UntilTheNDofTimE
    I thought i told you that we dont stop
    UntilTheNDofTimE's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 151

Dissability claim, is this legal, is my company screwing me?

I was disabled for a period of 2 weeks. Long story short i work in California for a very large company, they use a 3rd party company that will collect your disability information for you to make it easier to file your claim. You employer will then pay you your disability through normal payroll land will be reimbursed by the California State disability insurance plan.

I work a lot of overtime. about 35-45% of my pay is overtime. This 3rd party company tells me they can only take into account my 40 hours of regular pay when calculating my benefit amount in eligible for. When i called the state they tell me its whatever is your highest earning quarter during a given time frame. Since they go by earnings this would include overtime.

After this 3rd party company told me my benefit amount and it was so slow that's when i decided to fill out the paperwork for SDI myself and see what benefit amount im eligible for. This 3rd party company is suppose ot be doing this there selves but i believe them to to screwing me.

The state of California sent me a form back saying i was eligible for a amount about 40% higher than the benefit amount the 3rd party company said i was eligible for. Now here's the big illegal activity. When setting up the disability plan through this 3rd party company you had to sign a right of reimbursement form saying you allow your employer to be reimbursed by the state of California for you disability benefits your employers is paying you. Pretty simple since your getting paid through regular payroll from your employer its only right you allow the state to reimburse them.

my question is are they collecting my full benefit from the state and then only paying me about 60% of it back? The form i signed said this....

I acknowledge I am
    obligated to reimburse the plan, as stated in the plan, up to 100%, or to the full extent of any net recovery.
    “Net Recovery” means ALL OTHER PAYMENTS received that arise from the illness or injury, after reduction of such
    payments by any attorney’s fees and other legal expenses that may be incurred in obtaining the recovery

If this is true this should be a multi million dollar lawsuit. There doing this to all employees.

Cap dat 4ss
    okst. -13.5
    Cap dat 4ss's Avatar Become A Pro!

Business as usual
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: LostBankroll

lemart5
    FOOTBALL TIME
    lemart5's Avatar Become A Pro!

Find you a lawyer Pepsi is tryig to screw you .

UntilTheNDofTimE

i talked to multiple employees who have been on disability all said they received a amount that was 55% of there 40 hour pay. The state of California defines your benefit amount by your total gross earnings within a quarter and then give you 55%.

WvGambler
    WvGambler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 150

I think a lawyer would be more useful than Sbr. Just saying.

topgame85
    topgame85's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3082

What biz are you in that so many employess are on disability? I have never worked a job where anyone has needed to claim it and see it as a huge scam... you work you get paid you don't then you don't..... unless you are a mine worker or in serious construction I don't see how you could hurt yourself and expect to be paid for it, most times people hurt themselves being dumb.......

UntilTheNDofTimE

I work in a warehouse so a bunch of people get hurt all the time. About 8 states in this country have mandatory disability plans that you pay for in your state taxes. So if you were to become very ill or sustain a injury( in or out of work), physical or mental, you will be compensated while your out of work.

mmike032
    mmike032's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8274

is this a workers comp claim?
    should be if you were hurt at work..
    disability would be a disability that keeps you from working for the rest of your life????

guess it might be different over there though.

UntilTheNDofTimE

Quote Originally Posted by mmike032 View Post
    is this a workers comp claim? should be if you were hurt at work.. disability would be a disability that keeps you from working for the rest of your life???? guess it might be different over there though.
    Injury didnt take place at work.
    California has something called "Short term disability" which is a period longer than 8 days but less than 6 months. When i took said paperwork to my employer to put me out of work they told me i needed to file my claim through this 3rd party company because they wouldn't take any phone calls from the state to verify employment and collect information. That's why big company's hire 3rd party company to handle that end for them.

topgame85
    topgame85's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3082

Sounds like a free vacation.... wish I could get one of those

UntilTheNDofTimE

Quote Originally Posted by topgame85 View Post
    Yes you just have to sustain a real injury and get a real doctor to put you out of work for more than 8 days. Doctors don't do this easily. You have to have a serious condition.

