Swinging Johnson
    Swinging Johnson's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5614

Has this happened to you?

It's a relatively new phenomenon and I correlate it to the 20 somethings being much more isloated due to the internet.

You're on with customer service for, well, anything and you give them your information. As they search they say nothing.............and you cough to find out if they're still there and still nothing. Until they find what they're looking for they won't say boo. Half the time I don't know if I'm still connected.

Before, they would give you a courtesy comment like "I appreciate your patience, it will just be a minute" or "sorry fort he delay" or even "how's the weather where you are?" Anything to let me know they're still there. My gripe for the day.

Dax
    Formerly known as the Linesman!
    Dax's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 210

Can't chew gum and walk at the same time... that's why there's so much dead air between "searches".

opie1988
    I have a MAJOR fukkin clue..
    opie1988's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1012

All the time.

Another of my favorites is when I call a business and specifically ask for someone by name (i.e. "Could you ring Glen's office for me, please?"), and some kid answering the phone says, "Yeah...who's this?"

"Who's this?" That's the most courteous way you could think of to ask a customer their name? Really??

I also like when I ask "is so-and-so in?".....and I get a "Yes he is", followed by an uncomfortable, extended silence until finally they usually follow with "You wanna talk to him?".

No.....I was simply calling to do an inventory count on who all is actually there today!!

Fukkin' kids!!! Thanks for getting me all upset again this morning, Johnson.

SBR
    Poster of
    Year 2011

Double Bogey
    Double Bogey's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1472

Quote Originally Posted by Swinging Johnson View Post
    It's a relatively new phenomenon and I correlate it to the 20 somethings being much more isloated due to the internet.

You're on with customer service for, well, anything and you give them your information. As they search they say nothing.............and you cough to find out if they're still there and still nothing. Until they find what they're looking for they won't say boo. Half the time I don't know if I'm still connected.

Before, they would give you a courtesy comment like "I appreciate your patience, it will just be a minute" or "sorry fort he delay" or even "how's the weather where you are?" Anything to let me know they're still there. My gripe for the day.
    Actually I prefer that. I really dont want to have small talk with some idiot manning the phones in customer service.

Fang-Banger
    Fang-Banger's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 186

Thanks for wasting the 30 seconds of my life it took to read this after clicking on the subject title

Tech N9ne
    Tech N9ne's Avatar Become A Pro!

Yes

PittsburghPlayer
    PittsburghPlayer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10667

Quote Originally Posted by opie1988 View Post
    All the time. Another of my favorites is when I call a business and specifically ask for someone by name (i.e. "Could you ring Glen's office for me, please?"), and some kid answering the phone says, "Yeah...who's this?" "Who's this?" That's the most courteous way you could think of to ask a customer their name? Really?? I also like when I ask "is so-and-so in?".....and I get a "Yes he is", followed by an uncomfortable, extended silence until finally they usually follow with "You wanna talk to him?". No.....I was simply calling to do an inventory count on who all is actually there today!! Fukkin' kids!!! Thanks for getting me all upset again this morning, Johnson.
    Actually Opie, I was taught that when you place a call to someone that you are supposed to identify yourself to the person that answers the phone. For example, "hello, this is so and so, may I speak with Mr Swinging Long Dong hanging to the ground Johnson please?"

Ninersnut
    Money talks and bullshit runs marathons
    Ninersnut's Avatar Become A Pro!

I usually pray they don't talk cause I usually have to ask them to repeat it b/c they are from India.

StraitShooter
    Miami Florida
    StraitShooter's Avatar Become A Pro!

I like when you walk in a store and are at the counter in front of them..Instead of saying I'll be right with you or hello..they pretend not to see you or give you eye to eye contact until they are ready to serve you

They damn well saw you walk in..sometimes its worth just walking out and not spending ten cents just to teach them a lesson to not be rude and shallow human beings

I always would tell my customers..I'll be right with you after ...etc

whatever

shari91
    shari91's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1689

I can honestly say that the CS people I've encountered on the phone since moving to Australia have been exceptionally polite - even when they're brain dead. And a lot of them are sitting in India when I call even though it's an Aussie number.

True story: I call my mobile provider one night from the hospital when my son was rushed in by an ambulance. I have about 50 calls to make while he's asleep but for some reason my phone keeps coming up as "recharge" even though I have a contract. So I call.

I get this guy who after a bit of a conversation where he explains to me that some tower in the hospital's area is fokked goes (paraphrased a bit):

Him: If you think you're going to be there tomorrow morning, instead of eating breakie in the hospital caf you should go to xxx (a local joint) as they serve big breakies for $10 with either a cap or flat white

Me: Cool but yeah I can't really eat much when my son's sick. Makes me feel ill.

Him: Yeah I now whatchyou mean. The last time I had to call the ambo for one of my kids I thought they'd need a 2nd one for me.

Me: Haha I guess that's the joy of being a parent. Anyway thanks for your help. You've been lovely and I appreciate you getting this sorted so quickly.

Him: No problem mate. That's what we're here for. I'm just hanging to go home and eat dinner with my family.

Me: Oh wow that sucks eating so late. So sweet that your family's schedule works around your crazy work one.(It was like 11pm here)

Him: Oh no mate. It's only a bit past 5pm. I'm in India.

Me: How the f do you know more Aussie slang and have a stronger accent than I do?

Him (in perfectly accented British English): Ma'am they teach us vocal coaching and local slang in training before we're allowed to operate the telephones.

haha I almost shit myself

Mammon
    Mammon's Avatar Become A Pro!

All the time.