LVHerbie
    LVHerbie's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1973

Oklahoma next to walk away from Big 12?

NORMAN – University of Oklahoma president David Boren affirmed OU's role in the current conference derby Friday, saying: "I'll put it this way: I don't think there's any chance OU is going to end up being a wallflower when this is all over."
    The derby, from OU's standpoint, might end sooner than some imagine.
    "My experience on these types of things is it might be a matter of 72 hours," Boren said after taking part in a groundbreaking ceremony for OU's new student-athlete housing center. "It might be a matter of two weeks. I don't really think this is something that's going to linger on beyond two or three weeks."

Where the Sooners wind up – Big 12? Pac-12? SEC? – isn't clear. That they are in demand seems more so.

"It's really a tribute to the strength of the University of Oklahoma that there is so much interest in us," Boren said. "We have to carefully evaluate the various comments that are being made to us and the various possibilities being shown to us before we decide what's best for the university to do."

Texas A&M's departure from the Big 12 Conference has sparked rampant speculation about OU's future home. About the future home for everybody in the Big 12, for that matter.

Officials from several Big 12 universities released statements supporting the Big 12 after A&M announced its intention Wednesday. OU went silent until Friday, and Boren didn't exactly submit a vote of confidence for the Big 12.

"We want stability in our conference relationships," he said. "We want partnerships athletically and academically as well. A conference that is strong and not unstable is one in which there are multiple relationships between the university members."

Asked if he was discouraged about addressing conference realignment just one year after Nebraska and Colorado bolted a teetering Big 12, Boren said: "I had hoped we had stability. I guess I'm just disappointed that the original Big 12 is not still the same Big 12. I was extremely disappointed when Nebraska departed. I was disappointed when Colorado departed."

To that end, Boren confirmed OU's involvement in trying to keep A&M in the fold. "Someone said they tracked our plane from Norman to Columbia (Mo.) and back down to College Station the other day. That's true," he said. "I've been doing a lot of traveling and having a lot of conversations with all of the other presidents and others. Joe has been heavily involved."

OU athletic director Joe Castiglione did not comment when asked about realignment after Friday's groundbreaking.

Castiglione is on the Big 12's five-member expansion committee. Comments by Boren, however, suggest that OU officials aren't trying themselves to a restructured Big 12 Conference.

OU officials aren't tying themselves to any league just yet.

"I do not know with certainty, or perhaps can't hazard a totally intelligent guess, as to what our final decision will be," Boren said. "But we are carefully looking over all of the options. There's no school in the Big 12 more active than we are right now." As Boren sees it, given his athletic department's cachet, that's how it should be. "I think we remain a very influential member of this conference," he said. "Influential not only in this conference, but influential in athletics across the country."
    http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextr...r459101&r=3968

Cap dat 4ss
    okst. -13.5
    Cap dat 4ss's Avatar Become A Pro!

Sounds like it may happen Herbs. THis would destroy the Big12. Even if they managed to stay together they would be the equivalent to a conference USA. Texas and OU make the Big 12. If OU leaves, OSU not far behind. I could see OU to the SEC and OSU to the PAC 12 and the big 12 dissolving.

However I think they would be best served by staying in the big 12. They have benefited more than any other BCS school by being in the big 12 conference. They have been to 4 NC games in the last 11 years and I don't believe this will be the case if they go to one of the other big three conferences. I think they're butthurt as was TAMU because UT got a network.

Are you still in Tulsa? May head up there later on for some late night BlackJack. Let me know

LVHerbie
    LVHerbie's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1973

Quote Originally Posted by Cap dat 4ss View Post
    Sounds like it may happen Herbs. THis would destroy the Big12. Even if they managed to stay together they would be the equivalent to a conference USA. Texas and OU make the Big 12. If OU leaves, OSU not far behind. I could see OU to the SEC and OSU to the PAC 12 and the big 12 dissolving.

However I think they would be best served by staying in the big 12. They have benefited more than any other BCS school by being in the big 12 conference. They have been to 4 NC games in the last 11 years and I don't believe this will be the case if they go to one of the other big three conferences. I think they're butthurt as was TAMU because UT got a network.

Are you still in Tulsa? May head up there later on for some late night BlackJack. Let me know
    I wouldn't be surprised if OU/OSU go out together and maybe to the same conference ... Regardless, looks like the Big 12 is close to imploding... Can't see any marque teams stepping (names I heard so (Arkansas, BYU, Pittsburg, Notre Dame) make no sense for various obvious reasons) and willing options (old SWC teams, etc) aren't going to make up for what has already been lost from A&M, Nebraska, and Colorado exiting...

I'm about 45 minutes from Tulsa... You heading to the Hard Rock? I haven't been there for sometime (I don't play blackjack in Oklahoma out of principle due to the scam-ante rules) but might be making more frequent trip due to need to get my poker fix...

harlee71
    harlee71's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 197

The word around Austin that I was hearing is UT and OU have been talking package deal if they move out. They both really want to stay but the only bigger name teams that is a definite maybe are Ark and BYU. Pac12 and SEC could take on two more teams. A&M could be odd team out if Tex ans OU were to OK a SEC offer. Just rumors though.

Cap dat 4ss
    okst. -13.5

I ended up not going up there tonight but I've got a few weeks off work maybe we can meet up there and play some poker or something. I know Bo$$ lives up there, maybe we can get him to meet up with us as well.

Cap dat 4ss
    okst. -13.5

If OU, Tx and OSU went to the SEC, the SEC would just get stronger in all sports. I hope to see it happen. Even if it means more losses for my Sooners and Cowboys it would be fun to see them compete week in and week out against such good competition.

harlee71

Mr KLC
    Mr KLC's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 384

I'd hate to see the Big 12 go. I still haven't gotten over SWC dissolving.

Cap dat 4ss
    okst. -13.5

Looks like OU, OSU and Texas may be heading to the Pac-12. Pac 12 would be a much better conference for all 3 of them as they could compete for and win the conference championships there. Not sure they could do that in the SEC.

harlee71

Quote Originally Posted by Cap dat 4ss View Post
    Looks like OU, OSU and Texas may be heading to the Pac-12. Pac 12 would be a much better conference for all 3 of them as they could compete for and win the conference championships there. Not sure they could do that in the SEC.
    Again, from people that I know who are in the AD's office....SEC is not out of the question just yet. Texas A&M could get a stick in their ass if that happens. SEC is only wanting to add two teams. They said they would Take Texas and OU if they wanted to come. Again this is rumor.