stevenash
    stevenash's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 32279

Zack Greinke calls out Chris Carpenter as a phony bitch

In a Milwaukee Brewers clubhouse filled with oversized personalities, the first shot at the rival St. Louis Cardinals going into Game 1 of the NL championship series came from a surprising source: Starting pitcher Zack Greinke, whose bout with social anxiety disorder typically makes him one of the least likely players to pop off.

Speaking to reporters at Miller Park on Saturday, Greinke said some of his Brewers teammates don't like Cardinals ace Chris Carpenter when he shouts at batters from the mound.

"They think his presence, his attitude out there sometimes is like a phony attitude," Greinke said. "And then he yells at people. He just stares people down and stuff. And most pitchers just don't do that. And when guys do, I guess some hitters get mad. Some hitters do it to pitchers. But when you do that some people will get mad.

"There's other pitchers in the league that do it, but, I don't know," Greinke said, "a lot of guys on our team don't like Carpenter."

The NL Central champion Brewers send Greinke to the mound for the series opener against the wild-card Cardinals and lefty Jaime Garcia on Sunday. With a World Series trip on the line in a rematch of the 1982 Series, an already-simmering Rivalry could reach a new level of intensity.

Cardinals manager Tony La Russa vigorously defended Carpenter, saying he was "very disappointed" with Greinke. La Russa said any team in the league, including the Brewers, would be happy to have Carpenter on their staff.

"That's a bad comment to make unless you know Chris Carpenter," La Russa said. "Our attitude is we look at ourselves and we grade ourselves. And even if we don't like what's happening on the other side, we don't make a -- it's not our business, unless somebody crosses the line. So I think the Brewers should take care of their players."

While it was surprising to hear Greinke talk openly about his teammates' disdain for Carpenter on the eve of one of the biggest weeks in Brewers history, the sentiment itself isn't shocking.

Milwaukee's rabble-rousing center fielder, Nyjer Morgan, got in a heated confrontation with Carpenter late in the regular season.

They think his presence, his attitude out there sometimes is like a phony attitude. And then he yells at people. He just stares people down and stuff. And most pitchers just don't do that.

-- Zack Greinke on Chris Carpenter

Not just foes on the field and in the division, the Cardinals and Brewers are a study in contrasting approaches to the game. The Cardinals aren't prone to over-the-top celebrations, and don't particularly like it when the Brewers do so.

"Sometimes, that exuberance can spill over into a realm that I don't feel is appropriate," Lance Berkman said of the Brewers. "But I'm not the czar of baseball, either. So that's all I can say about it."

Brewers players make their "beast mode" celebration gesture after any significant play, talking big and -- so far, at least -- backing it up. Milwaukee finished six games ahead of the second-place Cardinals this year.

"They're more of an old-school (team) and we're kind of a new school," Corey Hart said. "We're exciting and high energy. To be honest about it, that's why we probably clash a little bit because of the differences. But I feel we both respect each other. They respect us and we respect them. You can't let the differences get in the way of the fact that both teams are pretty good."

Carpenter spoke to reporters before Greinke made his comments, and downplayed any suggestion that the two teams don't like each other.

"I don't think that's a fact," Carpenter said. "I think we have great respect for them. I hope they have the same for us."

But there have been several flashpoints between the Brewers and Cardinals throughout the season, and Carpenter was squarely in the middle of perhaps the most intense moment.

In a Sept. 7 game at St. Louis, Morgan struck out and he and Carpenter swore at each other. Albert Pujols got in the middle as the benches emptied.

No punches were thrown, but Morgan later posted messages on his Twitter account saying he hoped "those crying birds" would enjoy watching the Brewers in the playoffs. He referred to Pujols as "Alberta."

Asked if he regretted the Twitter insults, Morgan acknowledged that he -- and his self-created alter ego, "Tony Plush" -- probably should have kept his comments to himself.

"Yeah, maybe I shouldn't have said it," Morgan said. "But it is what it is."

Morgan said he didn't think any "foolishness" would spill over into the NLCS with so much on the line -- and figured the story lines between the two teams would simply drum up more interest in the series.

"Honestly, it's good for baseball," Morgan said. "Going out there, all the stuff that's going on, people are going to view the game a little bit more. Thanks to Plush, the TV ratings are going to go up a little higher."

Pujols didn't want to revisit the dustup.

"Can you guys talk about the game, about the series, and not bring up stuff that happened two months ago?" he said. "Come on."

But that wasn't the only flare-up between the Brewers and Cardinals this season.

During an early August series in Milwaukee, the Cardinals complained about electronic signs in Miller Park, saying they were distracting to players. Pujols and Ryan Braun both were hit by pitches. La Russa also complained about heckling, saying one fan yelled that he hoped the manager got shingles again.

"They play hard," La Russa said Saturday, asked about the tension between the teams. "We play hard. We're both interested in the outcome and sometimes sparks fly."

Brewers manager Ron Roenicke said he isn't concerned about his players letting their emotions get the best of them.

"We have a good team to play," Roenicke said. "We know that. We just have to make sure we're ready to do what we do best."

And Berkman, who spent most of his career in Houston, acknowledged that even he had a negative perception of the Cardinals before he played for them.

