griz
    FEB 2012 POTM
    griz's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 607

What is the best way to handle this situation?

During phone conversation on Friday, during which we were going over my profile in the HR system, my boss let it slip that I am underpaid. In fact, he stated "It should be a crime how little we pay you."

Now, I have performed well enough this year to be referred to as the top guy on the team. I am a disgruntled employee after hearing this. What is best time and fashion to bring this up again and demand to be paid AT LEAST with co workers (who I am out performing) ?

End of year is coming, bonuses and reviews (raises) etc. But its in back of my mind all day every day after boss said that

Thanks in advance for advice from other posters in the work force who may have had deal with similar situations or have had the raise talk at all. This is first go round for me.

laclippers504
    laclippers504's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 179

Be thankful you got a job. Were cutting good people because they are making demands. A lot of good workers out there will work for lower wage right now. Just my take.

celtics12
    celtics12's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1637

get a list together of all your qualities and what you have done that exceeds expectations. set up a meeting with your direct supervisor/boss and explain to them how you feel. pretty much the only way is to let them know how you feel, keep "bugging" them about it. make yourself look like an asset to them, and let them kno what you want to make. ive always foudn it better to give them a number such as "i want to be making xx-xx" as a range, instead of a set number; obviously the lower amount being what youd like, and if they agree and middle it, you win their also. but just make sure they really need you, or theyll either laugh and say no, or can your ass. thats me advice as a bottom level employee at a fortune 20 company, 2 years inot it i am now a project manager by doing what i just told you

VegasInsider
    Update your status
    VegasInsider's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 18

Make sure you have proof that you deserve to be paid equal/more than your co-workers. For whatever reason, they decided to pay you less. Maybe your desired salary on your application/interview was less than theirs? But, at some point...something happened. You better have a damn good presentation when asking for more money. You can't walk into the office and just say "I produce more than so-and-so...I want to be paid equal"

You've got to do some research and get hard numbers.

griz
    FEB 2012 POTM

thanks for the advice guys. i will do some more thinking here

Tree Rollins
    Tree Rollins's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1029

Quote Originally Posted by VegasInsider View Post
    Make sure you have proof that you deserve to be paid equal/more than your co-workers. For whatever reason, they decided to pay you less. Maybe your desired salary on your application/interview was less than theirs? But, at some point...something happened. You better have a damn good presentation when asking for more money. You can't walk into the office and just say "I produce more than so-and-so...I want to be paid equal" You've got to do some research and get hard numbers.
    Sharp post.

jarvol
    jarvol's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3670

It is somewhat irrelevant what your co-workers make and you should not reference that. You should easily be able to document how much money you either make or save your company annually. That is all that matters.....the bottom line. Show up with a list of undisputed accomplishments and go from there.

priskilla22
    priskilla22's Avatar Become A Pro!

Isn't it illegal for a boss to tell you what other employees make?

At the very least it is frowned upon, so I'm not sure I would even mention what others are paid.

SBR Cynthia
    SBR Cynthia's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 175

Hey Griz, as an ex - recruiter, I wanted to send some feedback your way. Negotiating salary is the most important piece of the employment process and for many it is the most difficult. The situation you are in is particularly challenging because your boss spoke out loud and got you thinking. As the end of the year approaches and reviews/raises are given, you might want to really be in the know about how the process works.

Since you are lucky that your boss is honest and forthcoming, hit him up with the million dollar question. Approach the subject naturally and open up with the door that he opened, "Last week when you mentioned my salary, it got me thinking of what I need to do in order to secure an increase this year..." Make it proactive but let him be the one who controls the information. If your above par, reassurance will follow BUT if you are not or if the company is not financially stable enough to afford raises this year then he will let you know not to get your hopes up. IF he says "great job" and money is coming your way, ask what the customary pay raise scale is 10%, 20%, etc. Do the numbers and if that is not enough, then put your expectations on the table. Many employers get overwhelmed when employees ask for raises they "think" they deserve without putting research and thought into it. Know what the pay scale for your position is in your city and compare to where you are at now and where you want to be.

With more money comes added responsibility so be prepared to answer career path questions on what's your next step, etc... No BS, be honest about what you want to do. This might be a stepping stone job so if 2 years is all you will put in, target goals that you can obtain in 2 years.

Hope it helps..

crustyme
    dont i look killer?
    crustyme's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 39

go postal.

make them pay.

