wtf
    wtf's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 61

scientist: facebook producing generation of retards

Facebook and Twitter are creating a vain generation of self-obsessed people with child-like need for feedback, warns top scientist

By Sarah Harris

Last updated at 8:11 AM on 30th July 2011

Facebook and Twitter have created a generation obsessed with themselves, who have short attention spans and a childlike desire for constant feedback on their lives, a top scientist believes.
    Repeated exposure to social networking sites leaves users with an 'identity crisis', wanting attention in the manner of a toddler saying: 'Look at me, Mummy, I've done this.'
    Baroness Greenfield, professor of pharmacology at Oxford University, believes the growth of internet 'friendships' – as well as greater use of computer games – could effectively 'rewire' the brain.

Vain generation: A top Oxford scientist has warned that repeated exposure to social networking websites could harm users. (Picture posed by model)

This can result in reduced concentration, a need for instant gratification and poor non-verbal skills, such as the ability to make eye contact during conversations.
    More than 750million people across the world use Facebook to share photographs and videos and post regular updates of their movements and thoughts.

More...

Millions have also signed up to Twitter, the 'micro-blogging' service that lets members circulate short text and picture messages about themselves.
    Baroness Greenfield, former director of research body the Royal Institution, said: 'What concerns me is the banality of so much that goes out on Twitter.
    'Why should someone be interested in what someone else has had for breakfast? It reminds me of a small child (saying): “Look at me Mummy, I'm doing this”, “Look at me Mummy I'm doing that”.
    'It's almost as if they're in some kind of identity crisis. In a sense it's keeping the brain in a sort of time warp.'

A twitter message from Stephen Fry

The academic suggested that some Facebook users feel the need to become 'mini celebrities' who are watched and admired by others on a daily basis.
    They do things that are 'Facebook worthy' because the only way they can define themselves is by 'people knowing about them'.
    'It's almost as if people are living in a world that's not a real world, but a world where what counts is what people think of you or (if they) can click on you,' she said.
    'Think of the implications for society if people worry more about what other people think about them than what they think about themselves.'
    Her views were echoed by Sue Palmer, a literacy expert and author, who said girls in particular believe they are a 'commodity they must sell to other people' on Facebook.
    She said: 'People used to have a portrait painted but now we can more or less design our own picture online. It's like being the star of your own reality TV show that you create and put out to the world.'

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE
    pavyracer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 410

like you needed a study to figure out people with 1000 facebook friends are retards

ACoochy
    Am i serious? Are you serious?
    ACoochy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5324

Cause and effect....Anyone who couldnt see this coming from a mile away is probably a user of these sites Fukkin sad what we r allowing ourselves to become Would never have an account at any of thees places...

iceminers26
    iceminers26's Avatar Become A Pro!

It took a scientist to say this, any person with half a brain already realized this, but I do agree with him.

babyjesus
    Up with hope, Down with dope
    babyjesus's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 115

i thought everyone knew this.

Rio DiNero
    using no way as way
    Rio DiNero's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 218

Never saw the need for a facebook, except for networking for a business (ex: nightclub promoter). Why would you want to broadcast your business to the world? If I haven't spoke with you since high school, that means I don't care to speak to you. If I need to get in contact with you, I will find you.

ApricotSinner32
    ApricotSinner32's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 26

This thread topic is awesome. It's true too people are fuking weird thinking I care that they are going out/cleaning their room/jerking off/taking a shit.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: wtf

scottie2005
    Update your status
    scottie2005's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 30487

Each generation is dumber and lazier than the next. Ain't technology wonderful

gshock1
    gshock1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 750

Couldn't agree more

Cap dat 4ss
    okst. -13.5
    Cap dat 4ss's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by ApricotSinner32 View Post
    This thread topic is awesome. It's true too people are fuking weird thinking I care that they are going out/cleaning their room/jerking off/taking a shit.
    Facebook super user

ApricotSinner32
    ApricotSinner32's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 26

Quote Originally Posted by Cap dat 4ss View Post

Facebook super user

bb_skoots
    bb_skoots's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 389

