While I hope you love reading this daily blog as much as I do writing it, if you’re not following the tweets you miss 24-7 sports insights and info like yesterday’s tweet: Steve Young's wife surprised him w/a flash mob for his 50th birthday. BIG DEAL, the bear's O line surprises Jay Cutler with 1 every 3 downs. That said, it’s Wednesday, that day when we take a breather from Football to keep you abreast of what’s going on in the world of other sports.

THE NBA STRIKE
After twelve hours of negotiations on Sunday and Monday—NBA owners and players walked out farther apart then the joints in LaMichael James’s elbow. With no other option Commissioner David Stern canceled the first two weeks of the NBA season. The NBA is only screwing themselves as they continue to put the entire season in jeopardy thinking anyone cares about them and their money problems. And unlike the NFL strike that loomed over our heads in the spring, no one is really taking any sides in this disaster because no one really cares. And the think the news that they are canceling the season is going to scare us. Why, someone needs to tell the NBA that their product has evolved into what is pretty much a step above pro wrestling and that the only thing more meaningless than the first 2 weeks of the NBA season are the first THREE quarters of every NBA game. Is there any one of us that will really miss the NBA—especially when NCAA basketball has been a far better product than decades—midnight madness starts is less than 48 hours!!!

The MLB Postseason
Yup, after nearly 170 games we’ve narrowed it down to four teams from the middle of the nowhere… er I mean country. Hey, is it just me or does the post season lose a lot of “ummph” when you don’t have a team from the Northeast or California playing? I mean no offense to any Midwesterners as all four of teams playing now—Texas, Detroit, St. Louis, and Milwaukee—deserve to be there as they played their hearts out while teams like the Phils and Yankees again mailed it in with half-assed postseason play. Watching the Yankees in game seven last week was like watching an episode of Lost—a bunch of stranded idiots taking direction from people who knew nothing about baseball while I stared at the TV saying “someone explain to me what just happened.” The Yanks and Phils have a ton of talent but you need something extra to win in the post season and that is passion and desire—the very thing that got the Rangers and Giants past the aforementioned chokers in last years AL and NLCS.
I'm not sure what is more frustrating, watching the Yankees go an abysmal 2 for 9 with runners in scoring position—0 for 4 with the bases loaded—in stranding 11 runners or the fact that they held a man at third TWICE on base hits only to have him remain there two outs later. Yes the unwritten rule is don’t make the second out at home—which is where the Yankees are as we write this—but how about the old cheer “Be aggressive; B-E AGGRESSIVE!” At the very least, realize you are representing your city when you play, and every New Yorker knows that anyone running in the Bronx at night is obviously willing to take chances. Hey, at least the fans in Philly ended their season in a way befitting the city—screaming insults at a black guy lying on the ground

Being a fan is a privilege
Two idiots fans made the news in the past weeks as one idiot fan threw a hot dog at Tiger Woods Sunday at the Frys.com open while on September 22nd, another jackass threw a banana at Flyers Wayne Simmonds during a preseason hockey game in London, Ontario. The guy who threw the hot dog at Tiger was just as jackass as he had no point and probably just wanted to get on the news—not to mention a hot dog hurled at a man standing still staring at a putt can’t really do much damage but, while a man skating on ice probably won’t slip on the banana peel—this is real life not a Hanna Barbera cartoon—the distraction may be enough to cause him to lose balance and fall or tear something. Going to a live event in any sport—and golf—is a privilege and these men both should be punished to the full extent of the law—especially the racist jackass who threw the banana peel as he’s not only a racist but also a coward. I mean if you really want to make a statement, don’t sneak in a banana peel to throw at the guy, be a man about it and sneak in a watermelon.

Follow Geno Bisconte on twitter @genospicks