jack meoff
    jack meoff's Avatar Become A Pro!

Its all about who you know...fukk college. its all about networking

thetrinity
    penetrate me to tears
    thetrinity's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5536

i think its a good experience however too costly. even if you get a job in your field youll be in debt for a long time. i know plenty of people who have made it without any college. i suggest trying to get a scholarship or going to a cc for 2 years to cut the costs. i wanted to go to a community college at first cuz i wasnt sure wat to do and i listened to my mother and went straight to a bigger university. now i got student loans out the ass (after 5 1/2 years of school because of changing majors around).

alling
    alling's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1802

I know someone who got a degree in Philosophy. After graduation she took classes on Oracle that took only a year. She now makes well into six figures and has plenty of career opportunities.

fsfalcons
    fsfalcons's Avatar Become A Pro!

what kind of classes did she take on Oracle?

sweethook
    sweethook's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10440

shit u'l learn more in 3 weeks on my dirt road, than u'l ever learn in any dam school, so get a shovel

lolguy999
    C++ programming sucks..
    lolguy999's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 64

havn't you guys figured out yet? everything america is a scam. Rich always getting richer while the poor might keep constant bank roll money, more cash are being printed so the poor people's money will value less and less, time to move to canada or iceland people
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: BuddyBear

SportsMushroom
    SportsMushroom's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6839

Quote Originally Posted by lolguy999 View Post
    havn't you guys figured out yet? everything america is a scam. Rich always getting richer while the poor might keep constant bank roll money, more cash are being printed so the poor people's money will value less and less, time to move to canada or iceland people
    sad truth is the system is set up so that the poor stay poor, you acquire debt to go to college, you acquire debt to buy a car, you acquire debt to buy a house, you acquire debt if god forbid something happens to you (and you know the god damn insurance isnt gonna pay up). at the end of the day, you gonna be working for the bank until your bushy eyebrows turn gray and then some
    Last edited by SportsMushroom; 08-19-11 at 09:34 AM.

Jimmydafreak
    Jimmydafreak's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 138

College Conspiracy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpZtX32sKVE&feature=pyv&ad=6739540474&kw=bernanke

Well worth taking the time to watch.

Points Awarded:

Nismo gave Jimmydafreak 40 SBR Point(s) for this post.

CanuckG
    CanuckG's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 584

Watched that video many times above and while I agree with parts.....better to go and give yourself an opportunity to get a higher paying job

goblue12
    goblue12's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 453

If you major in something where there's an immediate need (health care, select areas of teaching, etc.) then a bachelors is worth every penny.

Nats' Fan
    Nats' Fan's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 301

In the United States, if you don't have a Bachelor's degree, you won't get in the door..

Ice House
    Ice House's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by rsnnh12 View Post
    Depends on your major. Accounting, anything medical, etc, yes it is worth it. English, art, literature, not so much.

true. I am a liberal arts major and I have a 4 year degree. these days everyone and their brother has a college degree. It really doesn't mean anything unless you are going to be a doctor or accountant. Not once have I been in an interview and the interviewing person question whether I really had a college degree or not.

back in the 70s, 80s, early 90s college degree meant much more.

frankthetank
    frankthetank's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 103

its really about your genetic make up. if you carry yourself well have a work ethic and are smart you will succeed. if you need education or training to make that happen a degree is good for that. the price of college and the business/scam it has become has made it less attractive to many more people. I think you will see specialty colleges and community colleges take the lead in the immediate future. i went to a CC for two years and learned more there than the two I spent at a University.

scratbandit
    scratbandit's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 630

Since I majored in drinking and minored in sexual harassment... The money was well worth it..

samgurt
    samgurt's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 90

If you want to save money...just go to a community college for the 1st 2 years of your program and get all you general credits out of the way. Then for the last 2 years, finish up your program at the university

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE
    pavyracer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 410

University is a scam? Do you realize that without university research you wouldn't be having iphones and android phones and no drugs to cure even the flu?

lolguy999
    C++ programming sucks..
    lolguy999's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 64

9:50 mark of the video jimmy posted what the guy said... shocked me, because it made sense, ill repost but all credit goes to jimmy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpZtX...74&kw=bernanke

Metatron
    Metatron's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 187

Go to university, but go to a cheap university. People dont' care where you have a degree from as long as the school is accredited. You can find places to get a full 4 year degree for $10,000. If you go to Harvard you are looking at $50,000 minimum. I used to hire people in the business field (banking) and one of the things that is a must is a bachelor degree. It doesn't matter where it is from as long as it is not one of those online universities (legit brick and mortar schools all count regardless of price). If you want to be an even stronger hire then continue after the BA with a MBA during work. At the bank I worked for we payed people to continue working and to get their MBA at the same time. We instantly give them a promotion when they finished! Most people think education is a scam because they get a degree and expect everything to be handed to them. Not, the case, you still have to work just as hard as you would without the degree, you just have more options for the career you chose (and these options are generally more lucrative).

