Brock Landers
    Forever in Debt to your Priceless Advice
    Brock Landers's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8792

Carlos Zambrano retires

ATLANTA -- Carlos Zambrano had a rough night, serving up five home runs and trailing 8-1 in the fifth before being ejected by plate umpire Tim Timmons for allegedly throwing at Chipper Jones.

The Cubs lost 10-4.

After the game, Zambrano's locker was already cleaned out and the pitcher told a team trainer that he had retired.

According to STATS Inc., Zambrano became the third Cubs pitcher since 1955 to serve up five homers in a game, joining Ismael Valdez ('00) & Steve Stone ('74). Warren Hacker also gave up five homers in a game in 1954.

Dan Uggla homered leading off the second, extending his hit streak to 32 games, an Atlanta record. The Braves added another run in the inning on an RBI grounder to first by Jose Constanza, who was ruled out for running outside of the baseline.

The Cubs scored in the third on Reed Johnson's RBI single. But after Zambrano retired the first two men in the third, he gave up a single, hit Uggla with a pitch and served up a three-run home run to Jones.

In the fifth, Zambrano gave up back-to-back home runs to Freddie Freeman and Uggla, before throwing inside to Jones on a 1-1 pitch. Several Braves players came onto the field after Zambrano was ejected, but there was no incident.

Alfonso Soriano hit a two-run double in the sixth after jogging out of the box thinking it was a home run, but the Braves came back in the bottom of the inning, scoring two more off John Grabow to make it 10-3.

The Braves had a long Pre-Game ceremony honoring former manager Bobby Cox, retiring his No. 6. Greg Maddux was one of the speakers, along with Jones, John Smoltz andTom Glavine.

In Zambrano's last start against the Braves in Atlanta, he gave up eight runs in 1 1/3 innings in a 16-5 loss on Opening Day of the 2010 season. He's won his only two starts in August, and is 3-1 with a 2.92 earned-run average since July 22.

gshock1
    gshock1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 750

Fuker helped me cash my over... Thanks Big Z!

DrStale
    DrStale's Avatar Become A Pro!

Doubt it, he was pissed off about the game, no way he actually retires right now.

Rich Boy
    Rich Boy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1106

Just like how Randy Moss "retired"?

crustyme
    dont i look killer?
    crustyme's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 39

and forfeit $50 million?

yeah right.....

I/O
    I/O's Avatar Become A Pro!

Asshole goes out just like he should. Last play tries to hit the Atlanta batter after hitting one earlier after giving up a homer. Ends up getting ejected instantly and is smiling as he walks off the field. Fukin puke. Fukin puke career. Never had 20 wins. Stole a check every year. Go back to the jungle you came out of. Manager lighting him up pretty good post game.

TheMoneyShot
    TheMoneyShot's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 23701

Why does this guy have a temper all the time? He's the kind of guy that acts tough... but he would go down with one clean shot to his grill. I hate that guy... Congrats to the people who had the over.

I/O
    I/O's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by crustyme View Post
    and forfeit $50 million?

yeah right.....
    he cleared his locker after being ejected and told the trainer he retired

Cubs can only hope they can save the scratch. They couldn't find ANY takers for his fat A/D/D ass before the trade deadline.

DrStale
    DrStale's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by I/O View Post

he cleared his locker after being ejected and told the trainer he retired

Cubs can only hope they can save the scratch. They couldn't find ANY takers for his fat A/D/D ass before the trade deadline.
    Depends on the source, some say he talked to teammates about possibly retiring. Either way the guy is just a tantrum throwing hothead so what he says doesnt really mean anything in that situation.

Brock Landers
    Forever in Debt to your Priceless Advice
    Brock Landers's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8792

he's a fukking asshole, wish he would just disappear

ColdBeerHere
    Tailing Wilson
    ColdBeerHere's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8151

His name plate was removed from his locker

"Patrick Mooney of CSN Chicago further reported that Zambrano's name plate was gone from his locker and all that remained were white hangers. Zambrano's whereabouts were unknown, even by manager Mike Quade."