Plus its not free will cost you $50 bucks a month in taxes for the rest of your life.

InTheDrink
    Drinker of the Year
    InTheDrink's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 527

Quote Originally Posted by WvGambler View Post
    why pay for good advice when you can get shltty advice for free?

Didn't I read that UToT is like 20 somewhere? This is going to lead him down a path of shady job practices untiltheendoftime.

nyjets15
    nyjets15's Avatar Become A Pro!

Good luck to you....but this is not the place for questions like this....a lawyer would be much better

mmike032
    mmike032's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8274

sounds like thats how the 3rd company makes their money.
    ie: they pay you 40% and the state pays them 60%

LockPickMaster
    LockPickMaster's Avatar Become A Pro!

this guy is a ninja

capitalist pig
    capitalist pig's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 346

Pretty much standard procedure, at least out here in FL. You get about 65% of your normal 40 hours of pay.

later

Housemoney
    Housemoney's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5020

Don't you work for Pepsi? Both long term disability and short term disability should be part of your benefits package. Read up on your benefits or contact HR. I don't care what California's wacky programs are. A national company has STD and LTD benefits.

marcojuiceman
    marcojuiceman's Avatar Become A Pro!

thats normal for short term you only get 60% of your take home pay. if its long term you get 100%

LostBankroll
    who is the bitch in my avy???
    LostBankroll's Avatar Become A Pro!

Its called the AC Bash.

Extra Innings
    Extra Innings's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 315

Multi Million would be an understatement my friend.

Sdotbold
    Update your status
    Sdotbold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 148

What biz are you in that so many employees are on disability? I have never worked a job where anyone has needed to claim it and see it as a huge scam... you work you get paid you don't then you don't..... unless you are a mine worker or in serious construction I don't see how you could hurt yourself and expect to be paid for it, most times people hurt themselves being dumb.......
    I pay into NJ Disability and NJ unemployment Insurance. You better believe if i need to use it, I will. Its my insurance policy just in case something happens. I understand when people abuse these things its a major problem. I think a lot of folks do take advantage of the system, but you cannot just make a blanket statement like u don't work you don't get paid. some people have legitimate issues why they cant work. ( yes I am employed full time. Lol 50-60 hrs a week. Just don't like when people bash things they don't know about.)

FrozenMAN
    2020 Big Ten CHAMPS!
    FrozenMAN's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4112

big deal i worked at the grocery store as frozen manager for all of hs and early college years during the summer and i hurt myself and cut myself and back was sore all that shit.....suck it up and get to work ya wuss

stop milking the system...we had plenty of those tools doing that, one guy ive seen leave the store in an ambulance 6 times....6 motherfuckers.....6 times!

shoulda been put into the baler and crushed

kmarinouofm
    Those who stay.. will be Champions!
    kmarinouofm's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3463

sounds like u got a decent case man

Hoja Verdes
    Broncos Under 7.5 Wins -105
    Hoja Verdes's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 169

Quote Originally Posted by WvGambler View Post
    Understatement.

My two cents: you're gonna have to go the lawyer route, and even then you're looking at a case years in the making. For the purposes of your income in the short-term, you signed something that clearly stated you were only entitled to 100% of the "net recovery." That's like saying, "hey buddy, i'll go collect that $50 Johnny owes you, and give you 100% of the net recovery after my fee. My fee is 50%...so here's 100% of $25...nice doin' business with you."

My guess is that the third party company gives a portion of your full amount to your employer, and keeps a portion for itself. That way when they sell the service to your employer they can say "here's the deal: we do all the paperwork, handle the entire claim, see it through the process, and the company will actually make money on the deal, so it's technically a profitable event when your workers miss time due to disability, rather than a loss."

Business as usual...welcome to crony capitalism.