griz
    FEB 2012 POTM
    griz's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 607

How concerned are bookies with NBA lockout?

What are some thoughts on the economic impact to bookies and online books with no NBA? Are they in trouble here, perhaps going to have to get tougher on NFL? Or will they just make more with NBA bettors now hammering college harder?

Thanks
    Points Awarded:

SBRtv gave griz 24 SBR Point(s) for this post.

Ace_of_Spades
    Golazo De Riverrrr!
    Ace_of_Spades's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 79

I'm concerned that there will not be a season or perhaps a shortened season.

Domestic
    Domestic's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1756

Also curious for more info on this from experienced guys.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

It has to hurt somewhat because NBA volume at books keeps growing

They will cave in

Players need the money

Ace_of_Spades
    Golazo De Riverrrr!

Hoping a deal comes to fruition in the next meeting(s).

Maniac
    Maniac's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8815

A lot depends on whether the books still haev US customers or not as to how hard an NBA lockout would hit them.

In terms of the major US Sports, for US Books NFL will be their biggest sport in terms of turnover so a locked out NFL season would be more likely to hurt more than the NBA.

For those books who no longer cater to US clients then in the majority of cases NBA would be the higher turnover sport for them (out of the main US sports) as the NBA, and Basketball in general, is alot more popular right across the whole of Europe - Spain, Greece, Italy and Turkey in particular, since these are the countries with the stronger basketball leagues.

Whether a complete lockout of the NBA would actually put any of these books in trouble, in the vast majority of cases I would say it wouldnt - especially if the books have a good Soccer product as Soccer will be the lions share of turnover for practically every book that no longer caters to American players...

unusialsusp5
    unusialsusp5's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3601

college basketball will fill some of the void. and "ugh" boring soccer will fill the rest.

HoulihansTX
    Bowl $ea$on
    HoulihansTX's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 295

People will just bet more college sports.

Humans adapt. We survived the Ice Age, and we will survive 4 months of no NBA. We and the owners are just waiting for the players to start missing checks, then logic prevails.

k13
    k13's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1800

nfl, ncaaf, ncaab, nhl, soccer, tennis, ufc, ....

who cares about the nba...no one will miss it.

blackbeSSt
    blackbeSSt's Avatar Become A Pro!

im sure as long as there are the jjgolds and broke landers of the betting world, they will be just fine

Ace_of_Spades
    Golazo De Riverrrr!

Quote Originally Posted by k13 View Post
    nfl, ncaaf, ncaab, nhl, soccer, tennis, ufc, ....

who cares about the nba...no one will miss it.
    NBA is much better than those 6 sports. Plus, its one of the sports i make money from.

bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

I really don't see the NBA having a season at all this year actually. Some of the current owners bought their teams at a very high price and the math just doesn't add up in regards to the players salaries vs. the profit margins. I feel we going to see the NBA do the same thing the NHL owners did a few years back and suspend the entire season.

hankcream
    hankcream's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5458

It will make NCAAB lines much tighter.

bobbyfk
    Las Vegas Local
    bobbyfk's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1506

Quote Originally Posted by Ace_of_Spades View Post
    NBA is much better than those 6 sports. Plus, its one of the sports i make money from.
    agreed

MC PICKS
    Update your status
    MC PICKS's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 265

Once judges start issueing arrest warrants for deadbeat dads missing child support payments the players will fold like a cheap suit. Ninety % of the players dont manage their money and probably most of that 90% have 30 cell phone bills that they pay for and have 10-20 dependents counting on those checks. NBA players assoc is no where near as powerful as NFL players union, there is NO doubt in my mind there will be a season, it may start a little late is all.

lunchbawks
    NB#
    lunchbawks's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 173

nfl got their sh-t together so will the nba

jrmartin.mig
    jrmartin.mig's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 9124

I hope there is no season, I would love nothing more than another year where Lebron gets no chance at a ring! A shortened season gives him too much of a chance.

frostno98
    frostno98's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 648

Quote Originally Posted by hankcream View Post
    Yep, can see this happening, now that the Oddsmaker has 15 less games to worry about.

