bettilimbroke999
    bettilimbroke999's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 506

Revenue-sharing in NBA....what are your thoughts?

Lets face it in the NBA there are teams like the Bobcats, Timberwolves, Bucks, Kings, etc that are not actually competitive. They simply dont have the cash to compete and if they try to spend money to improve it comes directly out of the owners pockets. On top of not that their revenues are much less due to market size which creates 22 teams that lose 100s of millions per year and 8 teams that make 100s of millions per year.

Should the NBA agree to revenue-sharing and allow these small-market teams to profit/compete with the larger market teams or is it correct for a team like the Lakers to always destroy these teams and make millions while 22 teams lose millions?

There is not another professional league in the US with even close to the level of disparity that the NBA has, for instance if you were asked to pick 3 teams to win the Western conference championship and chose Dallas, San Antonio, LA, you would be 100% for the past 13 seasons. One could argue out of a 15 team conference never having any of the other 12 teams ever make the finals is somewhat ridiculous and indicates a structure which doesnt allow them to compete. Im all for dynasties but even dynasties cant win every single year.

Should the NBA simply contract the league, from the current 30 teams (22 of which lost money last year) to lets say the top 16 largest markets to create a profitable/competitive league?

What should the NBA do to avoid a lockout every 6 years as each CBA expires?
    Last edited by bettilimbroke999; 09-12-11 at 03:16 PM.

YorkHunt
    I JUST RELEASED
    YorkHunt's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1507

Not sure but NBA is not going on this season for sure. IMO

stevenash
    stevenash's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 32279

Quote Originally Posted by bettilimbroke999 View Post
    Should the NBA simply contract the league, from the current 30 teams down to 0 teams?
    Yes

bettilimbroke999

The WNBA should have contracted to 0 after their first season but the NBA has at least 8 teams that are making millions of dollars even in this shit economy

Besides steve youd lose your job for the Suns
    Last edited by bettilimbroke999; 09-12-11 at 03:33 PM.

Mirar Baseball
    Mirar Baseball's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by bettilimbroke999 View Post
    The WNBA should have contracted to 0 after their first season but the NBA has at least 8 teams that are making millions of dollars even in this shit economy

Besides steve youd lose your job for the Suns
    How the hell would I make any money betting???

Blackroc78
    Blackroc78's Avatar Become A Pro!

There's a lot that's wrong with the NBA, first they should no doubt have revenue sharing, another the conference standing isn't good, it should be like the NFL 4 divisons in each conference, top teams in each plus 2 wild cards make the playoffs. Both changes together would make the league even more exciting in my opinion, I'm hoping they can resolved talks as soon as possible but it doesn't look like there will be any basketball this year. Hopefully when its all over the league will be stronger and better for it.

Sledge187
    Sledge187's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5937

MLB is the worst when it comes to competitive balance. I haven't watched a game in years and my kids hate it. Things have changed bc when I was a kid every kid I knew loved baseball.

agharah1
    agharah1's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 1191

Diluted talent pool. Not enough skill, too much "athleticism." There's more to basketball than iso, running, jumping, and dunking.

In any case, revenue sharing is an absolute must, if for no other reason than to put all that money James Dolan wastes on the Knicks to better use.

ProfaneReality
    ProfaneReality's Avatar Become A Pro!

Baseball has revenue sharing... how level is the playing field ?

shit bag owners just pocket the money and rarely re invest it in their team

agharah1
    agharah1's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 1191

That is true, the NFL has arguably done a better job of keeping dirtbag owners out of its league.

stevenash
    stevenash's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 32279

Quote Originally Posted by ProfaneReality View Post
    So true, what the Pirates do is almost criminal

bettilimbroke999

Quote Originally Posted by ProfaneReality View Post
    Baseball has revenue sharing... how level is the playing field ?

True it doesnt necessarily level the playing field bc you get greedy owners that just pocket the cash sometimes, but at least those teams are allowed to be profitable or cut losses, from a business perspective that at least avoids fuckin constant lockouts like the NBA goes through every fuckin 6 years. I mean seriously this shit is ridiculous, to setup a system where every 6 years you're going to cancel the season, I just cant believe this is the "right way" to run a league

Either implement some degree of revenue-sharing or eliminate smaller-market teams, but 22 teams losing 100s of millions while 8 make 100s of millions beating the shit broke teams and then cancelling a season every 6 years is not a good idea imo