Thurgood
    Thurgood's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 274

Moving to Vegas Dilemma

Old college buddy of mine just sold his business, signed a 6 month lease and is moving to Vegas with a huge roll to pursue professional poker. He said I am more than welcome to come along for the ride. Both of us are in our 20's, no wife, no kids, so I am really considering this opportunity but I would have to leave my dog behind.

Part of me feels like this would be a once in a lifetime opportunity. My friend expects no rent or anything and really wants someone around to take in the city and party with. The other part of me feels my dog would probably never bond with anyone else. The dog would stay with my parents but they really don't get along with my dog. Thoughts?

dfberger23
    dfberger23's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 406

You really love your dog.

TWEETS
    57% NCAAF
    TWEETS's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 391

Is that you in the picture? Because you sure sound like a woman

Thurgood

Quote Originally Posted by dfberger23 View Post
    You really love your dog.
    Lol, would this be a no brainer for you?

Holtgetsback
    Holtgetsback's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1402

Time to put ol' Max down and follow your dreams, kid.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 4 times . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: aggieshawn, Glitch, Mikeyanks23, and beanbag

frizzelli
    frizzelli's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12

No better place to ask for advice on a life changing decision than on an internet gambling forum with a bunch of degenerates.
    Points Awarded:

saints1856 gave frizzelli 2 SBR Point(s) for this post.

teaserpleaser
    teaserpleaser's Avatar Become A Pro!

No dog would be a dealbreaker for me.

dfberger23
    dfberger23's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 406

Quote Originally Posted by Thurgood View Post
    Lol, would this be a no brainer for you?
    How often in life is your only commitment a dog? I would go for it. And why couldn't you bring your dog?

Thurgood

Quote Originally Posted by TWEETS View Post
    Is that you in the picture? Because you sure sound like a woman
    Naw it's some girl on CollegeHumor. Does this dog being my first dog make any difference?

SportsMushroom
    SportsMushroom's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6839

why cant you take your dog with you?

TWEETS
    57% NCAAF
    TWEETS's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 391

Naw it's some girl on CollegeHumor. Does this dog being my first dog make any difference?
    wow, I could sure take that comment the wrong way...what did you go with your first goat?

griz
    FEB 2012 POTM
    griz's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 607

what kind of dog is it and where r u located? i love dogs and hate to hear one that might be in a place where he needs a home.

i am a pit owner myself

Thurgood

Quote Originally Posted by SportsMushroom View Post
    why cant you take your dog with you?
    Very restricted breed. Virtually impossible to find an apartment that would allow this dog, so it would have to live in a house and that's not an option right now.

Thurgood

I guess the answer is pretty obvious. Good thing about the situation is my friend has all the commitment with the lease and I can peace back home if things don't go well.

SportsMushroom
    SportsMushroom's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6839

Very restricted breed. Virtually impossible to find an apartment that would allow this dog, so it would have to live in a house and that's not an option right now.
    dude I have no clue what I am talking about, but from what I ve read on this forum, its dirt cheap to rent a house in vegas right now, just talk your friend into getting a house, tell him about how much more convenient its gonna be, not having people living above, below, right and left from you and you having to walk on eggshells every hour of the day, tell him about the awesome parties you can throw at a house etc

tell him he'll get to see your dog bite a chunk out of your annoying neighbours ass

Hoja Verdes
    Broncos Under 7.5 Wins -105
    Hoja Verdes's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 169

20 years the dog will be long gone, probably the one after it as well. But you'll always look back and kick yourself for not seizing this opportunity while you were young. I feel like I blinked and went from age 25 living it up and having girls begging me to call them to age 33 and a wife and kid, lucky to get laid once a month.

Full Time Hobo
    In a Box
    Full Time Hobo's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3676

Go with your friend. Leave the Dog with the parents.

Figure out if you can work the dog thing out while you're in Vegas and bring it back if thats the case.

Thurgood

Quote Originally Posted by SportsMushroom View Post
    dude I have no clue what I am talking about, but from what I ve read on this forum, its dirt cheap to rent a house in vegas right now, just talk your friend into getting a house, tell him about how much more convenient its gonna be, not having people living above, below, right and left from you and you having to walk on eggshells every hour of the day, tell him about the awesome parties you can throw at a house etc

tell him he'll get to see your dog bite a chunk out of your annoying neighbours ass
    Friend has already signed the lease and I guess wanted something as close to the Strip as possible. Then again if we rented a house, might be a little unfair to the dog leaving it at home all the time and bringing the hood rats around.

My sister had a little party pad a few years back and now that dog doesn't really care for her.

Thurgood

Quote Originally Posted by Hoja Verdes View Post
    20 years the dog will be long gone, probably the one after it as well. But you'll always look back and kick yourself for not seizing this opportunity while you were young. I feel like I blinked and went from age 25 living it up and having girls begging me to call them to age 33 and a wife and kid, lucky to get laid once a month.
    This scares the crap outta me. Friend's brother is working retail $11/hr and both of us are like we never want that. As my man 50 once said, get busy livin' or get busy dyin'

sweethook
    sweethook's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10452

i love my dog

aggieshawn
    SBR youtube Channels
    aggieshawn's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 1622

I am just glad your mother is not factoring into this decision.

laclippers504
    laclippers504's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 179

Stay with the dog. Vegas is the devil

ChuckyTheGoat
    ChuckyTheGoat's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 24869

Better Q = what sort of nirvana life do u live where u have no career path and no need for income?