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/blog/big...rn=mlb-wp15766

I would think that if he is not retired that he has played his last game in a Cub's uniform.....

Doc JS
    Doc JS's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12

Quote Originally Posted by ColdBeerHere View Post
    I would think that if he is not retired that he has played his last game in a Cub's uniform.....
    THIS!

I think the Cubs are flat-out tired of his sh*t. And I'd be stunned if he EVER played for the Cubbies again...

Affirmed3
    Affirmed3's Avatar Become A Pro!

Probably done for the season

Doc JS
    Doc JS's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12

Even Big Z isn't stupid enough to walk away from a reported $24 million...

RollPlayer
    RollPlayer's Avatar Become A Pro!

Geez, talk about an overreaction

patswin
    patswin's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10189

He will be back

milwaukee mike
    milwaukee mike's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7585

same old stuff with the cubs.
    guys quitting, guys punching each other, players criticizing fans, still no playoff wins since bartman 2003, etc etc

in milwaukee we just laugh at this stuff, how do you spend over $100 million for 8 years in a row, have guys like prior, wood, zambrano in the rotation and still get no playoff wins in 8 years. and also the worst home record in the national league last year

bettilimbroke999
    bettilimbroke999's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 506

For the money hes guaranteed I'd throw cut fastballs (by cut I mean 1 inch cut) belt high over the center of the plate every time like Lackey does, give up 9 runs a game and cash your check...oh yea while ur giving up 9 runs if anyone ever fails to make a miraculous diving catch or fails to turn 2 when it was nearly impossible anyway then look at them like you're in complete fuckin shock and disgust at how badly they suck implying that the fielding is the real reason they are down 15 runs like Lackey does everytime just for a laugh

Then throw another 1 inch cutter down the middle and watch it leave the park for the 10th time
    Last edited by bettilimbroke999; 08-13-11 at 09:29 AM.

stevenash
    stevenash's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 32303

Quote Originally Posted by Affirmed3 View Post
    Probably suspended by the Cubs for the season

fyp

stevenash

Quote Originally Posted by milwaukee mike View Post
    same old stuff with the cubs.
    guys quitting, guys punching each other, players criticizing fans, still no playoff wins since bartman 2003, etc etc

in milwaukee we just laugh at this stuff, how do you spend over $100 million for 8 years in a row, have guys like prior, wood, zambrano in the rotation and still get no playoff wins in 8 years. and also the worst home record in the national league last year

Cubs ownership doesn't care.
    They sell out every game, they look out in the stands and laugh all the way to the bank.
    Ownership makes all that sponsor money too.

They have stupid season ticket holders, that renew every season no matter what washed up player they put out on the field.

They are guaranteed sell outs, Joe Tourist on his vacation makes Wrigley a must see tourist stop.

I repeat, as long as that park is packed every game, ownership will never give a shit.

EaglesPhan36
    EaglesPhan36's Avatar Become A Pro!

Lovable LoZers

HoulihansTX
    Bowl $ea$on
    HoulihansTX's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 295

He is not going anywhere. Not even wealthy men walk away from a guaranteed $20+ million.

Cubs will probably try and force him to retire, by sending him to the minors next year.

tcmoody99
    tcmoody99's Avatar Become A Pro!

god can honestly say i can pitch that bad!

Ralphie Halves
    Ralphie Halves's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15084

Biggest fukking baby the game has seen in decades.

Love how just about every "macho" dude you see out there has every female trait in the book. Nature's pussies is what they are when it gets down to it. No mental toughness.

koz-man
    Medula Oblongata
    koz-man's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11971

Quote Originally Posted by TheMoneyShot View Post
    Why does this guy have a temper all the time? He's the kind of guy that acts tough... but he would go down with one clean shot to his grill. I hate that guy...
    Agree 100 %

CMNoney
    CMNoney's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 6389

Guy is a total nutcase.

