actiondan
    actiondan's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 16749

Just another GOP establishment hack. Former federal reserve chairman in KC. Bojangling, lying fool.

Glitch
    Glitch's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5224

Quote Originally Posted by Flashmo View Post
    who thinks Mormonism is weird and wrong? Muslims? Catholics? Protestants? Liberals? That has to be one of the most ignorant statements I have seen here...what's weird or wrong with it? I'm a Jew and I could care less..oh yeah...you progressives are against religious freedom

they say its a cult and/or that they're not real christians. these are actual real criticisms that have been introduced by people who are apprehensive of trusting a mormon in this position.

im not making this up. just because you dont know something, that does not make it not true. its like when i was telling people before the season that the lions were gonna be good this year.

yes i have michael moore as my avatar. its to stir up dumb ***** like you.

jarvol
    jarvol's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3670

Quote Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
    they say its a cult and/or that they're not real christians.

these are actual real criticisms that have been introduced by people who are apprehensive of trusting a mormon in this position.
    "They"?

It isn't a requirement you be a Christian to hold an elected office in America. Thankfully there were much, much smarter and honorable men running this country 240 years ago.

Based on how America has been run over the past century, I would be apprehensive of electing another self-proclaimed Christian since every president and 99+% of all congressmen are self-proclaimed Christians over that time.

itchypickle
    Dan Bilzerian's gunsmith
    itchypickle's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5620

Quote Originally Posted by jarvol View Post
    "They"?

It isn't a requirement you be a Christian to hold an elected office in America. Thankfully there were much, much smarter and honorable men running this country 240 years ago.

Based on how America has been run over the past century, I would be apprehensive of electing another self-proclaimed Christian since every president and 99+% of all congressmen are self-proclaimed Christians over that time.

I don't get the divide really.....Pelosi has touted her Christianity....JFK his...Bill and Hillary.....Obama....and Obama's base is supported by the REVERENDS Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson, the REVEREND even has his own shows on TV and radio to back Obama....so why do some Christian politicians have an issue with Perry being a Christian?

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE
    pavyracer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 410

It's one thing touting being a Christian and another thing touting you are a Mor(m)on who wants 16 wifes with 10 of them younger than 12.

CarpeDime
    CarpeDime's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1005

boys its gonna be romney unless he dies or gets cancer or something

Cain ZERO chance
    Perry ZERO chance

the others obviously not

im not going to tie up money betting it now, but closer to election time i'll be pounding political props boys

jarvol

Quote Originally Posted by pavyracer View Post
    It's one thing touting being a Christian and another thing touting you are a Mor(m)on who wants 16 wifes with 10 of them younger than 12.
    It shouldn't be a function of government to legislate marriage anyway. What gives them that right? Americans shouldn't have special rights or be denied rights or face different tax codes based on whether they are married or not. It is absurd. If somebody wants to 10 wives or 10 husbands.....more power to them. They aren't hurting anybody or violating the Constitutional rights of anybody. Live and let live people.

Glitch

"They"?

It isn't a requirement you be a Christian to hold an elected office in America. ...
    Its not a requirement but its a strong preference. You let me know when theres a non-christian president of the united states. ill be waiting very very patiently. The dispute around Romney is whether or not he is really a christian. Whether or not Mormons are christians. I have not rendered my opinion here on the matter. I have merely stated that this is a controversy that exists. "Flashmo" above, didnt seem to understand that.

Quote Originally Posted by itchypickle View Post

I don't get the divide really.....Pelosi has touted her Christianity....JFK his...Bill and Hillary.....Obama....and Obama's base is supported by the REVERENDS Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson, the REVEREND even has his own shows on TV and radio to back Obama....so why do some Christian politicians have an issue with Perry being a Christian?
    Every politician touts their Christianity. Even Bobby Jindahl does. Nobody has a issue with Perry being a Christian. They have an issue with him being too "religious."

itchypickle
    Dan Bilzerian's gunsmith

Isn't that a small % of them that do that....hard to generalize an entire group for it....I mean Romney only has one right? of age? Huntsman as well?

