opie1988
    I have a MAJOR fukkin clue..
    opie1988's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1012

Where's all the Stock Market threads today??

Funny how all the doomsdayers are so quiet today? Market is up almost 5%, yet nary a peep. A few days ago when we had a -3% drop, every other thread in PT was some market guru telling everyone the apocalypse was upon us, and anyone who didn't liquidate their portfolio, as well as their 401k, was an idiot.

I personally remain extremely optimistic for the US economy. While I believe volatility will be inevitable, I remain steadfast in the mindset of keeping a level head. No reason to follow the lemming off of the cliff simply because they say so. Misery loves company, boys.

Opportunities abound in this marketplace. Long term the US, as the world's largest economy, remains full of promise. This is evident by the unwavering confidence in US bonds even after S&P's ridiculous decision to downgrade.

Those who ride out the storm with their eye on long term growth will be the ones who prosper.

Those who join the sheep......well, you already know what happens to sheep.

SBR
    Poster of
    Year 2011

spankie
    Long Live Rodney!
    spankie's Avatar Become A Pro!

nary?

really opie?

opie1988

Quote Originally Posted by spankie View Post
    nary?
    really opie?
    Very rare opportunity to use the word "nary" in its proper context.

I find its usage exhilarating and sublime.
    Points Awarded:

stevenash gave opie1988 1 SBR Point(s) for this post.

SBR
    Poster of
    Year 2011

topgame85
    topgame85's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3082

Opie you are a lovable guy pal but know this- trouble is ahead and especially for those in your income bracket. The top tier can't prop the economy up forever and the bottom tier is getting lower and lower. just because a bunch of people are trying to keep market levels high enough to stop mass hysteria does not mean that is not where we are headed. It may just take us a bit longer to get there..... the dollar is dead and with that and unemployment there will be much pain before promise.
    Last edited by topgame85; 08-11-11 at 03:08 PM.

UntilTheNDofTimE
    I thought i told you that we dont stop
    UntilTheNDofTimE's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 151

The sheep got slaughtered. The smart ones got in made a quick buck.

I made a killing on monday but am down since then. Still up about 4 months salary since monday though .
    Less volatility= no money

SBR_John
    Wisky
    SBR_John's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 42225

Got a little boring.

Hopefully the younger guys will learn that stock investing is best if its done long term, basically over a lifetime. Nothing wrong with trading but it should be lumped in with your gambling budget, not your investing money. And when you are investing you want to buy when there is blood in the streets(according to Warren Buffet). The streets have been bloody lately.

Emily_Haines
    Emily_Haines's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15296

You only lost 10% even with today's big gains over the last week

Most of the gains over the last few years were to QE2 and other stimulus programs

Unemployment at 9%+, record foreclosure, banks failing left and right, record debt by government and citizens.

Yeah sure the market is going to rocket to 20k

opie1988

Quote Originally Posted by UntilTheNDofTimE View Post
    The sheep got slaughtered. The smart ones got in made a quick buck.
    I made a killing on monday but am down since then. Still up about 4 months salary since monday though .
    Less volatility= no money
    I agree with this as far as short term gains. I personally do not have the time to successfully engage in short term investments. To do so without educating yourself to me is no better than blindly betting on a game just for action.

I don't even consider what I do investing in the "Stock Market". I invest in companies in which I believe in, such as TXI, Disney, and Target. These types of investments aren't going to get you wealthy overnight, but I think they have sound business plans which will provide a safe return over time.

SBR
    Poster of
    Year 2011

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE
    pavyracer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 410

Watch it drop again tomorrow. It's a cat and mouse game right now. Shorts come out just before closing the day before and cover their positions early in the morning the next day. When it closes down 5% the night before and opens up just 1% the next day you make profit by shorting the night before. It's really not rocket science.

opie1988

Quote Originally Posted by pavyracer View Post
    Watch it drop again tomorrow. It's a cat and mouse game right now. Shorts come out just before closing the day before and cover their positions early in the morning the next day. When it closes down 5% the night before and opens up just 1% the next day you make profit by shorting the night before. It's really not rocket science.

Guess you got it all figured out. Sounds like easy millions to be made doing it your way. Congrats to you, pal.

SBR
    Poster of
    Year 2011

UntilTheNDofTimE
    I thought i told you that we dont stop
    UntilTheNDofTimE's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 151

Quote Originally Posted by opie1988 View Post
    I agree with this as far as short term gains. I personally do not have the time to successfully engage in short term investments. To do so without educating yourself to me is no better than blindly betting on a game just for action. I don't even consider what I do investing in the "Stock Market". I invest in companies in which I believe in, such as TXI, Disney, and Target. These types of investments aren't going to get you wealthy overnight, but I think they have sound business plans which will provide a safe return over time.
    , Sorry i just lol. I used to work for Target and management was a joke. Target's business plan. Higher young supervisors at 22 straight out of college and run them into the dirt for 70 hours a week on a 40 hour salary for 45k a year. God the turnover rate for management is so high. But i agree the business structure is pretty sound.

I work for Pepsico now and god what a fcking joke of a company it is. Every supervisor and manager is incompetent to do anything to improve efficiency in that warehouse. With half a brain you could increase profits by 10% at my facility.

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner
    No coincidences's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 16541

I appreciate your enthusiasm opie and I'd love for you to pass the Kool-Aid, but what, exactly, is encouraging about our current economic state and its ability to prosper anytime in the near future? The dysfunctional fundamentals and peripherals all spell trouble (have for a while now), and our lack of leadership is startling (and will continue to be as long as big business pulls the strings behind closed doors).