"I looked at the Cardinals as the Darth Vader of the NL Central, a foe to be vanquished," Berkman said. "They used to irritate me. Part of that is because when you're the team to beat, you're going to engender some of that animosity from the opposition."

numismatist
    Le roi est mort, vive le roi...
    numismatist's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1369

There are just so many douchebags on these two clubs: Nyjer Morgan, Tony LaRussa, Zick "Shyboy" Greinke, Poo-Holes.
    Should be a fun series.
    Personally I am pulling for Milwaukee. Always had a soft spot for that city and I hate Tony LaRussa bad.

Cougar Bait
    2010 Poster of the Year
    Cougar Bait's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3289

Hoping for a couple brawls, and Carpenter to get his arm broken.

keyboarding
    SBR's Respected Garbage
    keyboarding's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 972

Most shocking thing about that column is Berkman using the word "czar". Also interesting is La Russa letting a heckle about shingles get to him. Classic.

notsosharp
    notsosharp's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 43

why does milwaukee want to keepwaking up the cardinals? Morgan single handly propelled them to the playoffs. Now greinke....can't make this shit up.

tblues2005
    tblues2005's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7184

I think that is a bad thing for the Brewers pitcher to say that. I sure give the edge anyway to the Cardinals this series anyway. The Cardinals do have the experience factor of having a World Series Championship 5 years ago and there is a few players on that club that won then also. I just think running your mouth like this is not a good thing. It just gives the other team more incentive to beat them.

ProfaneReality
    ProfaneReality's Avatar Become A Pro!

Wasn't Greinke on suicide watch and had to be put on the DL for being bi polar or something.... and HE is talking shit?

antifoil
    Update your status
    antifoil's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6611

berkman did go to rice. so if you are implying that would be out of his vocabulary, it would not be.

rake922
    rake922's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2111

wow should be crazy

TobiasFunke
    Never Nude
    TobiasFunke's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 46

This series should get pretty heated between that beast mode crap the brewers do, and the personalities of LaRussa and Carpenter, I see a similarity to last years fiery NLCS with the Phillies and Giants...

Keelo
    Keelo's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 471

These teams have a real hatred for each other. Tony La Russa hates everything that the Brewers stand for. I am sure La Russa will intentionally hit a few batters in this series.

JMobile
    CM Punk -1000.5 (100X)
    JMobile's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 26848

Hoping for Pujols to continue the match with TFlush and do a Fatality like from Mortal Kombat, Finish Him style.

I hate Nyjer Morgan. The shemale is a fairy!

agharah1
    agharah1's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 1191

Cardinals fans are some of the most racist knowledgeable fans in baseball.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: BuddyBear

Dirty Sanchez
    Two time SBR Academy Award winner
    Dirty Sanchez's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 26

When Greinke left the Royals...he might of got off the meds...gutsy call on his part

Avenger
    Avenger's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13

Quote Originally Posted by agharah1 View Post
    Cardinals fans are some of the most racist knowledgeable fans in baseball.
    R u serious? You're going to make it a race thing?

I remember when Morgan got into it with Carpenter. It was the game when Cards were sweeping the Brewers and Brew Crew were on a losing streak and lil bitch Morgan couldn't hack the pressure and imploded like a schoolgirl.

Carp just doesn't put up with people hurling profanities with him (if you want to insert black people in there, go ahead).

LaRussa hates them because they're raunchy, shit-talkers. Hate is a strong word.

I can't believe y'all don't see this article for what it is. Zeinke is a social retard, he said stuff that should've stayed in the lockerroom. And some unethical journalist took advantage of him. Douchebag.

19th Hole
    19th Hole's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10288

[quote=notsosharp;11798965]why does milwaukee want to keepwaking up the cardinals?
    Morgan single handly propelled them to the playoffs.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Who cares

means nothing

Love The Action
    Love The Action's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3454

Quote Originally Posted by jjgold View Post
    Who cares

means nothing
    This is the sharpest post I've ever seen from this Gold guy.

This is a complete non-story. Greinke was simply referencing what his team -- not necessarily what he -- thought about Carpenter. Greinke did not "call Carpenter out" as the OP says.

Even if he did, so what? Does any of that crap matter when the players are out there playing? Absolutely not. All of this BS is just the work of the media trying to create a story.

jmbbarata
    nhl
    jmbbarata's Avatar Become A Pro!

Hi guys,yestarday the game was very good,and as I expected Texas won Detroit.Today we have two games,the first between Brewers and Cardinals,and I hope that the result will be BREWERS 1.59 BWIN (decimal odd).
    The second between Detroit and Texas.I think that the Rangers are stronger than the Tigers,so,Texas 1.70 BWIN (decimal odd).

jagaf22
    jagaf22's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 28

Perhaps anxiety boy should of taken another Xanax instead of popping off before pitching game 1.

hawley
    hawley's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 79

Should not of opened his mouth then gone out on the mound and performed the way he did today.

lunchbawks
    NB#
    lunchbawks's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 173

no benches clearing brawl yet?

comeon

thirtytwo
    thirtytwo's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 72

Greinke can suck a dik. 4 HRs in 2 postseason starts. Cy Young my ass c0cksucker...