Fuckin A...move to Vegas, let me move in w/ your parents and live rent-free. I love dogs. I promise to walk him daily and treat him like a king.

Deal?

gauchojake
    Have Some Asthma
    gauchojake's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 13188

I can't stay in Vegas for more than 2 nights...not sure how anyone lives there.

Thurgood

Quote Originally Posted by laclippers504 View Post
    Stay with the dog. Vegas is the devil
    Yeah we gotta watch out for each other because I hear Vegas has a bad drug problem.

MC PICKS
    Update your status
    MC PICKS's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 265

Tough decision, i feel ya pal, I got 3 pits. I guess i would say leave the dog with your parents, at least it would be with someone you know and would still be your dog you could see when you visited them

Hoja Verdes
    Broncos Under 7.5 Wins -105
    Hoja Verdes's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 169

Get a part time service industry job on the strip making peanuts, use it to network and work your way up. If it sucks, quit. But if you've got half a brain and don't look like a fat retard like most guys here, you can get promoted to a job with good tips and hot coworker talent. If he's gonna truly take prof. poker seriously, then you'll need something to occupy your time or you'll just get strung out and go broke and end up moving back in with your parents anyway. Last word of advice: just do it. If you get out there and don't like it, you can always move home. But you can't ever get back the.missed opportunity.

Thurgood

Quote Originally Posted by Hoja Verdes View Post
    Get a part time service industry job on the strip making peanuts, use it to network and work your way up. If it sucks, quit. But if you've got half a brain and don't look like a fat retard like most guys here, you can get promoted to a job with good tips and hot coworker talent. If he's gonna truly take prof. poker seriously, then you'll need something to occupy your time or you'll just get strung out and go broke and end up moving back in with your parents anyway. Last word of advice: just do it. If you get out there and don't like it, you can always move home. But you can't ever get back the.missed opportunity.
    Yeah I think both of us are considering jobs for back up. I've warned him about Vegas poker because I have way more trips under my belt and I know those poker rooms are full of cheats. Local players all protect each other so I think my buddy will have to break into one of those groups. I think he will be focusing on tourneys in an attempt to avoid the shady players.

I have my airfare booked so I am pretty excited.

clynnm17
    clynnm17's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 269

i just lost my dog about 6 months ago. and he meant the world with me. If you ****** with my dog I swear I would kill you. I would find a way to bring the dog. Just that simple

Thurgood

Nothing is set in stone man. My friend and I have never lived together before. Maybe we end up hating each other or maybe I go bust and end up back home. At least with my parents the dog is with trusted people and has my mom's dog to play with. The dog has a yard and unlimited food and water.

I just don't want to wake up 5 years from now wondering how things might have been if I skip the opportunity.

Plus, Vegas in your 20's is a complete different animal from going in your 40's or 50's. You can't go back in time.

TheCentaur
    TheCentaur's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 68

Yeah I think both of us are considering jobs for back up. I've warned him about Vegas poker because I have way more trips under my belt and I know those poker rooms are full of cheats. Local players all protect each other so I think my buddy will have to break into one of those groups. I think he will be focusing on tourneys in an attempt to avoid the shady players.
    At no limit tables? Haven't encountered that too much myself.

Sounds like great fun to move out to Vegas and live it up but:
    -You may not do so well financially at poker
    -You are in some prime earning years and you won't want to grind it out at poker forever. What are you going to do at 35 with only poker experience?
    -Lots of pretty girls out there but probably not much quality
    -When you go on a losing streak, your buddy is getting on your nerves, and Vegas has gotten extremely old (this will happen fast) you will never miss anything more in your life than your poor, innocent, loving dog.

Thurgood

Quote Originally Posted by TheCentaur View Post
    At no limit tables? Haven't encountered that too much myself.

Sounds like great fun to move out to Vegas and live it up but:
    -You may not do so well financially at poker
    -You are in some prime earning years and you won't want to grind it out at poker forever. What are you going to do at 35 with only poker experience?
    -Lots of pretty girls out there but probably not much quality
    -When you go on a losing streak, your buddy is getting on your nerves, and Vegas has gotten extremely old (this will happen fast) you will never miss anything more in your life than your poor, innocent, loving dog.
    I've only played poker in Vegas a handful of times but I have had people admit things to me like signaling strong and weak hands with specific bet amounts and betting up pots against non-locals and settling up outside the room. Not so much a worry for me because I'll be at the book and my friend is the one who has the 5 figure BR to conserve.

We are both previous small business owners. He was lucky enough to sell before he had negative equity.

This is not a long-term career. More like let's go out there and see what happens. Heck, if he turns his BR into 6 figures I am sure we will be business partners in something. Most likely one of the reasons why he only signed a 6 month lease.

Both of us have also been fortunate enough to travel the world extensively. Mainly study abroad programs in college but heck I know people who have never left the country 1 time!!! The suburban cookie-cutter life doesn't appeal to us, at least not yet. Haha kind of reminds me of that scene from Old School about having enough time.

Thurgood

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

I would go

Take a shot thurgood

MoreVodkaPlease
    MoreVodkaPlease's Avatar Become A Pro!

lmao these comments are ******* hillarious.... anyway cant you just visit ur freind in vegas, your both going to endup loosing your entire roll, you would have made it by now otherwise

123 Last