notsosharp
    notsosharp's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 43

I don't even think he is the 15th best yankee of all time. He is one of the best closers of all time though.

InTheDrink
    Drinker of the Year
    InTheDrink's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 527

Quote Originally Posted by Br0nxer View Post
    i didnt say he was todays best player-that goes to fat albert

but he is a top 15 player of all time

and that is not in question
    You're a fukking moron

What's the title of this thread again?

Alfie B
    Alfie B's Avatar Become A Pro!

Hey Bronxer. I tried something like this last year, I think I used best reliever of all time tho.
    Good way to draw out the Yankee haters ehh? They are every where.
    Mariano may not be the BEST player I have ever seen, but no one matches what he has done as a reliever or his class.
    When he goes out in the ninth everyone knows he is going to throw a cutter, everyone and their nieghbor and no one can hit it. Sure it has fukked up a few times on him, notably during a world series game, but it didn't fukk up the other almost 600 times.
    First ballot hall of famer easy.
    MO just goes in calmly and does his job,doesn't argue strikes, he is a class player.
    How did Barry Bonds even enter this conversation, I notice people mentioned him. Bonds is not even top 20 of the last 30 years, not even close. He has some home runs and a big head but that's it.

Bob Loblaw
    Bob Loblaw's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2197

Quote Originally Posted by Alfie B View Post
    Hey Bronxer. I tried something like this last year, I think I used best reliever of all time tho.
    Good way to draw out the Yankee haters ehh? They are every where.
    Mariano may not be the BEST player I have ever seen, but no one matches what he has done as a reliever or his class.
    When he goes out in the ninth everyone knows he is going to throw a cutter, everyone and their nieghbor and no one can hit it. Sure it has fukked up a few times on him, notably during a world series game, but it didn't fukk up the other almost 600 times.
    First ballot hall of famer easy.
    MO just goes in calmly and does his job,doesn't argue strikes, he is a class player.
    How did Barry Bonds even enter this conversation, I notice people mentioned him. Bonds is not even top 20 of the last 30 years, not even close. He has some home runs and a big head but that's it.
    It has nothing to do with being Yankee haters. I don't think there's a person in here that has argued against him being the best closer of all time. That's a completely different story than best player.

Bonds entered the conversation by playing in around 25,000 more innings than Mo for starters. That's kind an amazing difference when discussing best players of all time.

To think he's not top 20 in the last 30 years is asinine. Forget the last 30 years. You do realize there isn't a player in the history of baseball to win as many MVP's as Bonds? Or to hit as many homeruns as Bonds? Or to draw as many walks as Bonds? Only 4 players had a higher OBP than Bonds. Only 3 players had a higher OPS than Bonds. Only 2 players scored more Runs than Bonds. Only 2 players have driven in more Runs than Bonds. Not to mention he also stole over 500 bases. There isn't a member of the 300 or more homerun club to do that, let alone the 700 homerun club. Bonds owns the 2 best OBP single seasons in the history of baseball. I've never seen anything like him. If the pitcher threw it anywhere but over the plate, he wasn't swinging. If he threw one over the plate, he was hitting it hard somewhere, usually over the fence. Not top 20 in the last 30 years? Bonds is the best player in the last 30 years and a top 5 player of all time, whether you like him or not.
    Last edited by Bob Loblaw; 09-07-11 at 10:51 PM.

InTheDrink
    Drinker of the Year
    InTheDrink's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 527

Alfie B = buried

don't come back pal....you don't know jack shit

biggamer3
    biggamer3's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3802

Mo will rank as the best reliever we have ever seen

High3rEl3m3nt
    SBR's 7 figure Contractor
    High3rEl3m3nt's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4134

A lot of players did steroids...none came close to Bonds' numbers...just saying. Bonds is definitely one of the best to play the game.

CanuckG
    CanuckG's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 584

top 15 all time? not even close pal

stick to nfl...or something

Cap dat 4ss
    okst. -13.5
    Cap dat 4ss's Avatar Become A Pro!

I'd say he's certainly top 50, probably top 25, arguably top 15. He's been so damn good for so damn long people just get used to it. Also, closers don't have sex appeal so it's hard to get pre-madonnas to recognize them. I think most historians of the game would agree with you Bronxer that he is certainly one of the best players ever. The number we give him is purely arbitrary. I think in realms, he's in the best of the best realm.

biggamerife21
    biggamerife21's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2053

He is the best closer to ever play the game i just dont know how you would rank a closer on an all time list. i would rank them higher than most people and have to agree with you.

biggamerife21
    biggamerife21's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2053

i would go top 50

KC
    KC's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 150

He is tremendous, used to love going to the Bronx with a bet on the Yanks, they'd bring him in to set up Wetland and you knew you were a winner.

opie1988
    I have a MAJOR fukkin clue..
    opie1988's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1012

Rivera is really good, no doubt.

But let's be serious for a minute....wouldn't we all prefer facing Mariano than to see big Joba on the mound? Joba Chamberlain is clearly the greatest current Yankee. Maybe the greatest living Yankee.

Really enjoyed seeing those Yankee fools get that skull thumped by Texas in last years ALCS. How sweet it is......

SBR
    Poster of
    Year 2011

MoneyLineDawg
    Update your status
    MoneyLineDawg's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13

Very hard to compare a closer to an everyday player and make a list. I will say Mariano has been the most dominant reliever I have ever seen and it's not really close. What's even more impressive is how long he has been this great. I won't try to rank him with other starting pitchers and every-day players. He is one of the greatest Yankees ever, the best closer ever, and one of the most dominant pitchers in the history of baseball and I'll leave it at that.

8ArIvd5
    8ArIvd5's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1044

mo's top 15 and sergio romo's never been to the post season.

paco
    paco's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7051

Sergio Romo is actually in this convo?

Might as well say Joey Harrington top 5 qbs of all time

8ArIvd5
    8ArIvd5's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1044

Quote Originally Posted by paco View Post
    Sergio Romo is actually in this convo?

Might as well say Joey Harrington top 5 qbs of all time
    henny tonight, paco?

OTL
    OTL's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5277

Greatest closer yes, but how can you compare him to the everyday greats? I'm only 30, and have seen many of the latter in my time.

Ethan
    Ethan's Avatar Become A Pro!

Bob F my choice

Ethan
    Ethan's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by OTL View Post
    Greatest closer yes, but how can you compare him to the everyday greats? I'm only 30, and have seen many of the latter in my time.
    would see perhaps

Br0nxer
    July 2012 Poster of the Month
    Br0nxer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 888

Quote Originally Posted by CanuckG View Post
    top 15 all time? not even close pal

stick to nfl...or something
    stick to posting winners about 37% of the time

howd that SMU bet turn out

First 12