valaub04
    valaub04's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 171

trying to think of degrees that would be useful. try being an engineer, a medical professional, a lawyer, accountant, teacher, pharmacist, veterinarian, programmer, manager/supervisor with "real" responsibilities, heck even liberal arts, english, earth sciences, etc. give a well rounded background. if you have the chance to go, go. well worth it.

i don't understand how people rack up such huge school loans. you can start earning college credit as early as high school. stay local, finish quickly, and don't get buried in debt. pretty simple.

oh, and have fun... it's a blast.

Wrecktangle
    Wrecktangle's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3209

Almost anything in Data Mining is red hot right now. The IT fields will also always get you a job. My field of Operation Research has been under subscribed since World War II, especially with the military. Notice a common thread? Math skills. Unfortunately, math in sports seems to draw the "your math, idea, technique, dogma is not good enough for me so I'll resort to calling you names" attitude typically shown in the Handicapper "Think Tank."

Sigh.

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8638

Not only do you have to have a degree to get anyplace high in this nation, but it had better be from an excellent school. I guarantee you that degrees from Cal, Stanford, USC and UCLA mean a lot more than degrees from Arizona, Arizona State, Oregon, or Washington State. Just look at your judges and see where they got their undergrad and graduate degrees.

Wrecktangle
    Wrecktangle's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3209

Quote Originally Posted by BigdaddyQH View Post
    Not only do you have to have a degree to get anyplace high in this nation, but it had better be from an excellent school. I guarantee you that degrees from Cal, Stanford, USC and UCLA mean a lot more than degrees from Arizona, Arizona State, Oregon, or Washington State. Just look at your judges and see where they got their undergrad and graduate degrees.
    That's because those schools have bigger or more active mafias than others.

The crappy community college we have here in San Diego is a good example. At one place I worked if you had a degree from SDSU, the head of the HR dept took care of you, if you didn't, no help. In LA (Lower Alabama) my degree from Auburn was golden, and it was actually dangerous to have gone to Tuscaloosa.

Really stupid stuff.

BarkingToad
    BarkingToad's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 19139

Quote Originally Posted by samgurt View Post
    If you want to save money...just go to a community college for the 1st 2 years of your program and get all you general credits out of the way. Then for the last 2 years, finish up your program at the university

JMobile
    CM Punk -1000.5 (100X)
    JMobile's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 26848

Quote Originally Posted by ngates815 View Post
    I have multiple friends that Graduated from 4 years.

The only ones that have jobs for what they went to school for are the teachers. Half of them have BS jobs while they are sitting back looking at their student loans of 60K, wondering how the fukk they'll ever pay that down.

Quite a few friends went into Union work instead of going to college. They are doing fine, laid off from time to time, but they don't have huge school loans to pay off, and make a decent buck doing their trade, so they can live fine if they are off for a month or so (which normally just do side jobs)

If you work hard enough, I'm sure school will pay off, if you're trying to get into the right kind of work.
    I have work with over 8 coworkers in different jobs who have their Bachelor's and what not. Funny thing is, I've carried the same position in job title as they have. I ask them when their degree will come and handy, all they keep saying is that places they have apply for require experience. How do they get experience when it is require to? Doesn't make sense.

Uncle Harv
    Uncle Harv's Avatar Become A Pro!

Isnt this a college FOOTBALL forum???

BigDofBA
    BigDofBA's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2011

To me it is. My degree is what got me a good job.

marcoloco
    marcoloco's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9120

Quote Originally Posted by ngates815 View Post
    I have multiple friends that Graduated from 4 years.

The only ones that have jobs for what they went to school for are the teachers. Half of them have BS jobs while they are sitting back looking at their student loans of 60K, wondering how the fukk they'll ever pay that down.

Quite a few friends went into Union work instead of going to college. They are doing fine, laid off from time to time, but they don't have huge school loans to pay off, and make a decent buck doing their trade, so they can live fine if they are off for a month or so (which normally just do side jobs)

If you work hard enough, I'm sure school will pay off, if you're trying to get into the right kind of work.
    same here. i have alot of frens who went to school. huge debt. struggling to get by. but i also have some who went to a 4 year and have been doing fine ever since they graduated. large loan still but living the good life

Thunder Gulch
    Thunder Gulch's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 204

Quote Originally Posted by jack meoff View Post
    Its all about who you know...fukk college. its all about networking
    You just made perhaps the strongest case FOR going to college. The connections and life friends you should be making in college will pay off when you enter the real world.

First 12