hels
    hels's Avatar Become A Pro!

Would baseball be better if three was more video review?

I know that they have the ability to review whether a ball is inside the foul pole or not. This is a great advancement with technology use. However, would it be better if say there was a 5th umpire who watched the game from a tv. He would be able to talk to the 4 man crew. He would call balls and strikes instantaneously. On close run plays such as the attempted steal we just saw in the Phils/Cards game he would be able to overturn the decision seeing as the foot definitely touched the bag first and did not come off. Thoughts?

doublej95
    Co Power Poster 2011
    doublej95's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 19

NO, baseball has done just fine all these years with out it. Sure calls get missed from time to time but thats human error. The same human error that makes a good baseball player fail 70% of the time.

hels

Quote Originally Posted by doublej95 View Post
    NO, baseball has done just fine all these years with out it. Sure calls get missed from time to time but thats human error. The same human error that makes a good baseball player fail 70% of the time.
    I see your point. What's your stance on checking whether or not a home run should be checked or not?

Mikail
    Fader of GOY'S
    Mikail's Avatar Become A Pro!

They need it for postseason. Too much on the line to be getting calls wrong.

doublej95
    Co Power Poster 2011
    doublej95's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 19

Quote Originally Posted by hels View Post

I see your point. What's your stance on checking whether or not a home run should be checked or not?

Old school once again, they should only confer with the umps on the field to see if one of umps had a better view.

stevenash
    stevenash's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 32319

Would tennis be better off without the electronic eye thing?

RudyRuetigger
    Leave of absence until March Madness
    RudyRuetigger's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 53

everything should be reviewed. a computer takes just as long as an ump making his dumb fukkin signals behind the plate plus add in the time for complaints and its a no brainer a quit check of the strike zone will easily determine balls and strikes.

here is a hint:

rules are meant to be there for a reason. if a player catches a fly ball it should be an out, not an "I missed the play and thought it was trapped". the human error is the actual players playing the game. rules are suppose to be concrete.

ill stand on the "human error, part of the game side" as soon as they want to start introducing robots to actually take the place of players.

PAULYPOKER
    I slipped Tricky Dick a hit of LSD!
    PAULYPOKER's Avatar Become A Pro!

There are not many avenues for the MLB to be controled when need be, if you know what I mean, so on this note alone it will never happen.

Glitch
    Glitch's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5224

everything should be reviewed- either a runner beats the tag or he doesn't; either its a ball or a strike. umps and refs have way too much power as it stands now.

it would pervert baseball and perhaps change a game that is a classic but it would improve it and keep it more honest.

hawkeye is needed in tennis aswell. andy roddick can tell the lines judge to get off his fat ass or whatever he wants to say to him and not worry about shotty calls that he has no chance to challenge as a repercussion.

hels

Quote Originally Posted by doublej95 View Post
    Old school once again, they should only confer with the umps on the field to see if one of umps had a better view.
    Last night incarceratedbob (who if you aren't following I would recommend as he breaks all sports news before anyone else) tweeted that the home plate ump was looking at an electronic device when in the Cards/Phils game the 6 umpires were discussing whether the ball in the outfield was caught or not. Right now I'm wishing I went back and pvr'd it but that was the rumour.

With the ability of the video review the correct call could have been determined in seconds. Let's say incarceratedbob is correct, and the ump was watching with an electronic device (I do doubt he actually was) but is this ok? They overturned the 2nd base ump's call and made the correct decision. So let's imagine it was because of the ump's electronic device, was this acceptable? If you're still old school that's ok.... I'm just for video review obviously.

hels

Here was his retweet as I just asked him:
    incarceratedbob incarcerated bob @

<s>@</s>hels The Umps where huddled u couldn't see what Hernandez had in his hand until they broke huddle (Baseball at that time)
    Last edited by hels; 10-05-11 at 08:09 PM.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Baseball is dead period
    No one watching it

hels

Quote Originally Posted by jjgold View Post
    Baseball is dead period No one watching it
    there's no other sports on tonight. You gotta be watching the games.

Mikail
    Fader of GOY'S
    Mikail's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by jjgold View Post
    Baseball is dead period
    No one watching it

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE
    pavyracer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 410

Yes more video reviews. Every pitch should be reviewed. And the games need to start at 8 am and finish at 11 pm so we can make sure every move in the field is videotaped and reviewed so the right call is made.

phillybadboy
    phillybadboy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3864

Quote Originally Posted by pavyracer View Post
    Yes more video reviews. Every pitch should be reviewed. And the games need to start at 8 am and finish at 11 pm so we can make sure every move in the field is videotaped and reviewed so the right call is made.
    sbr'sharp' right here

mh217
    mh217's Avatar Become A Pro!

why not just give 1 challenge per game..that wont slow the game down much and it will make a huge difference...no more blatant mistakes..no more perfect games being robbed...no more awful calls..just 1 challenge per team per game...we're talking maybe a few mins extra per game thats it.

G's pks
    Update your status
    G's pks's Avatar Become A Pro!

NO! It is much harder to fix the games with replay..its killing football...the ability for the refs to fix the games is very important! Ever watch any of those MAC conference football games?

Baseball to slow and long already...