Glitch

mormons think they are christians. However, if you look at those above- posted videos (especially the animated 2) you will see how different mormonism is, from what many people would classify as christianity (despite shared principals like believing in God and Jesus etc)

the facts in those videos are very close to how it actually is. they are very close to what the church of jesus christ of latter day saints (mormon church) teaches.

jarvol

Quote Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
    Its not a requirement but its a strong preference. You let me know when theres a non-christian president of the united states. ill be waiting very very patiently.
    That is the same thing said about blacks and women a very few short decades ago (you know....that race and sex that Christians oppressed, beat, tortured, and mistreated for decades and centuries due to their religious beliefs ). America is fortunately becoming less polarized by religion and the percentage of Americans who claim to be Christians is dropping. If America was truly a tolerant country that actually practiced the freedom of religion it wouldn't even matter. Unfortunately this country is is not short on hypocrites.
    Last edited by jarvol; 10-14-11 at 01:58 PM.

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE
    pavyracer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 410

Quote Originally Posted by itchypickle View Post
    Isn't that a small % of them that do that....hard to generalize an entire group for it....I mean Romney only has one right? of age? Huntsman as well?
    Yes the reason more don't practice it is because it's illegal in all states and you go in jail if you do it.

itchypickle
    Dan Bilzerian's gunsmith

Personally I don't care if a President is Mormon, Christian, Wiccan or Atheist....speaks well in public or is Ivy League educated or a D-3 school.....as long as they are competent enough to stay out of my personal/business life as much as possible....have at it.

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8638

A couple of points here. First, according to Fox News, Newt Gingrich has now passed Rick Perry in the two latest polls. Next, a peson's religion should have nothing to do with whether or not he is electable. Granted, it would be very difficult for a Jew to be elected President, and impossible for an Islamic to be elected, but that is because of the current situation on the Middle East, not any economic policies.

Bottom line: Do not pay a lot of attention to "National Polls". Pay attention to the polls dealing with the first 6 GOP caucuses and primaries. Those contests will eliminate most of the field.

itchypickle
    Dan Bilzerian's gunsmith

Quote Originally Posted by BigdaddyQH View Post
    A couple of points here. First, according to Fox News, Newt Gingrich has now passed Rick Perry in the two latest polls. Next, a peson's religion should have nothing to do with whether or not he is electable. Granted, it would be very difficult for a Jew to be elected President, and impossible for an Islamic to be elected, but that is because of the current situation on the Middle East, not any economic policies.

Bottom line: Do not pay a lot of attention to "National Polls". Pay attention to the polls dealing with the first 6 GOP caucuses and primaries. Those contests will eliminate most of the field.
    We don't need the office, we already pull the strings elsewhere remember.

And I agree on the 'national polls' since the one released by the Journal and one of the networks this week only polled a couple hundred people in one are and had an error margin of close to 5% so it's almost pointless.

JohnGalt2341
    46 and 2 are just ahead of me
    JohnGalt2341's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3643

"They"? It isn't a requirement you be a Christian to hold an elected office in America.
    I live in the Deep South. At my former place of employment I was the only Atheist(that I was aware of at least). Even though there were several different religions(many of which contradicted each other) and dozens of different variations of religions... I soon realized that most of them didn't care just as long as you believed in some form of nonsense. In fact, most of the "Christians" thought the Muslims were just basically Christians from another country. They had no clue. The Muslims were slightly more educated but even still in their mind being an Atheist was the worst possible thing a person could be. I got along well with virtually all of my coworkers but I know they all felt that I was "crazy"(and I'm pretty sure many of them thought that I worshiped the devil because it was the only way their brains could make sense for me not being a christian) for not believing in God. I think this is how the majority of uneducated Believers in the U.S. think. They would rather have any Cult member become President... just as long as he's not a "crazy" Atheist. It's ironic... don't you think?

wantitall4moi
    wantitall4moi's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3834

LOL, OK as usual people talking out their asses in here and dont have a clue.

The LDS church, the main one (there are probably 100 factions of 'Mormonism') does not practice plural marriage. They stopped in 1890. There are some fundamentalists and orthodox sects that do still try and practice it, as far as the law allows. Now the main LDS church does state that in the afterlife and after the world is transformed then worthy people will be practicing it then. Not all members agree with that however, but that is what is taught.

