View Poll Results: Is it Possible to Make a Living Wagering on Sports?

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

12 92.31%
  • No

1 7.69%
    Thurgood
    Thurgood's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 274

Is it Possible to Make a Living Wagering on Sports?

i.e Billy Walters

DemoralizdDreamr
    DemoralizdDreamr's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 78

Yes. U would need a winning system (obviously), lots of discipline and a fairly healthy bankroll. At least large enough for u to make a few thousand a month.

wikkidinsane
    wikkidinsane's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 150

If and when My BR climbs over 10 G's im going to try

SportsMushroom
    SportsMushroom's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6839

making a living through gambling is possible

you know what is not possible? to actually count the number of threads that have been created asking if making a living through gambling is possible

easywinner
    easywinner's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 152

Yes, if something has been done before it can be repeated, think about it. Doesn't mean that every person has the capacity(mentally or financially) to do it though. I'm pretty sure Walters grew up poor in the midwest somewhere and grinded out a living before moving to Vegas and becoming what he was and is now. You could also look into poker. It seems like a lot of people have been getting into doing that for a living recently the past few years or so. Guys like Dwan that started grinding it out online and now look at him. If you are serious about something just do it and get into it. Learn as much as you can about whatever it is that interests you and work at it until you master it and get to the place you want to be. There will always be people that say no it's impossible to do in anything in life and it's not going to be easy, but nothing ever is. There are people on here that claim to do it for a living. At least a few of them have to be telling the truth so it's gotta be possible. Good luck.

Thurgood

Quote Originally Posted by easywinner View Post
    Yes, if something has been done before it can be repeated, think about it. Doesn't mean that every person has the capacity(mentally or financially) to do it though. I'm pretty sure Walters grew up poor in the midwest somewhere and grinded out a living before moving to Vegas and becoming what he was and is now. You could also look into poker. It seems like a lot of people have been getting into doing that for a living recently the past few years or so. Guys like Dwan that started grinding it out online and now look at him. If you are serious about something just do it and get into it. Learn as much as you can about whatever it is that interests you and work at it until you master it and get to the place you want to be. There will always be people that say no it's impossible to do in anything in life and it's not going to be easy, but nothing ever is. There are people on here that claim to do it for a living. At least a few of them have to be telling the truth so it's gotta be possible. Good luck.
    Kind of like that scene from Pursuit of Happyness where Will Smith is like don't ever let people tell you that you cannot do something, not even me. You have a dream, you protect it.

I'm obviously very green based on the number of my posts. TBH, I've never really won a lot of sports bets. But I never really took it seriously and basically just used betting on sports as a way to enhance watching a game and getting drunk.

Why not give it a shot? The older I get, the more I realize about myself. I like being my own boss and when it comes to risk, I've never really had any fear. Not sure if that is good or bad.

Gee
    Gee's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2327

Win or lose, I don't know if truly get what you are about to start buddy. Its a hard life.

Good luck

My advice would be to walk away and try something else. Most people fail at this and the learning curve is tough.

Mr KLC
    Mr KLC's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 408

I mean its possible. I know I'm never going to be one of those guys. I went into it thinking that maybe I could make a living doing this, but after I read "Conquering Risk", and saw all the variables you need to use, I came to the conclusion that I'm going to be a lifetime recreational gambler. Its a lot of hard work, and you have to devote a lot of time, just to have a shot at not just doing well, but doing well consistently. There are people at the books that do this nonstop, and know their business. Those are pretty steep odds to beat. Just don't just jump in thinking you're going to do well automatically.

Thurgood

I was a little fearful starting this conversation people would make assumptions. I might be green wagering on sports but I am certainly a seasoned ex poker player. I pursued poker for an entire year between 2005 and 2006, basically playing everyday and then half of 2010. Biggest challenge I found with 'online' poker were the cheats. You'll find them in both micro and larger stake games.

I really do grasp the stress and pressure that go along with making this more than a hobby. I feel one good thing about sport wagering is that I'm not competing with other people for the most part. The poker community online and in places like Vegas is rather pretentious. I had a cabbie in Vegas once admit to basically cheating the recreational/tourist players out of money. I'd hope that everyone on SBR would like to see everyone succeed.

I haven't even placed one wager yet. My novice skill level see's data analysis probably giving me the best edge, right? I have just been spending hours and hours going over as much data as I can for the NFL games in Week 1.

Pete0
    --------------------
    Pete0's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 106

well becoming a doctor, or an IT professional or a politician is also equally hard.

The truth is as u can see from the poll ( lol ) , 90 % and above believe its possible, but they dont have the work ethic is pull themselves through. They're eventually disappointed down the road, and end up believing that this is not beatable and will tell all other gamblers that this is a waste of time.

Well - its definately beatable , and you dont necessarily need to be a math major, statistics pro or build a complex model.
    It could very well be as easy as just personally knowing the manager of bookmaker/ legends and getting info on sharp sides.
    there is more than 1 way to beat the odds. ( actually several)

But you do need a good sized bankroll, lots of planning and a deep desire.
    Good luck