Nice cleavage baby!!!

bettilimbroke999
    bettilimbroke999's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 506

Bettilimbroke is reading a thread on SBR

Sorry just wanted to update you guys

BookiesBernanke
    BookiesBernanke's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 25

Please USA - refine the chinese 1 child policy and adopt the ZERO child policy for about 30 yrs

beach nut
    beach nut's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 83

Quote Originally Posted by Rio DiNero View Post
    Never saw the need for a facebook, except for networking for a business (ex: nightclub promoter). Why would you want to broadcast your business to the world? If I haven't spoke with you since high school, that means I don't care to speak to you. If I need to get in contact with you, I will find you.
    This pretty much sums up my feelings exactly. In a world where everyone has a cell phone and an email address, why do we need anything else to stay in touch with the people we care about? Facebook is a colossal waste of time. Not to mention the loss of productivity in schools and the workplace from people constantly checking this garbage.
    Last edited by beach nut; 07-30-11 at 09:51 AM. Reason: Grammar
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: bb_skoots

Roadtrip635
    Roadtrip635's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 21078

Some people really live for that sheet.

A man in Egypt has named his newborn daughter "Facebook" in honor of the role the social media network played in bringing about a revolution,

A fence is spray painted with the word Facebook in Tahrir Square during protests which saw the ouster of President Mubarak.

http://articles.cnn.com/2011-02-21/w...ia?_s=PM:WORLD

ChuckyTheGoat
    ChuckyTheGoat's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 24812

Good article. Very true.

donkdown
    donkdown's Avatar Become A Pro!

Should be a public service announcement warning all.. Posting on message boards/ facebook you could end up like this guy.

Problem solved...

SportsMushroom
    SportsMushroom's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6839

scientists just jealous no one is twitting at them and no one is friending them on facebook

JW Cash
    JW Cash's Avatar Become A Pro!

mostly people who live in Canada...eh ????/

muldoon
    muldoon's Avatar Become A Pro!

Not much different than people who start a thread, then bump it themselves because no one is interested.

NrmlCurvSurfr
    NrmlCurvSurfr's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 600

hey guys, this is supposed to be on DL. The plan is to create retards, while at the same time, not becoming one...do you want the facebookers to become self-aware?

Lets just keep this to ourselves and enjoy not having as much competition to deal with.

Hazious
    Lake Show Life
    Hazious's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 286

im fukkin hungry. what is everyone eating so i know what to eat

hubba bubba x premium jack

Rich Boy
    Rich Boy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1106

Quote Originally Posted by SportsMushroom View Post
    scientists just jealous no one is twitting at them and no one is friending them on facebook
    Im sure they are crushed...

DwightShrute
    I don't believe you ... please continue
    DwightShrute's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 8560

Quote Originally Posted by bettilimbroke999 View Post
    Bettilimbroke is reading a thread on SBR

Sorry just wanted to update you guys

tony_come
    tony_come's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1122

My friends jerk off to friends on facebook

TobiasFunke
    Never Nude
    TobiasFunke's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 46

Has anyone seen the new Curb your Enthusiasm episode with the woman saying "LOL"? Funny shit...

TobiasFunke
    Never Nude
    TobiasFunke's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 46

Watch from 2:00 on...

excel
    unapproved
    excel's Avatar Become A Pro!

Facebook retards must be migrating here... I see tons of "hey look at me threads."

DwightShrute
    I don't believe you ... please continue
    DwightShrute's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 8560

that Curb your enthusiasm video

face
    face's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 201

can't get into facebook too silly

excel
    unapproved
    excel's Avatar Become A Pro!

Example: Hey look at me I'm down over $30,000 lifetime but I've just decided to start selling my picks. Anyone interested in buying?(true story)

ttwarrior1
    ttwarrior1's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9740

im there for the games and so i can read gossip and remember the good ole days of high school and being abused

hubie69
    I am JJs bookie
    hubie69's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 617

hahaha, not at all surprising. I'm continually stunned at the grasp America is loosing on the english language.

12 Last