UntilTheNDofTimE
    I thought i told you that we dont stop
    UntilTheNDofTimE's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 151

Earned runs question in MLB

I do Fantasy baseball and i had a question. Certain earned runs rules in baseball seem to confuse me.

So in the Dodger game Kershaw was Pitching the Top of the 7th

The inning went like this.....

- J. Upton struck out swinging -
    C. Young safe at first on third baseman J. Uribe's fielding error -
    C. Young to second on balk -
    S. Drew struck out swinging -
    R. Roberts walked -
    M. Montero singled to shallow left, C. Young scored, R. Roberts to third -
    X. Nady homered to deep center, R. Roberts and M. Montero scored -
    S. Burroughs hit for A. Heilman -
    S. Burroughs struck out swinging

So since there was a error that would of been the 2nd out, theoretically the inning would of been over after Drew struck out. So they charge no runs to Kershaw?

I understand this but sometimes i think ive seen a situation where there will be a error on what would of been the 3rd out and runs will still get charged to the pitcher. I may be incorrect but if someone can explain it to me id appreciate it.

On a side note Kershaw is on my team so im happy over the rule...hahahah

iceminers26
    iceminers26's Avatar Become A Pro!

In the scenerio above , I thought he should have been charged with 3 ER and 1 UER

UntilTheNDofTimE
    I thought i told you that we dont stop
    UntilTheNDofTimE's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 151

Yea i thought unearned runs only account for the single runner put on base my the error. In this case C young

harlee71
    harlee71's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 197

Since the inning would have been over, all runs scored after the 3rd out would have been recorded are all unearned. From my understanding.
    Last edited by harlee71; 07-15-11 at 11:20 PM. Reason: added comma

ehp6737
    ehp6737's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 32

The official scorer will "reconstruct" the inning on the premise that the "error" would have been an out, hence not counting any runs as earned after there should have been 3 outs recorded, EVEN if those runs came in a manner that normally would have been considered earned. I dont particularly agree with this rule. Personally in this situation I think Kershaw should have been charged with 3ER, 1 UER. A lot of scoring rules in basebal dont make sense, for example, a batter hits a flyball to center and the fielder just stands there and lets it drop right in front of him it wouldnt be considered an error because he didnt touch it. WTF

harlee71
    harlee71's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 197

Quote Originally Posted by ehp6737 View Post
    A lot of scoring rules in basebal dont make sense, for example, a batter hits a flyball to center and the fielder just stands there and lets it drop right in front of him it wouldnt be considered an error because he didnt touch it. WTF
    That would be fielders indifference, the same as the catcher letting a runner take a base and not throwing when the run is meaningless.

If the fielder tried to make a play and does not touch the ball, then that is an error.

Jrod124
    Update your status
    Jrod124's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 535

Quote Originally Posted by ehp6737 View Post
    The official scorer will "reconstruct" the inning on the premise that the "error" would have been an out, hence not counting any runs as earned after there should have been 3 outs recorded, EVEN if those runs came in a manner that normally would have been considered earned. I dont particularly agree with this rule. Personally in this situation I think Kershaw should have been charged with 3ER, 1 UER. A lot of scoring rules in basebal dont make sense, for example, a batter hits a flyball to center and the fielder just stands there and lets it drop right in front of him it wouldnt be considered an error because he didnt touch it. WTF
    exactly they don't make sense but those are the rules. I have Kershaw, none of the runs should have been earned period