Tilt360
    Tilt360's Avatar Become A Pro!

If big Z do retired I think personally Chicago Cubs should give big Z a go away party plus maybe a 1 million dollar.

Tilt360
    Tilt360's Avatar Become A Pro!

for save the Cubs boat load of money, plus no team would want to trade for him.

stevenash

He's been put on the DQ list by the Cubs.
    Z will appeal on Monday.

I hope it gets shot down, the guy quit on his team and his boss

VegasVixen
    Update your status
    VegasVixen's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1357

Quote Originally Posted by stevenash View Post
    Cubs ownership doesn't care.
    They sell out every game, they look out in the stands and laugh all the way to the bank.
    ...I repeat, as long as that park is packed every game, ownership will never give a shit.
    I agree 100%, so sad but true. As a lifelong Cubs fan, I used to spend 2-3 days / week in the left field bleachers when I was in college. I'd pay $10 maybe $15 for a ticket? I moved away 15 years ago... last summer I paid $85 x 4 seats for crappy grandstand tickets for the priviledge of watching the Cubs lose 18-2.

The "loveable losers" are now just losers now in my book. I'm done with Wrigley and the entire ownership of the franchise.

Carseller4
    Carseller4's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5045

Quote Originally Posted by stevenash View Post
    He's been put on the DQ list by the Cubs.
    Z will appeal on Monday.

I hope it gets shot down, the guy quit on his team and his boss
    Good Call.

Guy is mentally disabled. He needs help.

EDIT: Thought it read Disabled list.

We are on the same page!

stevenash

Disqualified list.

ATLANTA -- Carlos Zambrano has been placed on the disqualified list and will go 30 days without pay and without contact with his team, the Chicago Cubs announced Saturday.

"His actions last night were totally intolerable," Cubs general manager Jim Hendry said. "This was the most stringent penalty we could enforce without a release."

After giving up five home runs in a 10-4 loss to the Atlanta Braves and getting ejected for throwing at Chipper Jones on Friday, Zambrano cleaned out his locker and told trainers and clubhouse people during the game that he was "retiring."

After speaking with Zambrano's agent, Barry Praver, on Saturday, Hendry said it's his understanding that Zambrano is not retiring at this point.

Hendry also said that while he hasn't heard from the Major League Baseball Players Association, he expects it might file a grievance due to the severity of the punishment.

"His actions last night are very detrimental to his teammates," Hendry said. "There's not much worse than running out on your teammates and announcing your retirement."

Cubs pitching coach Mark Riggins, one of the last team members to speak to Zambrano during an in-game visit to the mound, said he didn't see Zambrano's actions coming.

bettilimbroke999
    bettilimbroke999's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 506

Quote Originally Posted by VegasVixen View Post
    I agree 100%, so sad but true. As a lifelong Cubs fan, I used to spend 2-3 days / week in the left field bleachers when I was in college. I'd pay $10 maybe $15 for a ticket? I moved away 15 years ago... last summer I paid $85 x 4 seats for crappy grandstand tickets for the priviledge of watching the Cubs lose 18-2.

The "loveable losers" are now just losers now in my book. I'm done with Wrigley and the entire ownership of the franchise.
    Hard to believe anyone would pay even 10 bucks to watch the overpaid trash they put on the field now, the Cubs fuckin blow, this team is not even a pro team in my opinion

The joke is that they pay 100+ million a year for this garbage, they love to ridiculously overpay players like the 8 year 136 million dollar contract with Soriano who is just fukin run of the mill if u ask me .275 lifetime batter and a horrific fielder but how they spent over a 100 mil a year on the players theyve got out there now I'll never know
    Last edited by bettilimbroke999; 08-13-11 at 05:11 PM.

dom75
    dom75's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 511

What a great player..... his pitching sucked the last few outings and he quits on his team. Guess this is the curse of cubbie land for this year.

12 Last