Bluehorseshoe
    Bluehorseshoe's Avatar SBR PRO

NHL's Avery suspended over "Sloppy Seconds" comment.

Cuthbert's Ex Suspended over "Sloppy Seconds"

Posted Dec 2nd 2008 7:00PM by TMZ Staff

Hockey Fun Fact: You can punch the hell out of an opposing player on the ice, but when you refer to his girlfriend as your "sloppy seconds" -- that's where the NHL draws the line.

Moments ago, the NHL suspended hockey's most hated player, Sean Avery, for talking trash to the new player dating his ex girlfriend Elisha Cuthbert.

Here's the deal -- Cuthbert's new boyfriend, Dion Phaneuf, plays for the Calgary Flames -- and during a practice session in Calgary today, Avery got the media's attention and said the following:

"I just want to comment on how it's become like a common thing in the NHL for guys to fall in love with my sloppy seconds. I don't know what that's about. Enjoy the game tonight."

Avery is out pending a hearing with NHL Commissioner Gay Bettman.
    175 pts

3-QUESTION
    SBR TRIVIA WINNER 09/26/2022

Matt Rain
    Matt Rain's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 659

Avery is a major-league ass. Bravo to the NHL - fuck that clown.

And I'll take anyone's sloppy seconds if their name is Elisha Cuthbert.

Matt Rain

Last edited by SBR Jonelyn; 03-20-15 at 09:58 AM. Reason: image does not exist

Bluehorseshoe
    Bluehorseshoe's Avatar SBR PRO

I guess she's ok.....
    Last edited by SBR Jonelyn; 03-20-15 at 09:58 AM. Reason: image does not exist
    175 pts

3-QUESTION

element1286
    element1286's Avatar Become A Pro!

The guy is a jackass, but it is a pretty funny comment.

daggerkobe
    UCONN PK MICH PK PROVIDENCE +2
    daggerkobe's Avatar Become A Pro!

That's why NHL is a joke.

treece
    treece's Avatar Become A Pro!

Not a joke when the players are getting some nice ass. I think Federov was banging Anna Kornikova.

Richkas
    Richkas's Avatar Become A Pro!

Hell, I'll be more than happy to have sloppy 3rds.

I'd lick her butthole.

SlickFazzer
    SlickFazzer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1176

I'd lick it like a lollipop, and ask her if she liked it licked while I was doing it.

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE
    pavyracer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 135

I'm hungry now. How can you suspend someone for eating sloppy joe's?
    175 pts

3-QUESTION

175 pts

3-QUESTION
    SBR TRIVIA WINNER 09/22/2022

AMBlai01
    SBR Resident Drunk
    AMBlai01's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1251

I hate Avery with a passion but that is one of the funniest things I have ever heard. I cannot believe that he got suspended for it.

He was only making a comment, people have never said outlandish things to the media before?

blittydeuce
    blittydeuce's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3192

That comment was in bad taste, but he shouldn't be suspended for it.

soni
    soni's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 78

funny thing is dallas would still win tonight i think

dwaechte
    dwaechte's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 234

Definitely the funniest thing Avery's ever said.

fiveteamer
    Sweet berry wine!!!
    fiveteamer's Avatar Become A Pro!

Nhlpa

BobHarvey
    BobHarvey's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 128

There goes my respect for the NHL's front office. Don't they have freedom of the speech in Canada?

cobra_king
    cobra_king's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 29093

NHL's front office is actually in New York City and league prez is also an American.

MoneySportsGuy
    MoneySportsGuy's Avatar Become A Pro!

man that was a funny comment

MoneySportsGuy
    MoneySportsGuy's Avatar Become A Pro!

crazy earlier ESPN read the quote at like 6 P.M. sportscenter but took out the word sloppy seconds, then about an hour ago, Linda Cohen had disclaimer some comments might be inappropriate and they played the real audio I laughed so hard

pico
    USC ml
    pico's Avatar Become A Pro!

sad part is that dallas still won without avery. flames was getting -170 ml

PuckOff
    PuckOff's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4351

Quote Originally Posted by daggerkobe View Post
    That's why NHL is a joke.
    Well at least NHL players do not shoot people in nightclubs or at least shoot themselves in nightclubs. What is it with NBA and NFL players anyways?

BestPlay2day
    BestPlay2day's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 502

Thought it was a funny comment. No way in hell he should of been suspended for that.

Matt Rain

He was suspended for his entire body of work, not just this incident.

Stars players and management are all happy to have him suspended.

