize money away then? My post was obvious because yours was stupid.

Optional

He started 34th because Indycar said he didn't really qualify under the spirit of the prize offer, but they would let him have a shot at it if he chose to start at the rear.

Vegas39

Why in the world would they give the winning prize money away then? My post was obvious because yours was stupid.

Due to tragic circumstances would be a decent gesture but then Indy car and common sense last few years is oxymoron

Vegas39

He started 34th because Indycar said he didn't really qualify under the spirit of the prize offer, but they would let him have a shot at it if he chose to start at the rear.

Yup that's it in a nutshell

Optional

Look up compassion in the dictionary for a possible reason they might do it.

5mike5
    NA$CAR PSYCHIC
    5mike5's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 28781

also think 34 cars on a track not very wide just to "pump up the final" is a total embarassment...the organizers were warned by the best drivers in the world b4 this thing ever started...this is 1 death that really didnt have to happen IMO....and yes dans wife and children should recieve the 2.5m they would have recieved had he won the event...would be the only thing this indy organization has got right in a very long time
    Last edited by 5mike5; 10-17-11 at 09:08 PM.

Optional

I feel like Indycar looks a bit reckless here too. But I don't think we should be too hard on them. Last 2 years have been a vast improvement over the period before that imho.

Vegas39

I feel like Indycar looks a bit reckless here too. But I don't think we should be too hard on them. Last 2 years have been a vast improvement over the period before that imho.

They have improved but some goofy decision still like restarting in rain at Loudon

TEXAS MICKEY

This whole race has been pumped all year, as something fantastic with the 5 mil bounty. IMO it was gross negligence on IRL's part for not letting the yearend race be for the regulars and settle a yearlong battle for the points. Too many rookies were in this field as well. They haven't seen a 34 car field since the inception of IRL. I was at the first race at Disney World and I really thought the series had a chance, but with the merger of CART, it brought the money bag fukkers Penske, Ganassi and now we have the same old shit as before.
    The IRL was intended for the small guy as a stepping stone, to bigger things.

DrStale

Haha ohh you guys. They're not going to give her the 5 million. She'll probably sue and get it though. Cuz money makes everything better.

5mike5
    NA$CAR PSYCHIC
    5mike5's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 28781

he would have got 2.5m,(other 2.5 would have went to a fan) but ur right...i doubt IRL would do the right thing here either...just wishing they would for his 2 children that lost their dad...i can hope at least for them to be a class act...but im not holding my breath
    Last edited by 5mike5; 10-17-11 at 09:23 PM.

Optional

Quote Originally Posted by TEXAS MICKEY View Post
    The IRL was intended for the small guy as a stepping stone, to bigger things.
    What bigger things? The only bigger things for Open Wheel drivers are in Europe. I like road racing more than ovals in these things. But the only way Indy is going to be a stepping stone to anything is to race on more permanent tracks instead of road courses and drop most of the oval races... and I don't think anyone wants that.

Vegas39

Quote Originally Posted by 5mike5 View Post
    he would have got 2.5m,(other 2.5 would have went to a fan) but ur right...i doubt IRL would do the right thing here either...just wishing they would for his 2 children that lost their dad...i can hope at least for them to be a class act...but im not holding my breath

That was my point be a compassionate gesture but again very unlikely

DrStale

Somehow I doubt his family is exactly destitute, and money wont bring him back. Give the money to charity.

Vegas39

Somehow I doubt his family is exactly destitute, and money wont bring him back. Give the money to charity.
    Even that would be a good thing in my eyes

TEXAS MICKEY

[quote=Optional;11929745]What bigger things?

And yes, you're right. CART was still around with turbo engines and plenty of money and a place to advance to the next level. IRL was totally a developmental series, low cost, naturally aspirated engines, two chassis to choose from. And when CART folded, that turned into a quagmire for a failing two series open wheel racing. Only thing to do was merge, and then here came all the changes and the IRL intentions were out the window.
    Sad to say, but open wheel formula type racing in the States is pretty much in a state of disaray.

Dirty Sanchez
    Two time SBR Academy Award winner
    Dirty Sanchez's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 26

The sad part is he's not even been gone 24 hours and all of the Monday Morning QBing going on from Fox News to Jimmie Johnson. All of the emotional comments going on looking for a scapegoat isn't going to do any good. The samething went on when Dale Earnhardt died, they went after the Seatbelt safety inventor to the point eventually he committed suicide. The answer isn't to stop Indy Cars from Oval racing, it's limiting the field size, monitoring rookie/unsponsored drivers, and look into plate type racing just like NASCAR has done to slow the cars down. The only reason it's making any news is because someone went out in a horrific fashion....and now everyone has their horns up....in the end there's too much money involved from a track, sponsor, driver, and owner perspective to take tracks from the schedule. Indycar racing is on life support as it is, look at the crowds....they cut tracks from the schedule and their sport will be on life support.