Also they are Christians, the real name of the church is The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. So they are definitely Christian. They believe in pretty much what most Christians believe in. They just have had some revelations given to them by people they believe in that goes beyond what most Christians can accept. Whether those revelations are true or not is pretty much what separates them from other Christian faiths.

I dont seem to remember Romney getting any sort of press in Massachusetts when he was governor there for being too over the top in his beliefs or that his religious convictions effected how he governed that state.

Truth is most of these guys pretend to be religious to get the vote, at least with Romney I am 90% sure he believes what he says and will practice his religion because he feels it is right not because it will get him a couple votes or looks good for a photo shoot.

Another truth is most Christians dont have a clue as to what they really believe. Most of them probably havent read the Bible or have any idea what Jesus did or was said to have done, before he died and after. I imagine if most people were presented with stuff right out of the New Testament they would call it crazy, despite the fact they call themselves Christians. People who claim to be Christians have two views of Jesus, in a manger as a baby, and hanging from a cross. They dont have a clue as to what else was written about him. Which isnt a whole lot, but what there is is pretty outrageous, and the fact that most Mormons know all of it and still believe makes them more Christian probably than people without a clue who just say they are because it seems right. Because they know what it says, and what it says he did.

But it all comes down to faith. most people dont have it, they just pretend to or fool themselves into thinking they do. Thats why most people who classify themselves as such and such a religionreally arent. Theyre part time or in name only. Most dont have a clue to the rules or the dogma of whatever they claim to be. Theyre basically generic 'believers' which for the most part is what everyone is born with anyway. That is if you believe in that sort of thing.

KKoz9
    KKoz9's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 114

Quote Originally Posted by Ricki Roma View Post
    Whats someones race got to do with it?
    Really? How do you think Obama got elected? Do you think people who voted for him really liked his PLATFORM?

C'mon man?

Now what happens when the Republicans get a black candidiate?

Maybe people will have to consider actual policy?

That would be refreshing. Hopefully reality actually factors into this election whichever way it may go.

Glitch

Quote Originally Posted by wantitall4moi View Post
    Also they are Christians, the real name of the church is The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. So they are definitely Christian. They believe in pretty much what most Christians believe in. They just have had some revelations given to them by people they believe in that goes beyond what most Christians can accept. Whether those revelations are true or not is pretty much what separates them from other Christian faiths.
    this is not true at all- i like mormons and think most of them are fantastic people. However, (the following is about the LDS mainstream church)
    1. they really do believe that joseph smith dug up some tablets and interpreted them as the only one allowed to see them and translated them with a stone
    2. until 30 years ago preached that only a white male could hold the priesthood aka be a 'full member' of the church. because black skin was supposedly the mark of cain.
    3. they think its wrong to drink coffee
    4. they believe in specific ritualistic temple ceremonies
    5. they bellieve the american indians are from jerusalem
    6. their church is led by a "prophet" who supposedly has divine insight
    7. most of these things and more:

i know this is southpark but this is actually "how it happened"
    Last edited by Glitch; 10-15-11 at 06:00 PM. Reason: spelling

Glitch

Quote Originally Posted by wantitall4moi View Post
    Another truth is most Christians dont have a clue as to what they really believe. Most of them probably havent read the Bible or have any idea what Jesus did or was said to have done, before he died and after. I imagine if most people were presented with stuff right out of the New Testament they would call it crazy, despite the fact they call themselves Christians. People who claim to be Christians have two views of Jesus, in a manger as a baby, and hanging from a cross. They dont have a clue as to what else was written about him. Which isnt a whole lot, but what there is is pretty outrageous, and the fact that most Mormons know all of it and still believe makes them more Christian probably than people without a clue who just say they are because it seems right. Because they know what it says, and what it says he did.
    mormons have taken the bible and added to it. their religious texts that they use and hold in the same esteem as the bible are the doctrice and covenants, the pearl of great price, the book of mormon and the bible.

that is NOT the same as what most christians believe.

First 12