Matt Rain

(From )

Stars owner Tom Hicks also released a statement on the team's website in which he said he supported the NHL's decision.

"Had the league not have suspended him, the Dallas Stars would have," Hicks stated. "This organization will not tolerate such behaviour, especially from a member of our hockey team. We hold our team to a higher standard and will continue to do so."

Teammate Marty Turco wasn't impressed with Avery's latest antics either.

"Unfortunately, you don't know what the right words are when ignorant comments are made, such as that this morning," Turco said following Tuesday's 3-1 victory over the Flames. "For us, the ability to focus maybe becomes more poignant right now, to bottle things up and play some solid hockey... We're not gonna ignore what happened today, we're not going to pretend like these things don't happen or face up to it."

Centre Brad Richards echoed those sentiments.

"It's none of my business what he says and I'd rather not talk about Sean," said Richards. "He's got his own thing going on."

Forward Mike Modano felt that the comments were not what the Stars organization is about.

"It's way out of the ordinary and way out of what we expect out of each other, and you know... It's gonna be dealt with and how it plays out, I'm not sure."

Sources tell TSN the Stars are expected to send Avery home Wednesday morning and NHL on TSN analyst John Tortorella agrees with the move and the suspension.

"The league stepped up here and I think they did the right thing. Enough is enough," said Tortorella. "He's embarrassed himself, he's embarrassed the organization, he's embarrassed the league and he's embarrassed his teammates, who have to look out for him. Send him home. He doesn't belong in the league."

And while NHL on TSN analyst and former player Matthew Barnaby does not agree with the suspension, he questions Avery's future with the Stars.

"As a former player, I don't agree with the suspension," said Barnaby. "Trust me, I said a lot of nasty things to a lot of different players but everything stayed on the ice. Bringing it out in the media is classless and stupid."

"I've played in that organization and it is a class organization. I think he's played his last game as a Dallas Star."
    Last edited by SBR Jonelyn; 03-20-15 at 09:59 AM. Reason: image does not exist

unit1884
    unit1884's Avatar Become A Pro!

He and plaxico should hang out

fiveteamer
    Sweet berry wine!!!

Jeez, his teammates are throwing him under the bus.

unreal.

Mudcat
    Mudcat's Avatar Become A Pro!

I think you guys have covered the bases as far as the actual incident/suspension.

I'll say this: I saw Elisha Cuthbert being interviewed recently and she did not look nearly as good as those photos. She just looked like an okay looking girl. I don't know if it's the partying lifestyle or what, but she seems to be going downhill fast.

mathdotcom
    mathdotcom's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1794

Why don't these articles mention the fact that some loser journalist decided to ask him about his personal life? How was he supposed to reply?

"What do you think about the fact that Phaneuf is boning your ex?"
    'Well Phaneuf is a solid hockey player and a great guy and I wish him all the best.'

daggerkobe
    UCONN PK MICH PK PROVIDENCE +2
    daggerkobe's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by PuckOff View Post
    Well at least NHL players do not shoot people in nightclubs or at least shoot themselves in nightclubs. What is it with NBA and NFL players anyways?
    Thats because no one cares about hockey and no one would recognize them in public.

Isnt NHL the only sport where players have been arrested and prosecuted for what they do during games? I guess sucker punching other players and smashing sticks on their heads is the type of culture NHL encourages.

Kingctb27
    Kingctb27's Avatar Become A Pro!

This thread needs more pictures.

Matt Rain

Quote Originally Posted by Mudcat View Post
    I'll say this: I saw Elisha Cuthbert being interviewed recently and she did not look nearly as good as those photos. She just looked like an okay looking girl. I don't know if it's the partying lifestyle or what, but she seems to be going downhill fast.
    Yeah, I'm still trying to erase the beach pics w/Phaneuf from my memory. I wanna remember Elisha as the Girl Next Door and Jack Bauer's white-top-wearing, babysitting daughter in the 2nd season of 24.

Goddamn.

Matt Rain

fiveteamer
    Sweet berry wine!!!

I liked her on Popular Mechanics for kids on Global on weekday mornings before school.

Mudcat
    Mudcat's Avatar Become A Pro!

It's almost like she's trying to be less hot now. Her hair looked like she had cut it herself. It was weird. As I say, almost seemed intentionally plain and unflattering.

Maybe she was hating all the "hot chick" attention. I could understand that. It probably gets creepy.

Bread
    Living corpse
    Bread's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 37

OMG her eyebrows were out of control in the video. I wanted to catch them with a net.

12 Last