High3rEl3m3nt
    SBR's 7 figure Contractor
    High3rEl3m3nt's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4134

Not trying to be a dick, but there is some horrible advice in here...maybe one helpful post. As someone mentioned, you need to find your actual market worth, your perceived market worth to the company, and the plausibility of you working for a competitor. When and if you do discuss a raise, I strongly recommend presenting yourself and your case solely upon the grounds of your specialized value. What makes what you do better than fellow employees or prospective employees? How hard is it to find another employee, also think along the lines of how hard is it for competitors, to offer what you offer? If you're just having some great numbers this year, or if it could appear as though that's the case, I strongly recommend waiting until these numbers reflect a long-term consistent pattern, though you may already be there. Further, you should also do your best to find out the financial health of your company...healthy then go for it, struggling, then don't. Anyway, wish you the best...I swear to god you better not be a pizza delivery guy! With out giving too much detail, what kind of work do you do?

High3rEl3m3nt
    SBR's 7 figure Contractor
    High3rEl3m3nt's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4134

sbr Cynthia's post is not bad either

priskilla22
    priskilla22's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by High3rEl3m3nt View Post
    sbr Cynthia's post is not bad either
    aww, my advice is bad?

boneheaded1
    boneheaded1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1081

Some good ideas but SBR Cynthia has the right of it.

spankie
    Long Live Rodney!
    spankie's Avatar Become A Pro!

I would tread lightly.

I have seen in the past employers who have done the exact same thing, and then when they do give you a raise, they use it against you. It can get ugly depending on what type of work environment you are in, but I would say always tread lightly when asking for a raise. If they are pushing it on you, most likely they will expect even more from you.

laclippers504
    laclippers504's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 179

Quote Originally Posted by spankie View Post
    I would tread lightly.

I have seen in the past employers who have done the exact same thing, and then when they do give you a raise, they use it against you. It can get ugly depending on what type of work environment you are in, but I would say always tread lightly when asking for a raise. If they are pushing it on you, most likely they will expect even more from you.
    Exactly. A lot of qualified people out of work right now for that exact reason

griz
    FEB 2012 POTM

Quote Originally Posted by SBR Cynthia View Post
    Hey Griz, as an ex - recruiter, I wanted to send some feedback your way. Negotiating salary is the most important piece of the employment process and for many it is the most difficult. The situation you are in is particularly challenging because your boss spoke out loud and got you thinking. As the end of the year approaches and reviews/raises are given, you might want to really be in the know about how the process works. Since you are lucky that your boss is honest and forthcoming, hit him up with the million dollar question. Approach the subject naturally and open up with the door that he opened, "Last week when you mentioned my salary, it got me thinking of what I need to do in order to secure an increase this year..." Make it proactive but let him be the one who controls the information. If your above par, reassurance will follow BUT if you are not or if the company is not financially stable enough to afford raises this year then he will let you know not to get your hopes up. IF he says "great job" and money is coming your way, ask what the customary pay raise scale is 10%, 20%, etc. Do the numbers and if that is not enough, then put your expectations on the table. Many employers get overwhelmed when employees ask for raises they "think" they deserve without putting research and thought into it. Know what the pay scale for your position is in your city and compare to where you are at now and where you want to be. With more money comes added responsibility so be prepared to answer career path questions on what's your next step, etc... No BS, be honest about what you want to do. This might be a stepping stone job so if 2 years is all you will put in, target goals that you can obtain in 2 years. Hope it helps..
    thanks cynthia... good to know

griz
    FEB 2012 POTM

Quote Originally Posted by spankie View Post
    I would tread lightly. I have seen in the past employers who have done the exact same thing, and then when they do give you a raise, they use it against you. It can get ugly depending on what type of work environment you are in, but I would say always tread lightly when asking for a raise. If they are pushing it on you, most likely they will expect even more from you.
    good point

the more i think about it, the more i wish he had said nothing. now, its bothering me through daily job functions. i think i am just going to collect bonus and raise at end of year and if raise is not enough, try to jump ship.

griz
    FEB 2012 POTM

Quote Originally Posted by High3rEl3m3nt View Post
    Not trying to be a dick, but there is some horrible advice in here...maybe one helpful post. As someone mentioned, you need to find your actual market worth, your perceived market worth to the company, and the plausibility of you working for a competitor. When and if you do discuss a raise, I strongly recommend presenting yourself and your case solely upon the grounds of your specialized value. What makes what you do better than fellow employees or prospective employees? How hard is it to find another employee, also think along the lines of how hard is it for competitors, to offer what you offer? If you're just having some great numbers this year, or if it could appear as though that's the case, I strongly recommend waiting until these numbers reflect a long-term consistent pattern, though you may already be there. Further, you should also do your best to find out the financial health of your company...healthy then go for it, struggling, then don't. Anyway, wish you the best...I swear to god you better not be a pizza delivery guy! With out giving too much detail, what kind of work do you do?
    rather not get into it... but ill give u a hint... u know those new "Cooks" they have on the KFC Commercials...