I'd love for you to instill some confidence in me, but it's going to take more than "we're the USA" and "long-term the stock market's always been a viable investment" talk to make me a believer, given what's going on around it.

Convince me opie.

ChuckyTheGoat
    ChuckyTheGoat's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 24857

Nice, Opie. Make some coin.

Salud to you, sir.

opie1988

Quote Originally Posted by No coincidences View Post
    I appreciate your enthusiasm opie and I'd love for you to pass the Kool-Aid, but what, exactly, is encouraging about our current economic state and its ability to prosper anytime in the near future? The dysfunctional fundamentals and peripherals all spell trouble (have for a while now), and our lack of leadership is startling (and will continue to be as long as big business pulls the strings behind closed doors).
    I'd love for you to instill some confidence in me, but it's going to take more than "we're the USA" and "long-term the stock market's always been a viable investment" talk to make me a believer, given what's going on around it.
    Convince me opie.
    It seems like you're already convinced, pal.....just not in my way of thinking.

Not trying to sway anyone over to the dark side, just wanted to share my thoughts. I'll never argue the point that I lean more to the optimistic side of the street.
    Points Awarded:

harlee71 gave opie1988 1 SBR Point(s) for this post.

SBR
    Poster of
    Year 2011

excel
    unapproved
    excel's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Emily_Haines View Post
    You only lost 10% even with today's big gains over the last week

Most of the gains over the last few years were to QE2 and other stimulus programs

Unemployment at 9%+, record foreclosure, banks failing left and right, record debt by government and citizens.

Yeah sure the market is going to rocket to 20k
    buried

Cap dat 4ss
    okst. -13.5
    Cap dat 4ss's Avatar Become A Pro!

Opie you are right on pal. Nice to see someone with a positive outlook here. Hope youre doing well guy, maybe we'll be able to meet up for the red river Rivalry.

harlee71
    harlee71's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 197

I'll never argue the point that I lean more to the optimistic side of the street.
    I am the same way!

Sure it's good to be cautious, but life is too short to be all doom and gloom. That kind of thought will eat you from the inside out and what kind of life is that?

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner

It seems like you're already convinced, pal.....just not in my way of thinking.

Not trying to sway anyone over to the dark side, just wanted to share my thoughts. I'll never argue the point that I lean more to the optimistic side of the street.

"The dark side" is believing in our own economy? Maybe you didn't understand -- I want to believe. But I'm not just going to blindly tail. You can't ignore the warning signs, the shaky fundamentals, the bad business decisions and the compromising position we're in as a country because big business is in bed with big government.

Convince me opie.

excel
    unapproved
    excel's Avatar Become A Pro!

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner

You know when the Dow also closed at 11,100?

First in 1999.

Then again in 2001.

Sad that we're sitting here a decade later in the exact same boat, sans inflation and a dollar that isn't worth a damn. So in reality, we aren't in the exact same boat.

blackbeSSt
    blackbeSSt's Avatar Become A Pro!

and by market guru making threads, you mean baldy right?

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Well what concerns me is wild swings up and down are signs of a bear market
    The recession also is closing in on us again
    I do not know how we are going to pull out of this one

TheAntFather
    Enlightenment
    TheAntFather's Avatar Become A Pro!

Not surprising the stock market is doing bad this last month. The Gov and Nasa are good at hiding the truth.
    Last edited by TheAntFather; 08-11-11 at 04:10 PM.

King Mayan
    STFU AND SQUAT PUTO
    King Mayan's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3679

Quote Originally Posted by TheAntFather View Post
    Not surprising the stock market is doing bad this last month. The Gov and and Nasa are good at hiding the truth.
    you buffoon.

wantitall4moi
    wantitall4moi's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3834

my wifes 401K which was down about 14% the other day is now down 'only' 9.6%, and after today should be only about 6 and change. So even in a week that looked like people were going to kill themselves it isnt life changing.

But then again it was up about 6% for the year, in April so that is still a 15% swing in just a little over 3 months. Still not a great time but they'll prop it up the closer to election time, that will be the time to really look to cash out.

TheAntFather
    Enlightenment

Quote Originally Posted by King Mayan View Post
    you buffoon.
    You're the only buffoon I see here. I'm surprised you are still on this site you childish troll.

Glitch
    Glitch's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5224

You're the only buffoon I see here. I'm surprised you are still on this site you childish troll.
    bet you wont say that to him in front of 7-eleven

RubberKettle
    RubberKettle's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 791

Calm before the storm.

William Walters
    William Walters's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 233

Quote Originally Posted by spankie View Post
    nary?

really opie?

Fukkin Spank..........I was literally scrolling down to type the SAME THING!

TheAntFather
    Enlightenment

I will say it to him in a dark alley you fkin pu*sy. I made this kid go silent 3 months ago on this site. Come to Texas anytime anywhere and I'll show you to a good time. It pays to be hispanic coming out of Texas prison systems..

NYSportsGuy210
    NYSportsGuy210's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 131

Made good on some short-term trades. These wild swings....you can only speculate from day to day. Only safe long-term bet is APPL will hit about $500 by January of 2012.

TheAntFather
    Enlightenment

Quote Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
    bet you wont say that to him in front of 7-eleven
    Now go play with your dolls little kid and dream about being a man one day.

William Walters
    William Walters's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 233

I will say it to him in a dark alley you fkin pu*sy. I made this kid go silent 3 months ago on this site. Come to Texas anytime anywhere and I'll show you to a good time. It pays to be hispanic coming out of Texas prison systems..
    Fukkin great........yet another tough guy.

BTW......the fact that you've been in the "prison system" screams of low life.

12 Last