mebaran
    Con los terroristas
    mebaran's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 330

Real Madrid Signs a 7 Year Old...

[Moderators, not sure if this the best forum for this. Please feel free to transfer it.]

Ok. I read that Real Madrid just signed a 7 year old...almost like a futures contract.

So, it looks like I know what sport I'm teaching my kids...

Yes, 7 years of age seems way too young, but think outside the box for a second. What if this kind of strategy was implemented in US sports? However, instead of receiving any money at signing, the child receives a trust fund that will go towards their education.

Example:

A Yankees scout happens across a 10-year-old boy playing baseball in Texas who is the son of an ex-MLB player. He seems to love baseball and is playing above his age level and excelling. The scout relays this information to the team, and the front office decides to extend a "contract" to the young player. The "contract" is a trust fund set up in the child's name, under the stipulation that he gets the money upon, and ONLY upon, college graduation to go towards his education expenses. The "contract" also would stipulate that, in return, the Yankees get "first look" at the player (rights to try him out, negotiate deals, etc).

Is this a billion dollar idea? I know that there are legal, and perhaps ethical issues with signing a person that young. But if you could get around contract law (player not of age to sign any legally binding contracts), and the player really loved the sport, then why not? The worst thing that could happen is the player decides he doesn't like the sport in question anymore, and the team withdraws the funds in the trust per the agreement.

THOUGHTS PLEASE!!!

YorkHunt
    I JUST RELEASED
    YorkHunt's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1507

Im sure this is legal in England

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE
    pavyracer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 410

Quote Originally Posted by YorkHunt View Post
    Im sure this is legal in England
    Real Madrid is in Spain.

mebaran
    Con los terroristas
    mebaran's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 330

Quote Originally Posted by pavyracer View Post
    Real Madrid is in Spain.

Honestly though, I would love to see details of the deal this kid got....not like he can leverage Real Madrid or holdout or anything like that lol.