unusialsusp5
    unusialsusp5's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3601

but all you do is daydream about gambling all day at work. so if anything you should be waived for a cheaper employee who doesn't get distracted by sports like you.

griz
    FEB 2012 POTM

Quote Originally Posted by unusialsusp5 View Post
    but all you do is daydream about gambling all day at work. so if anything you should be waived for a cheaper employee who doesn't get distracted by sports like you.
    sukk my dik

unusialsusp5
    unusialsusp5's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3601

the truth hurts. you sound unemployable and soon will be.

stevek173
    stevek173's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5958

Find a dark secret on the person responsible for your wage. Threaten them with it.

Double salary guaranteed.

taxer
    taxer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 501

i would wait another 6 weeks and work even harder , if you ask for a raise now you will look like a guy that talks to him just to find a way to move up in the world and you may get on his bad side

bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by stevek173 View Post
    Find a dark secret on the person responsible for your wage. Threaten them with it.

Double salary guaranteed.
    I'll have to keep that in mind when my review comes up

All joking aside I believe in the "you get what you pay for" formula.

JimmysEgo
    JimmysEgo's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 30

the boss didn't really say the rest of your team makes more than you, he just said you are underpaid. he might have meant that you are underpaid in your field, but you could be one of the higher paid employees in your department. maybe your company just doesn't pay competitively.

vinny89121
    vinny89121's Avatar Become A Pro!

griz, i know how to answer your question. on friday when u get paid, throw your whole paycheck on 1 game. if it loses, ask for a raise. if it wins, just hold off

griz
    FEB 2012 POTM

Quote Originally Posted by vinny89121 View Post
    griz, i know how to answer your question. on friday when u get paid, throw your whole paycheck on 1 game. if it loses, ask for a raise. if it wins, just hold off
    good call i was thinkin same thing

300 on FLA it is

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE
    pavyracer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 410

Quit. If he wants you he will double your salary.

Ice House
    Ice House's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by taxer View Post
    i would wait another 6 weeks and work even harder , if you ask for a raise now you will look like a guy that talks to him just to find a way to move up in the world and you may get on his bad side
    You want a raise ? you got to "act as if" act as if you are the big swinging dick of the company. And
    ABC always be closing. Be casual aggressive. aggresive in your message but polite in your delivery

wantitall4moi
    wantitall4moi's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3834

If it is a corporation then I am sure they have a cap on how much of a raise you can get. My wife is salaried and her max pay raise is 5% per year, thats it. But they can offer bonuses beyond that for performance, but even those have strict guide lines. She doesnt have to work but she has been doing it for so long she wouldnt know what else to do. She makes a decent amount of money per year and gets 7 weeks paid vacation so in essence she works less than 10 months a year counting the holidays she gets. So she stays with it.

But if it is a ciompany with an HR department they already know everything you can say. And they should also give yearly reviews. So you should be familiar with them, unless you just started there. In which case youre SOL since they started you on a low ball and cant really change it now.

But things like his are why bigger corporations dont like having people talk about how much they make because it is so structured and so convoluted it just pisses people off when they find out some secretary is making more than they do as a junior executive. Usually because she is worth mre. But they dont see it that way.

So I would imagine the best you would do is get the max raise they as a company allow, and I would lay 2-1 you might not even get that because to get a full raise you need to exceed goals by a lot, at least in most well known big name companies.

Gee
    Gee's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2327

Apply somewhere else.

See what they would pay you.

Use this as leverage.

Its a pain to have to do, but I've seen many of the admin staff and even other professional staff in my company and immediate circle of friends do this successfully. They usually bump up what the other company would pay by $5 - 10K when they ask for the raise though!

Alternatively, figure out what you brought in the last year and see how it correlates to your salary. The golden rule is generally that you should bring in 3x your salary - 1 share for you, 1 share for the boss and 1 share for overheads. If you are doing better than this, you really deserve a raise.

Tree Rollins
    Tree Rollins's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1029

Pull a knife on him...if that doesn't work, pull a gun on him.
    Last edited by Tree Rollins; 09-28-11 at 10:38 PM.

ChuckyTheGoat
    ChuckyTheGoat's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 24857

If you don't have a nice set of ...you're expendable. Be careful.

manny24
    pay Bobby
    manny24's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 649

Quote Originally Posted by Tree Rollins View Post
    Pull a knife on him...if that doesn't work, pull a gun on him.
    sharp post.