wal66
    wal66's Avatar Become A Pro!

The Hook

Probably a topic more appropiate for the Think Tank but I figure there will be more opinions here.

Why are people still buying the hook?

I've been guilty of it in the past myself. Now I don't get involved with the hook any more. I figure in the long run I spend more on insurance of something that rarely enough comes into play than I win by purchasing it.

If a game is so close that the hook is a serious concern then it's too close of a game for me to make a play on. I'm not saying it doesn't bite sometimes but generally I either win or lose by enough of a margin that I rarely ever see the hook play a role in the outcome.

Tech N9ne
    Tech N9ne's Avatar Become A Pro!

The hook is best to buy when spread is 3, 7, 10, or 14

otherwise no

beermankirk
    beermankirk's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 885

The hook is usually better in game with lower totals, I find...

RudyRuetigger
    Leave of absence until March Madness
    RudyRuetigger's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 55

wal66
    wal66's Avatar Become A Pro!

I was thinking (I was attempting to think) in terms of how professionals would adress this. Granted I would imagine pro's have enough outs that they can find the line that best suits them without ever being concerned about the hook. However in talking with a few in the past on different matters they are so focused on the bottom line that I assume they would find buying the hook as -EV in all situations. Reason being you pay a higher juice which reduces you net profit.

I'm bored and just trying to dust some cobwebs off.

Sunde91
    Sunde91's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 255

not worth it at all in college, especially if they charge 15 cents for 3 and 7

it can be worth it to get on/off 3 in NFL, but some charge a brutal 25 cents

SCRAGGS
    The toe is back
    SCRAGGS's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 109

Quote Originally Posted by Sunde91 View Post
    not worth it at all in college, especially if they charge 15 cents for 3 and 7

it can be worth it to get on/off 3 in NFL, but some charge a brutal 25 cents

or more.