Masu485
    Masu485's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12813

How do you become a trader?

Like quick buying and selling? Can you do it via website? or do you have to call your broker everytime you buy or sell. How do you get started?

Waterstpub87
    Slan go foill
    Waterstpub87's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7292

By opening an internet brokerage account. Examples include scottrade, etrade, optionsexpress, tdameritrade and share builder. If you want to do quick buying and selling, I would look for the lowest commissions possible otherwise you will get eaten alive by commissions.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Masu if you do not know the answer to that question in this day and age you do not belong trading stocks at all

Stick to lifting weights kid
    Points Awarded:

wtf gave jjgold 2 SBR Point(s) for this post.

Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: jarvol

VegasInsider
    Update your status
    VegasInsider's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 18

Quote Originally Posted by jjgold View Post
    Masu if you do not know the answer to that question in this day and age you do not belong trading stocks at all

Stick to lifting weights kid
    JJ said it best. If you had to ask this question, then chances are you'll lose your shirt in the market. You'd be better off paying a financial adviser a yearly fee to handle your business.

edawg
    edawg's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4931

Stick with gambling on sports same thing and dealing with cooler people

nenad
    nenad's Avatar Become A Pro!

probbably you will lose due to fees

19th Hole
    19th Hole's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10288

Convert to denomic Islam,
    Pray to Allan,
    Attend terrorist training camp,
    make love to goats
    and hate everyone you see.
    Oh...Trader not traitor...

ACoochy
    Am i serious? Are you serious?
    ACoochy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5324

Stop giving the kid a hard time guys...Everyone gotta start from somewhere...

tatommack
    cowboys make the playoffs
    tatommack's Avatar Become A Pro!

You need 25k if you plan on buying and selling. If you know nothing I'd start out with a grand. I use td amertrade you can get lucky I bought 500.00 in a penny stock cashed out on FDA news for 35000.00 bio pharmas

VegasInsider
    Update your status
    VegasInsider's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 18

Quote Originally Posted by tatommack View Post
    You need 25k if you plan on buying and selling. If you know nothing I'd start out with a grand. I use td amertrade you can get lucky I bought 500.00 in a penny stock cashed out on FDA news for 35000.00 bio pharmas

jjgold

Oh My

I wonder why guys lose everything they own

STOP

Domestic
    Domestic's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1756

Oh My I wonder why guys lose everything they own STOP

mdemps9190
    mdemps9190's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7237

Quote Originally Posted by tatommack View Post
    This isn't really true. As long as you don't do a lot of buying in one day, you can trade options with well under 25k. I do that and it has been very good to me. Options are very volatile and you need to know about a lot of dynamics in regards to theta, and the other greeks though.

pico
    USC ml
    pico's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1634

same as gambling

griz
    FEB 2012 POTM
    griz's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 607

this fukkin site is the greatest place on the internet. u gotta be fukkin kidding me with some of this shit.

yea buddy start trading stocks that gonna get u rich u will lose ur house in a year

listen pal, go to school, crack the books, do well. get a good job, put 10% of check in 401k. retire like a king. gamble DISCRETIONARY income. u will thank me later

RGG
    RGG's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12

I have an account with think or swim. I'd suggest checking them out. There's a lot of money to be made with small on the rise bio-tech companies.

mdemps9190
    mdemps9190's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7237

ToS is good. If you want to day-trade though I would recommend optionshouse. Much lower fees than thinkorswim and equal analytics. ToS has great streaming charts though.

RGG
    RGG's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12

For daytrading, LightSpeed is also very good. If he deposits enough, they'll give him a discount rate for commissions. That's how you amplify your gains.

But yes, charts on TOS are second to none.

jjgold

You will get chewed alive trading stocks

I struggle to break even

FreeFall
    FreeFall's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2391

You have to realize that insider trading is very real and happens everyday.

jjgold

Tough to get inside though
    Get caught and trouble

racer43
    racer43's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1103

If you are struggling to break even or care about insider trading only trade the markets. Use SPY, QQQ or DIA the market ETF's. They are easier to read and predict whats coming. First thing you must do Masu is learn how to read a candle stick chart. If you cant read a chart you shouldnt be trading. Lots of good websites out there to help you learn. Think or Swim is second to none for options trading IMO ( straddles, iron condors, put and call spreads, butterfly spreads) Not sure where your from Masu but the three trades a week rule only applies to U.S. traders.... if your american you need a balance of at least 25K to make more than three trades a week. Good luck if you choose to pursue trading as a job. I would recommend you paper trade for at least six months before taking the plunge. I paper traded for a year before I quit my job two years ago and I have done very well since. BOL

milwaukee mike
    milwaukee mike's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7585

find cheap/free commissions or you will get clobbered.
    not hard to make 6 trades a day x $10/trade x 250 days, that's $15,000/year in commissions! switch to fidelity or somewhere else that offers $5 or less trades with a bunch of free ones and you will have a huge difference.

GemSportsPicks
    GemSportsPicks's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 43

You will get chewed alive trading stocks

I struggle to break even
    This is more of a Forex rule then stock rule, but principle is the same and its extremely simple...

If your getting murdered, its probably due to you falling in love with a losing stock..