Real gamblers should be very concern, since the NBA is the most profitable sport. It's the only sports that you can find a real edge. When betting on team playing back to back, or teams playing one to coast to another coast. Plus, we won't have them late bail games when Golden State, LA, and SAC plays.

I'll probably focus more on the Euro league if this happens, then back to no gambling until the next NFL season. Books do not want to see this.

frostno98
    frostno98's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 648

Quote Originally Posted by hankcream View Post
    Yep, can see this happening, now that the Oddsmaker has 15 less games to worry about.

Real gamblers should be very concern, since the NBA is the most profitable sport. It's the only sports that you can find a real edge. When betting on teams playing back to back, or teams playing one to coast to another coast. Plus, we won't have them late bail games when Golden State, LA, and SAC plays.

I'll probably focus more on the Euro league if this happens, then back to no gambling until the next NFL season. Books do not want to see this.

MartinBlank
    Going to be a good weekend
    MartinBlank's Avatar Become A Pro!

I f'in hate the NBA. If they closed it up for good, would anyone really care?

High3rEl3m3nt
    SBR's 7 figure Contractor
    High3rEl3m3nt's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4134

[QUOTE=bigboydan;11557161]I really don't see the NBA having a season at all this year actually. Some of the current owners bought their teams at a very high price and the math just doesn't add up in regards to the players salaries vs. the profit margins. I feel we going to see the NBA do the same thing the NHL owners did a few years back and suspend the entire season.[/QUOTE

I agree...what's unique about this lockout, compared to the others, is that the players are able to play overseas for good money. International basketball is helping to leverage the players' side of the argument. I really don't see this lockout being solved in time to salvage the season. Really unfortunate.

PAI
    PAI's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12

The 2011 season will start on time. Don't think Lebron, Wade, and Kobe money. Think Chalmers, Derek Fisher, and Eddie House. What I mean is most players are earning the low 9 figures. They will need their paychecks as sooner rather than later and pressure the union to cave. Too often the guy that is earning 2-3 million a year spends money and credits like he's earning 15-20 million a year. There will be a season. I need it as I only bet NBA. Those in the loop know why.

DDT
    Head Mod In Charge
    DDT's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2338

I just heard SJ jumped off a bridge

HotStreak
    Smokin'
    HotStreak's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 901

I don't think books will be that concerned.

I doubt there are many recreational gamblers that bet only NBA. People that gotta bet have plenty of shit to bet on during the fall and winter. People that make money off NBA, and have the patience to not bet other sports, I don't think books will miss them at all.

Tech N9ne
    Tech N9ne's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by DDT View Post
    I just heard SJ jumped off a bridge

Domestic
    Domestic's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1756

They won't be happy, I imagine they make a killing off of NBA. With so many games every night I just think the public on average gets buried.

j37hr0
    Small Time Square
    j37hr0's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 122

NHL games happen just as frequently as NBA games. Hockey will get more action to fill the void.

Richkas
    Richkas's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Ace_of_Spades View Post

Boogie Ball is a thug league

yisman
    yisman's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 246162

Quote Originally Posted by j37hr0 View Post
    NHL games happen just as frequently as NBA games. Hockey will get more action to fill the void.
    only a little bit will be filled,

WvGambler
    WvGambler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 150

Guys gamble to gamble, not to gamble a specific sport. College hoops will just get bet at huge volumes.

SBRPicks
    SBRPicks's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by griz View Post
    What are some thoughts on the economic impact to bookies and online books with no NBA? Are they in trouble here, perhaps going to have to get tougher on NFL? Or will they just make more with NBA bettors now hammering college harder?

Thanks

Good question, we will ask Doc (the Head Linesman at Legends) about this in our weekly Monday call with him today. Thanks!

Snowball
    Snowball's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3780

NCAA bets will increase.

dfberger23
    dfberger23's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 406

I will be very sad and bet way too much on college basketball if there is no NBA.

griz
    FEB 2012 POTM
    griz's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 607

Quote Originally Posted by SBRtv View Post
    Good question, we will ask Doc (the Head Linesman at Legends) about this in our weekly Monday call with him today. Thanks!
    what section can i find this video in?

thanks