TR88
    TR88's Avatar Become A Pro!

Is this true about South Carolina ?

Attached Images  

obamaismyuncle
    obamaismyuncle's Avatar Become A Pro!

stupid law if its true..state missing out on a ton of revenue from liquor tax

TR88
    TR88's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by obamaismyuncle View Post
    stupid law if its true..state missing out on a ton of revenue from liquor tax

topgame85
    topgame85's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3082

Virginia is 9pm. Can buy beer or wine at grocery/ convenience stores until midnight, and order anything at a bar until 2am but liquor stores (which are state owned/operated) close at 9.

Ralphie Halves
    Ralphie Halves's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15084

I Like the sign at least. Covers all the dumb questions they're sure to get from pissy bums that have been there for years and can't remember the law.

I have lots of family in South Carolina, and I was unaware of the law, but I always did notice people buying booze in huge quantities almost every time I was there. Now I know why.

obamaismyuncle
    obamaismyuncle's Avatar Become A Pro!

Liquor stores here open till 10pm bars till 230am

saints7011
    saints7011's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1898

it is very true...

Myrtle Beach suffers from the law big time...

missing out on alot of money with that law...

King Mayan
    STFU AND SQUAT PUTO
    King Mayan's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3679

Liberals.

jarvol
    jarvol's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3670

Yes but it is only liquor stores. At least we can buy beer and wine at gas stations and grocery stores 24/7 except midnight Saturday - sunrise Monday and bars/restaurants can serve from 10am-2am (midnight on Saturdays and not on Sunday except in municipalities which had enough sense to allow voters to decide and not be told what to do by religious nutbags).

These stupid laws are yet another example of how politicians let religion influence their legislation. How can something be illegal on Sundays yet legal the remainder of the week? Municipalites have also had to let voters override the state's blue laws which wouldn't allow most business to open until 1:30pm on Sundays. Utter stupidity.

grzftbl
    grzftbl's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 60

Wyoming has DRIVE THRU liquor stores. Most are connected to a bar and are open until 2am.

Drive thru...I sh!t you not!

sweethook
    sweethook's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10464

thats hard on a guy there , you get off work at 530 you best buy it up

doublej95
    Co Power Poster 2011
    doublej95's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 19

NC liquor stores are closed on Sundays. But you can buy beer and wine at the supermarket on Sundays after 12pm.

SportsMushroom
    SportsMushroom's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6839

people believing that this law is stupid or think the state is forfeiting tax revenue obviously arent very smart

the money that would be made from tax revenue will be spent on extra policing that will be required when all the trash will start getting trashed in the streets after it gets dark

doublej95
    Co Power Poster 2011

Quote Originally Posted by SportsMushroom View Post
    people believing that this law is stupid or think the state is forfeiting tax revenue obviously arent very smart

the money that would be made from tax revenue will be spent on extra policing that will be required when all the trash will start getting trashed in the streets after it gets dark

And you know the people that live in SC know the law and they will buy their booze before the store is closed. Same here in NC, people will go get what they need on Saturday if they think they might run low on Sunday. Not much moon being lost.

wtt0315
    This is the Broncos Year.
    wtt0315's Avatar Become A Pro!

grew up in tenneessee lots of places cant buy liquior, actually lynchburg,tn where jack daniels is made is a dry county

VegasVixen
    Update your status
    VegasVixen's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1357

Yes, I live here in SC and "blue laws" are stupid. Over the past decade, various cities & counties have been passing local legislation so that restaurants can serve alcohol on Sundays... it's been slow progress. In counties where there's no legislation passed, a bar has to become a "private club" and patrons must carry membership cards to drink there. In return, they can open & serve on Sundays. The kicker - you can't just walk in on a Sunday & become a member, you have to sign up at least a day in advance. The loophole - "members" can sign in a "guest" so you can bring a non-member friend with you. When I moved here 15 years ago I couldn't understand how it was illegal for me to go to a bar & watch football on a Sunday.

VegasVixen
    Update your status

Oh one more thing... LIQUOR stores (which can only operate Mon - Sat 9am - 7pm) can only sell LIQUOR. (they are called ABC stores, "red dot" stores, or "Package" stores. If you want beer too, you have to go to a grocery store etc. If a liquor store wants to also sell beer & wine, they have to have a separate business license, separare entrance & check-out, and you will see these stores as they are "divided", with one half a liquor store, the other half beer/wine. As a customer, you have to buy your liquor, leave the liquor half, go back in the "beer side" entrance, then buy your beer & wine...

saints7011

Quote Originally Posted by VegasVixen View Post
    Yes, I live here in SC and "blue laws" are stupid. Over the past decade, various cities & counties have been passing local legislation so that restaurants can serve alcohol on Sundays... it's been slow progress. In counties where there's no legislation passed, a bar has to become a "private club" and patrons must carry membership cards to drink there. In return, they can open & serve on Sundays. The kicker - you can't just walk in on a Sunday & become a member, you have to sign up at least a day in advance. The loophole - "members" can sign in a "guest" so you can bring a non-member friend with you. When I moved here 15 years ago I couldn't understand how it was illegal for me to go to a bar & watch football on a Sunday.
    you live in SC ?

VegasVixen
    Update your status

Quote Originally Posted by saints7011 View Post
    you live in SC ?
    Yes, since '97, although I'm in Vegas quite a bit... Will be back in LV next Sunday

saints7011

Yes, since '97, although I'm in Vegas quite a bit... Will be back in LV next Sunday
    where in SC ?

call me...

Cougar Bait
    2010 Poster of the Year
    Cougar Bait's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3289

Jesus wins with this law.

Go Jesus!

VegasVixen
    Update your status

where in SC ?

call me...
    Greenville. I don't call guys, they call me

saints7011

Greenville. I don't call guys, they call me
    I tried , couldn't find a vegasvixen listed in the white pages...

TheCentaur
    TheCentaur's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 68

Didn't realize there were so many fellow South Carolina posters in here.

saints7011

Quote Originally Posted by TheCentaur View Post
    Didn't realize there were so many fellow South Carolina posters in here.
    where u at ?

sweethook
    sweethook's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10464

v v i though you said you were from mich. area , il be in charleston all weekend

VegasVixen
    Update your status

Quote Originally Posted by sweethook View Post
    v v i though you said you were from mich. area , il be in charleston all weekend

Mich?!?!? Nope. Chicago originally, Greenville, SC since '97

TheCentaur
    TheCentaur's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 68

where u at ?
    N Myrtle Beach, you?

doublej95
    Co Power Poster 2011

North Carolina is the better of the two Carolinas.

InTheDrink
    Drinker of the Year
    InTheDrink's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 527

I actually co-own a bar/restaurant in sc

Wanna know the worst part?

We have to buy a separate license to serve from 12a-2a Saturday night and all day Sunday.....and it's more expensive than our regular six day a week license!!! At least I guess I'm lucky we have the option but the Sunday license is either weekly or annual and the standard license is biannual. Makes no sense to me. And the worst part is that with state cutbacks there's a lotta places not buying the Sunday license because it's not being enforced unless there's a problem.

When I moved here we couldn't buy beer outside of a restaurant on sunday. Thank god that one got changed.

Boxer300
    Boxer300's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 221

I am in Greenville SC here but don't drink a lot so couldn't care less about the law. As another poster already mentioned not much money is being lost because everyone knows the law that lives here and they stock up before 7pm and before it's Sunday. Most people here from other states do not know the law however and they get screwed.