Try something called the 3 to 1... This is for trading only not investing... This simply means you go into a position with a goal of coming out 3 ahead, but if you go 1 down you close the position and cut the loss... Obviously your goals will depend on what charts you trade on... The minute chart the hourly daily weekly monthly etc...

Buy at 10 with goal of 11, then that means you would sell at 9.67, on the losing side... Try this for a few weeks, it tends to work pretty well, because of psychology of traders and self fulfilling prophecy, Ride your winners and cut your losers.

ON side note, if your looking for great in and out buy right now to scalp, check out FRO, they are in Oil Transportation, there entire industry has taken a bath in the last year... They have tons of debt, but all of the companies debt is too their billionaire owner. This one tends to float back and forth between 5 and 5.80 on a weekly basis... Check it out and scalp the shit out of it.

jjgold

Quote Originally Posted by GemSportsPicks View Post
    This is more of a Forex rule then stock rule, but principle is the same and its extremely simple...

If your getting murdered, its probably due to you falling in love with a losing stock..

Try something called the 3 to 1... This is for trading only not investing... This simply means you go into a position with a goal of coming out 3 ahead, but if you go 1 down you close the position and cut the loss... Obviously your goals will depend on what charts you trade on... The minute chart the hourly daily weekly monthly etc...

Buy at 10 with goal of 11, then that means you would sell at 9.67, on the losing side... Try this for a few weeks, it tends to work pretty well, because of psychology of traders and self fulfilling prophecy, Ride your winners and cut your losers.

ON side note, if your looking for great in and out buy right now to scalp, check out FRO, they are in Oil Transportation, there entire industry has taken a bath in the last year... They have tons of debt, but all of the companies debt is too their billionaire owner. This one tends to float back and forth between 5 and 5.80 on a weekly basis... Check it out and scalp the shit out of it.
    Yes not a bad idea, I think most common mistake traders make is holding loses too long and not using tight stop loses.

wtf
    wtf's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 61

Quote Originally Posted by griz View Post
    this fukkin site is the greatest place on the internet. u gotta be fukkin kidding me with some of this shit. yea buddy start trading stocks that gonna get u rich u will lose ur house in a year listen pal, go to school, crack the books, do well. get a good job, put 10% of check in 401k. retire like a king. gamble DISCRETIONARY income. u will thank me later
    this is not bullshit

i know a guy-a grown 40 year old man that this happened too, he literally lost his house trading those fuking things online

racer43
    racer43's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1103

agree 100% with Gemsports. Profit vs loss is key, set stop losses and stick with them. On the other side what i like to do once my target price is hit to the upside is set a trailing stop to protect my profits and let the market sell me out of the position.

I wouldnt recommend Frontline to a new trader tho, this thing just keeps dead cat bouncing and most newbs would end up becoming bag holders. It doesnt really bounce between 5 and 5.80 on a weekly basis it has the past week thats it. Now SPY on the other hand has developed a nice trading channel between 112 and 122 since the 8th of August and should continue to do so until the trading range breaks above or below that support and resistance.

GemSportsPicks

Yes not a bad idea, I think most common mistake traders make is holding loses too long and not using tight stop loses.

It absolutely is, it has to do with the emotional attachment one gets when purchasing a stock... A wise man once told me though... Just cause it goes down and you sell, doesn't mean you can't buy it back at an even cheaper price after reevaluatiing , probably the best advice I ever got.

GemSportsPicks

Quote Originally Posted by racer43 View Post
    agree 100% with Gemsports. Profit vs loss is key, set stop losses and stick with them. On the other side what i like to do once my target price is hit to the upside is set a trailing stop to protect my profits and let the market sell me out of the position.

I wouldnt recommend Frontline to a new trader tho, this thing just keeps dead cat bouncing and most newbs would end up becoming bag holders. It doesnt really bounce between 5 and 5.80 on a weekly basis it has the past week thats it. Now SPY on the other hand has developed a nice trading channel between 112 and 122 since the 8th of August and should continue to do so until the trading range breaks above or below that support and resistance.

Yea Fro is more if you have some expierence... if you carefully watch short interest, you can catch the pop when the Shorts cover, and feel the squeeze, it has happened a few times the last month, I've scalped 10 to 20 % each time... But that being said yes its been in TIMBER mode for quite some time now... Thats what happens when your Billionaire CEO makes a public statment saying, the shipping industry is terrible and will not bounce back for 5 years.

My own Opinion on this, is it was strategic on his part... The weaker companies will die off, then companies like Fro, and a few other big boys, will get the other companies ships and business at a bargain down the road... Right now the industry suffers from over supply and lack of demand... ONce the US realizes we need to replace the oil reserves we used, the tanker indsutry will be in the drivers seat.

Just my own little feeling on it...

Great long term buy is EMMS...

Masu485
    Masu485's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12813

WTF, after reading some of these posts, it sounds like gambling offshore is more profitable

19th Hole
    19th Hole's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10288

Quote Originally Posted by GemSportsPicks View Post
    It absolutely is, it has to do with the emotional attachment one gets when purchasing a stock... A wise man once told me though... Just cause it goes down and you sell, doesn't mean you can't buy it back at an even cheaper price after reevaluatiing , probably the best advice I ever got.

Thanks for passing it along.

dmtrader
    dmtrader's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2107

fees and execution are everything

JJ - if you are using a stop loss the pros will only run it to get in low and then the stock/future/commodity will then rebound